Talk

Advanced search

to think that a post office is for posting things

(90 Posts)
Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Nov-16 18:15:21

Or am i missing something here?
Currently selling stuff on ebay for christmas.
Had 11 parcels to post today.
My husband went to post office - not an unreasonable or weirdplace to choose to go to , you know, post stuff, i thought. But what do i know?

He comes back and tells me that the bloke in the post office told him he was lucky because most post offices don't like/want/allow more than 3 parcels at a time because - get this - there isnt a lot of money in it.

I asked my husband to repeat it a few times. Yes. He is adamant that's what the bloke said.

So. The post office dont want you to post stuff.

Have you ever come across this? Attitude from the post office for using it for its intended purpose?

Or is my husband delusional or perhaps trying to get out of schlepping future parcels 😁

Aderyn2016 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:17:05

That is indeed weird. And surely whether the PO likes it ir not is immaterial - they can't refuse to take them!

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 29-Nov-16 18:17:29

I can imagine the bloke in our local post office saying this-he sees customers as an inconvenience. I'm not sure what the financial situation surrounding the Royal Mail is however the post office in my town is now a WH Smiths hmm

Grindelwaldswand Tue 29-Nov-16 18:17:47

How can there not be money in it ?!? You pay a fair few quid on each parcel depending on how heavy it is so he must have spent £10-15 posting 11 parcels ? Postman is obviously talking out his arse to avoid doing his job surely ?

PlumsGalore Tue 29-Nov-16 18:18:30

Weird, our WH Smith's now has a post office within it!

Manumission Tue 29-Nov-16 18:21:34

So what do they want you to go in for?

To just docilely present yourself for the
credit card/home insurance/holiday money sales spiel that usually comes at the end? confused

Weld's gorn maaad!

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Nov-16 18:22:43

He spent £29 posting them. Some were quite bulky. So not nothing by any means.
I just cant imagine any post office saying nah mate youve done 3 already, that's your limit!

Manumission Tue 29-Nov-16 18:24:06

So they actively don't WANT eBay related business? Or Christmas parcels? hmm

Can organisations be suicidal?

maxfielder20 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:24:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

londonrach Tue 29-Nov-16 18:25:22

But you want to a POST office to post parcels!!!

Lockheart Tue 29-Nov-16 18:26:31

Something's not right. I have an Etsy store and regularly post more than three things. They even have a dedicated service for you when you're posting a lot of stuff, called Drop and Go.

That's just weird. Is it definitely a normal post office?

OccasionalNachos Tue 29-Nov-16 18:26:39

I'm not that surprised - in my local post office I am often the only person with something to post. Everyone else is collecting pensions, travel money, or other stuff.

I am of the same opinion as OP, post office is for posting!

CantChoose Tue 29-Nov-16 18:26:59

The guy in my old post office (only last year) was annoyed at me for once doing the online labels and said that's why he was having to close because people aren't using them to post stuff. New post office lady encourages me to do it online and drop them off with her, gets mildly irritated if I do it the old way - though she tries hard to hide it, she's very nice!
I'm very confused by it all and just do whatever fits into my day at the time.

Scribblegirl Tue 29-Nov-16 18:27:18

No wonder we wind up with the likes of Yodel taking the bloody piss if the actual post office isn't interested in post...

Grindelwaldswand Tue 29-Nov-16 18:28:28

On another note i have a parcel sat in my airing cupboard for the previous tenant at this address can i just drop it back in at the post office and they can return to sender ? No idea what to do with it grin

WaggyMama Tue 29-Nov-16 18:28:34

Yes but it is fucking annoying to get behind someone who wants to post numerous parcels, weighing them and dithering over the postage, when you just want a stamp. hmm

Manumission Tue 29-Nov-16 18:28:47

Max darling that's not how to troll; Not just weird bitch plopping over all the threads in active. Don't they teach anything in schools now? 🙄

SpangledBoots Tue 29-Nov-16 18:29:32

I went in once and a guy with a big bag of parcels was told to wait until the queue was shorter because he'd take so long to be served. He was livid...it was so uncomfortable being served ahead of him. I'd have been fine to wait!

Maybe it's a servicing time issue.

CuthbertDibble Tue 29-Nov-16 18:32:23

Our village shop contains a small post office where I can take parcels and buy stamps but I can't post a letter. There is no postbox for letters.

Fortunately there's a postbox on the side of my house, over half a mile from the post office.

ASpiderInTheManger Tue 29-Nov-16 18:32:36

Op I had exactly the same thing around this time last year and posted a thread about it! Post office worker grumpily snatched my three parcels off me, tutted said "we've had loads of parcels this week".
I was shock and like you, thought isn't this what a post office is for! They were also eBay parcels so maybe they get cross about doing those for some reason? Madness though!

Follyfoot Tue 29-Nov-16 18:32:53

Am afraid we've just about given up on posting parcels at the Post Office. After years of poor service and obstruction, I now use private companies. Lat time I tried to post a new mobile phone abroad, the woman at the counter refused to take it and told me that no courier service would accept a mobile phone or allow me to insure it for its full value. She was wrong of course.

We dropped a parcel off at our local newspaper shop yesterday, and it is out for delivery today in the US. The whole process in the shop took a couple of minutes and I'm glad to be supporting a small local business.

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Nov-16 18:33:28

It's a little post office come sweet shop come bits and bobs come gigantic noticeboard and there used to be a dry cleaner bit but only if you were happy to wait six weeks and get someone else's clothes back 😂

it used to be run by two women who hated all of humanity but they've vanished now. I wonder if they finally bludgened someone to death for asking for stamps and theyve been taken away 😁

inchoccyheaven Tue 29-Nov-16 18:42:00

I work in a post office and we love people posting stuff. It's a franchise so the boss gets paid per transaction so makes money for every label printed etc which is why we encourage people to come in rather than print postage labels online as he gets only pennies for accepting them in if you do. We also encourage customers with lots to drop and go so we can do them when not busy to save a queue although this is more for customers that are doing regular business rather than if you were just sending lots Xmas presents etc. If people dont use post office for Posting they will close as other services are taken away from post offices all the time.

NancyDonahue Tue 29-Nov-16 18:53:24

Yes our local PO used to get huffy if we went in with more than a couple of parcels. We went elsewhere and the local one closed down.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 29-Nov-16 18:57:25

I think ours send its staff to special grumpy training, I took a parcel to send last week. Nothing special, nothing prohibited, neatly packed and labelled. My Lord, the sighing, eye rolling and tutting! And the price! I gave up in end, and sent it off for a five with dhl, got there next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now