Talk

Advanced search

ABIU that my senior management went via my TA

(9 Posts)
Kelsey28 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:45:56

I am a teacher in a busy school. My classroom has one wall made out of the same martial as a back door therefore it has several large glass panels. This is adjacent to the photocopier which means people often look into my room while waiting for their printing. As a rule this doesn't bother me. Yesterday afternoon my children were much quicker at their task than I anticipated and formed a queue next to me while I was working with a group. A senior leader came in and asked to borrow my TA and when she came back my TA told me "senior management said it isn't good practise to have a queue of children". I 100% agree with what the SLT said but am a bit narked that she didn't tell me, instead passed the message on through someone else. Previously when there had been lunchtime behaviour issues with three boys in my class the same SLT asked my TA to sit on in the meeting instead of me. AIBU?

cansu Tue 29-Nov-16 17:49:06

No she should speak to you at another time if she has anything to feedback. V unprofessional. I would be investing in some lovely colourful posters for those glass panels.

OohhThatsMe Tue 29-Nov-16 17:50:38

Did she borrow your TA to ask her to do a task for her or did she just want to pass on that message?

If your children were queuing then surely taking the TA from the room makes their wait even longer?

RichardBucket Tue 29-Nov-16 17:52:49

I'd be a bit annoyed but not enough to dwell on it for more than a few minutes.

But the last line of your post is key - if this is a pattern then yes, it needs addressing. Do you have any idea why this is happening? E.g. does the TA spend more time with the kids at lunchtime, so she was the best placed to sit in on the meeting?

chocolateworshipper Tue 29-Nov-16 17:56:06

is it possible that the comment was directed at the TA because she should have been helping some of the children in the queue?

maxfielder20 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:05:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WLF46 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:08:12

Not really sure what the problem is, you are the teacher and your teaching assistant is there to, erm, assist you? It sounds like they called the assistant out and told them because you were busy with a queue of children! I think you are being overly sensitive, especially if this is a one-off example. I really don't see this as them undermining you, or going behind your back.

cansu Tue 29-Nov-16 21:32:20

Anyone who works as a teacher would know how inappropriate this is. Comments about teaching should be directed to the teacher. End of. Smt sounds inexperienced and unprofessional as a result. I would speak to her and address it. You can be straightforward or a bit PA. E.g did you need to speak to ta about anything particular relating to children she supports? If she then repeats message say please feel free to come and talk to me in person after the lesson if you have any suggest ions or queries. Big smile. She is totally out of line here. I am not smt but even I know this!

CaraAspen Tue 29-Nov-16 21:55:36

That is totally unacceptable and I would raise the issue with the "senior leader's" line manager. You are the teacher and you are being undermined. It is unbelievably unprofessional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now