Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to just ignore my Dds swollen eye.

(27 Posts)
rainrainrainrainmorerain Tue 29-Nov-16 09:45:32

My dd has had a virus and last week our gp sent her to the hospital for chest X-ray- it came back all clear. Last week her eyes were all gunked up and stuck together.

Today she is ALOT better temp gone, still feeling cold (she always feels really cold when she actually has a temp for some reason). But her eyes are clear. This morning one of her eyes has swollen up on the eyelid. Not majorly but certainly there.

It's not major (see pic - ignore face full of snot and egg) but I am thinking I do nothing even though a part of me says - no! Swelling is bad!

Aibu to ignore and see how it goes today or am I committing a terrible parenting sin?

If it helps the only appointment with gp I could get would be an emergency one or one in about a week.

CMF1812 Tue 29-Nov-16 10:02:54

I would keep a close eye on it. A couple of years ago my DS had a swollen eye which got worse over the course of a day. We took him to A&E in the end and he had an eye infection. They take it quite seriously as eyes are close to the brain, he had antibiotics and was admitted for the week!

If it gets worse I would get it checked!

chitofftheshovel Tue 29-Nov-16 10:12:23

Don't ignore it as such but isn't swelling a sign of the body healing itself? From your photo it doesn't look that bad - I wouldn't have gone to a doctors when mine were this age with that.

So in my opinion, no, you are not committing a terrible parenting sin at all. It's just little people can be grotty sometimes.

HermioneJeanGranger Tue 29-Nov-16 10:14:59

Don't ignore it! If it gets worse I would take her to get seen, you really don't want to be relaxed when it comes to eye health.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 29-Nov-16 10:16:32

Call 111 and see what they say if you can't get a phone consultation with GP. I wouldn't just leave it.

By the way it's totally normal to feel cold when you have a temperature. It's your body's way of telling you to get warmer which increases the body temperature. It also makes your auto responses like shivering kick in.

Cucumber5 Tue 29-Nov-16 10:19:57

Piriton would be my first suggestion but I'm not sure that would resolve it.

See Gp as might need cream or whatever

RB68 Tue 29-Nov-16 10:44:29

If the tear duct is blocked this could be an issue or it could be a sty which would need treatment - I think you should take a trip back to GP myself

sallysparrow157 Tue 29-Nov-16 10:56:17

Get her seen by the GP. Could be an infection in the soft tissue round the eye which can get more serious if not treated early.

rainrainrainrainmorerain Tue 29-Nov-16 12:10:25

Ok called gp and they offered me an appointment tomorrow . So hopefully be ok until then (or better by then!)

reallyanotherone Tue 29-Nov-16 12:17:04

I was going to say gp too.

I had the same as cmf- popped to the gp as I had to drive a long distance and thought some drops might help, ended up in hosp for a week on iv anti'b's!

rainrainrainrainmorerain Tue 29-Nov-16 12:22:21

She is fast asleep now I'm feeling a little anxious - she has been in hopsital 5 times since she was born and she's only 12 months!

Admittedly never with a red eye.

winterisnigh Tue 29-Nov-16 12:27:07

Hi op am so glad you are getting it checked out - it could be any number of things! Never leave stuff like this - I have been to docs with such things and sometimes come away with nothing but assurances and other times, antibitotics, once with swollen eye we went hosptial.

Seeline Tue 29-Nov-16 12:28:14

If it gets more puffy before you have a chance to get her to the GP, please go to A&E. My DD had a swollen eyelid that we went to the GP with - she gave us AB cream to put in the eye, but with strict instructions to go straight to A&E if it got worse as it could result in her losing her sight!!

Toddlerteaplease Tue 29-Nov-16 12:34:55

Periorbital cellulitis is taken very seriously. If she went to A&E in my hospital she would be admitted.

Guiltypleasures001 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:47:37

I think cellulitis as well sorry, it's not just her eye I'm looking at the colour of the rest of face in the pic
Hope she's ok soon

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Tue 29-Nov-16 12:56:35

If it is periorbital cellulitis she'll need antibiotics.

rainrainrainrainmorerain Tue 29-Nov-16 13:07:22

shock so should I wait or ask for an emergency appointment today! I'm so confused you wouldn't think I had 5 older children would you grin

I have never had to take any of them to hospital before and since she's been born I feel like o might as well move in!

AFingerofFudge Tue 29-Nov-16 13:10:11

I'd definitely at least push for a GP appointment today rather than wait until tomorrow.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 29-Nov-16 13:13:28

she needs to be seen today. Poor little poppet, poor you too!

lougle Tue 29-Nov-16 13:13:31

Sorry, you need to get that seen. My DD1 had similar swelling and I took her to the GP. DD1 was saying 'no needles' and I was saying "of course no needles!" then the GP caught my eye and said 'I'm just phoning the hospital to check what they want us to do'...as she mimed a needle in the arm discreetly to me!

DD1 had 3 days of IV antibiotics as an ambulatory patient (officially an inpatient, popping in and out of the children's ward each day for treatment, but allowed home in between doses).

Itis6oclocksomewhere Tue 29-Nov-16 13:14:35

My DD had periorbital cellulitis and the GP sent us straight to children's assessment unit at our hospital. She was admitted and given antibiotics via iv.
I hope that she feels better soon.

JellyBelli Tue 29-Nov-16 13:18:33

Get that seen straight away. Phone 111 or your GP.

rainrainrainrainmorerain Tue 29-Nov-16 16:00:47

Well I couldn't get in to the gp but I am going to the walk in clinic instead - it says on the website they deal with minor eye issues so seems ok? At least it can get seen.

I am about to rock up to the tiny walk in clinic with 6 children so wish me luck!

zofranks Tue 29-Nov-16 16:09:18

good luck - hope it is minor!

Cucumber5 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:12:46

Hope you get seen quickly. 6 kids is s lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now