To keep quiet about my half day?

(22 Posts)
Ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Nov-16 13:25:08

I'm taking the afternoon off work in lieu of some extra hours I'm doing later in the week. No one knows. Dmil is picking up dd2 from school. I just want to spend the afternoon watching TV. Aibu not to tell anyone??

Kbear Tue 29-Nov-16 13:25:36

go for it! enjoy

Nabootique Tue 29-Nov-16 13:27:56

YANBU. I've done the same. When you work and have DC it is so hard to get any down time to yourself! Enjoy!

Fockers Tue 29-Nov-16 13:29:08

I did that once but dh phoned me at work grin

Ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Nov-16 13:29:31

Maybe I should go and put on a load of washing?? But then dp would figure out I'd been home. Better to sit on my arse and do nothing....

I used to do it all the time. I work from home now, it's a slog wink

No don't do washing! I used to make sure I put the lights and heating off before I went to pick ds up so he didn't click on!

Nabootique Tue 29-Nov-16 13:32:02

It's the only way Gin wink

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 29-Nov-16 13:35:47

I had a bank holiday in my work county which DS didn't have because school was in a different one (live overseas).

I took my swimsuit and towel and after drop off I went to a public spa and for lunch.

Never told a soul....

mumonashoestring Tue 29-Nov-16 13:42:02

Ohhh I'm so jealous! DH is a SAHD so if I get an unexpected afternoon off and need some peace and quiet I end up hiding in a cafe with a book grin

YANBU!

StefCWS Tue 29-Nov-16 13:46:51

OOh how nice for you, enjoy :-) you dnt need to feel bad

holidaysaregreat Tue 29-Nov-16 13:56:37

Going against the grain here - if I ever had some unexpected free time when children were tiny I would always take back responsibility as MIL helped us out every week in term time. I would be honest about it and ask what they think - if you get found out it might look bad. Depends on how much help you get. I always used to offer and it was rare they would say 'oh no don't worry we'll still do it' However now children are older and so easier they would be more likely to say yes (also we don't ask for hardly any help now) I would just end up feeling guilty.

holidaysaregreat Tue 29-Nov-16 13:57:35

In hindsight I would have worked things more in my favour though & get more rest! I was permanently exhausted for about 4 years due to toddlers/work.

Deliaskis Tue 29-Nov-16 13:58:24

Me too OP! Lounging on my sofa right now doing nothing at all. It's amazing!

clumsyduck Tue 29-Nov-16 13:59:54

Make the most of it . I have done and would do this again !

ElleMcElle Tue 29-Nov-16 14:02:17

Think it depends how much MIL does for you? If she does a lot of child care and it's quite a strain for her, I'd be honest and see what she says.

zofranks Tue 29-Nov-16 14:18:46

good lord no!! enjoy it, go for a massage, get your hair done, go home, lie in the bath, watch TV & eat chocolate in total peace & quiet!

Buttonmoonb4tea Tue 29-Nov-16 14:25:09

OP I'm doing the exact same thing. It's heaven brewcake

Bakingnovice Tue 29-Nov-16 14:29:34

I know I'm going to be a lone voice here but you should relieve your ma in law or at least ask. I used to babysit my niece and once found out my sis took a half day and went home to chill. I was pretty miffed tbh as I would've loved to had a break from babysitting that day. I know she was tired but so was I looking after her child all day. We laugh about it now but at the time I felt like she took me for granted and was being entirely selfish.

saoirse31 Tue 29-Nov-16 14:42:57

If it paying for childcare yanbu, if ur not paying ur being selfish

Ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Nov-16 15:49:55

I'll go and pick them up early

Babbas Tue 29-Nov-16 19:11:10

If it's half day off you have time to relax and then collect the kids from school surely? I agree with whoever said if you're paying for childcare its fine. If you are not then check with ma in law at the very least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now