Talk

Advanced search

£5 note contains animal fat. For vegetarians and vegans

(158 Posts)
EveOnline2016 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:35:02

http://news.sky.com/story/vegan-campaigners-demand-animal-fat-removed-from-new-1635-notes-10676891

I hope this raise awareness.

I am not a vegetarian but people who choose to be should know that bank notes be aware.

EveOnline2016 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:35:17

news.sky.com/story/vegan-campaigners-demand-animal-fat-removed-from-new-1635-notes-10676891

CockacidalManiac Tue 29-Nov-16 23:46:13

If anyone feels morally compromised by handling fivers, they can send them to me.

QueenMortificado Tue 29-Nov-16 23:47:39

If anyone feels uncomfortable about holding on to fivers then I'll selflessly take them off your hands

QueenMortificado Tue 29-Nov-16 23:48:00

X-post Cock!

CockacidalManiac Tue 29-Nov-16 23:49:31

It's ok; we can split it.

roarityroar Tue 29-Nov-16 23:51:43

Not sure why vegetarians would mind unless they want to eat the money grin

UsedtobeFeckless Tue 29-Nov-16 23:52:58

Why? Are they going to eat them? confused

Mummymummymummyhi Tue 29-Nov-16 23:54:16

Dead animals in money. . .

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 29-Nov-16 23:56:41

I'm not keen on handling animal products, so am rather hmm at this. It's just such a weird thing to have in currency!

I plan to ask for change in coins as needed; I doubt many retailers will realise why I'm asking. Plus I never have enough coins anyway.

CockacidalManiac Tue 29-Nov-16 23:56:57

If you think of the unpleasant things that are smeared over the surface of a note over it's lifetime, you wouldn't touch any of them.

crashdoll Tue 29-Nov-16 23:57:05

How bizarre. My sister is a vegan and has been for years. She isn't offended by fivers.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 29-Nov-16 23:59:45

I think the story has only just broken so you may find she's not as keen on them now crashdoll!

I think that's it, Maniac: you can't physically worry about all the things that MIGHT be on money because you'd be there all day, but this one thing definitely is in/on money, and to most vegans/vegetarians it's gross.

JellyBelli Wed 30-Nov-16 00:01:50

Magnesium stearate is made from beef fat and some vegetable fats, and is a common ingredient in plastics, soaps and cosmetics.
If you wear plastic shoes, you are using it right now. I think most vegans know that and realise theres a limit to what you can do.

Grindelwaldswand Wed 30-Nov-16 00:03:47

But why is animal fat necessary in the notes in the first place?

cakedup Wed 30-Nov-16 00:03:56

I'm a vegan. Not over joyed by the fact but certainly not going to stop using them either! I always think of money as dirty anyway, will always wash my hands after handling.

As a vegan I don't eat or buy anything with animal products but I wouldn't think twice about sitting on a leather sofa if I was at someone else's house!

BakeOffBiscuits Wed 30-Nov-16 00:04:21

I trust non of these vegans and vegetarians have any leather products then-shoes, bags, furniture.

pregnantat50 Wed 30-Nov-16 00:06:43

it depends if vegetarians wear leather shoes, have a leather sofa etc. so really I depends the reasons for being vegetarian, health, cruelty or preference etc

crashdoll Wed 30-Nov-16 00:07:11

Lacontessa We had dinner together tonight and she mentioned it. She said she didn't mind as she had no plans to eat the note. grin

gillybeanz Wed 30-Nov-16 00:10:03

You can refuse to accept them and ask for them to be passed to the next person grin

CockacidalManiac Wed 30-Nov-16 00:10:29

Trying to make a joke out of 'dripping with money', and failing.

ThomasRichard Wed 30-Nov-16 00:11:49

I think it's a total non-issue. The composition of the notes is specially designed so that they're massively hard-wearing. If offended vegetarians/vegans want to club together to develop a substitute vegan polymer then all power to them, otherwise they should avoid eating them while the professionally offended non-veggies find something else to worry about.

TwentyCups Wed 30-Nov-16 00:12:26

I'm vegan - had the piss taken out of me mercilessly all day for 'not being a proper vegan now' due to having money hmm
Most of us do what we can to live our lives free from animal cruelty. Whilst it's true that I accept there are limits on what I can achieve in today's world - For example I take medication daily that is both tested on animas (as is all licensed medicine in the UK) and contains an ingredient derived from milk - we strive for alternatives where possible.
In cases such as medication and money there is no alternative. It doesn't mean I have to like it though, and certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't be vocal about wanting an alternative. This in particular is grating for two reasons. Firstly, because the old money didn't use animal fats, so it's completely avoidable. Secondly, because stuff like this leads to ridicule towards vegans, because we are forced to be hypocritical.

LadyJaneMortificado Wed 30-Nov-16 00:13:22

Get A Life.

While you are about it,
don't sit on leather seats in cars or taxis. don't visit anywhere with leather chairs.

don't be in the presence of anyone wearing leather shoes. don't shake their hand.

don't go anywhere lit with tallow containing candles.

and most important of all - give me your fivers.

FFS. What is wrong with people?

Manumission Wed 30-Nov-16 00:14:43

How odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now