Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this stingy?

(140 Posts)
baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 14:53:46

Grandma receives a free Confused.com robot in the post as she used the website for taking out home insurance.

A week or so later she wraps it up and gives it to her 7 yo granddaughter for her birthday.

Granddaughter is easily pleased - it says things when you press a button and it goes forwards after you pull it backwards.

Parents are bemused but decide to say nothing as daughter is happy. GM enquires as to whether she liked it and what it does.

GM has often been described as tight - has no money worries.

AIBU for thinking the gift was a bit stingy? Or are we ungrateful?

DesignedForLife Fri 02-Dec-16 14:54:55

Meh, the kid got a gift and is happy, what's the big issue?

Crowdblundering Fri 02-Dec-16 14:54:59

A gift is a gift?

YABU.

ElizabethHoney Fri 02-Dec-16 14:55:43

With no money worries, it's a bit stingy from a grandmother. Give her the robot by all means, but also another present that wasn't a freebie!

humblesims Fri 02-Dec-16 14:55:48

YABU and ungrateful.

WiIdfire Fri 02-Dec-16 14:56:19

No, it's fine. It wasn't 'free' - the cost if it was included in the cost of the insurance (like many 'free' things). If the giver and the recipient are happy, then thats fab!

ElspethFlashman Fri 02-Dec-16 14:57:03

YABU. That sort of thing would probably cost a few Bob in a toy store - why bother forking out when she got one for free?

WiIdfire Fri 02-Dec-16 14:57:07

If she had bought a 'free' robot from someone else on ebay, would that be better?

Sparlklesilverglitter Fri 02-Dec-16 14:57:40

I think a child doesn't care what a gift costs and it sounds like the child in question liked the present so what's the problem?

I think the parents of the child are ungrateful. Just because someone isn't short of money doesn't mean you have to spend it

baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 14:59:25

Oops - didn't mean to dripfeed but DD isn't into robots, has never been into robots - GM asked for DD's wishlist (fairy things, cot for her dolly, pencil case etc)

EatTheCake Fri 02-Dec-16 14:59:29

I don't see an issue confused

The child got a present, the child liked the present to me that is what matters not how much something cost!

Yes I think your being ungrateful

andpropersteel Fri 02-Dec-16 14:59:41

Bit grabby. Why does a gift have to cost money? She loved it, that's all that matters.

Etak15 Fri 02-Dec-16 15:01:01

My dc's would love that gift.
Who cares where it was from and how much and how much money grandmas got? She obviously knew her granddaughter would love it and she does!

baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 15:04:23

It's a bit odd as even if it only cost £5 / £10 to buy, GM would never have chosen to buy it for her - as it's not the sort of thing she's into.

It just feels a bit thoughtless I suppose, to give a freebie in the hope that she'd like it.

but no harm done so I do recognise iabu.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 02-Dec-16 15:05:34

What did you expect grandma to do with it? Were you expecting her to play with it??

is this your mother-in-law?

leaveittothediva Fri 02-Dec-16 15:06:26

Kid is happy, that's the main thing. Don't you ever wonder why people like her have no money worries, it's because they don't spend it. They are tight.

baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 15:06:35

She obviously knew her granddaughter would love it

No - she took a punt - DD isn't normally into robots - rather dolls and fairies. DD likes it but I wouldn't say she loves it (she's also very polite and probably wouldn't admit if she was disappointed)

baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 15:08:11

What did you expect grandma to do with it? Were you expecting her to play with it??

Don't get me wrong - we're all very grateful for the free toy - but I was surprised that she didn't buy DD something as well.

I would never say anything though!

EssentialHummus Fri 02-Dec-16 15:08:19

I'd find it very stingy.

baconandeggies Fri 02-Dec-16 15:09:22

Don't you ever wonder why people like her have no money worries, it's because they don't spend it.

This is the first year she hasn't bought DD something from her (reasonably priced) requested wish list.

AfternoonTeaBus Fri 02-Dec-16 15:13:35

Yes I would find it stingy, I would expect that GM would pass on the robot anyway and then buy a separate birthday present.

nancy75 Fri 02-Dec-16 15:16:00

Agree, in this situation I would have just given her the robot and still bought a proper present

DailyMailSucksAss Fri 02-Dec-16 15:16:59

I don't think she was tight at all. She clearly knows your DD well enough to know she'd like the robot, and so gave it to her instead of buying something. It's something I would do. No point throwing money away when you don't have to - I think you're being way too precious about it.

19lottie82 Fri 02-Dec-16 15:17:25

It is stingy. If that was a birthday present (presuming the giver has no financial worries), that yes, it's mean.

19lottie82 Fri 02-Dec-16 15:19:13

DailyMail....no, she' doesn't? The Op clearly stated that her DD has never shown an interest in robots and the GM was just making a stab in the dark by giving her the freebie as a birthday gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now