Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why no one seems to sell blue plasters anymore?

(21 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Mon 28-Nov-16 21:58:03

I work in a supermarket café, I have to wear blue plasters. In my experience the ones I used to buy from Tesco's lasted way better than the ones we were provided (I say were, no one has replenished our first aid kit for months, what they think we're supposed to do when we run out of plasters is beyond me, as the shop I work in doesn't sell blue plasters either!)
I wandered around every shop that sells plasters in my town and no one sells them anymore! Why not? They used to! grumble The internet it is then, hopefully I can find some that aren't rubbish, (as in, you put a plaster on, then the first time you wash your hands it falls off. Grrrr.)

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 28-Nov-16 21:59:35

I got some at boots behind the counter last week.

rumpelstiltskin43 Mon 28-Nov-16 22:00:36

They're on the Tesco Direct website.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Mon 28-Nov-16 22:01:46

I sometimes find them in Home Bargains but other wise yep, the Internet. Amazon 100 for £6.

DearMrDilkington Mon 28-Nov-16 22:01:54

Why do you have to wear blue plasters?shock

harderandharder2breathe Mon 28-Nov-16 22:02:53

Boots should have them, if not it's worth speaking to staff to see if they'll order them in.

But the issue of the first aid kit not being restocked needs to be raised to management.

KindergartenKop Mon 28-Nov-16 22:03:28

So you can see if they fall in the food.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 28-Nov-16 22:03:34

MrDilkington blue plasters are standard for people doing food preparation

usual Mon 28-Nov-16 22:04:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Mon 28-Nov-16 22:04:27

Oh, I saw some in Superdrug the other day.

Fabellini Mon 28-Nov-16 22:05:35

MrDilkington It's standard practice in catering (and many other professions) - if it falls off while you're preparing food, you're much more likely to spot bright blue than "flesh" colour.

DearMrDilkington Mon 28-Nov-16 22:06:53

Oh my dps a chef so I should have known thatblushblush!

LIZS Mon 28-Nov-16 22:07:05

Don't wilko sell them

Dontfencemein Mon 28-Nov-16 22:09:36

DearMr Blue plasters are worn so that if they fall off and into food, they are likely to be immediately visible (unlike the flesh coloured ones).

dementedpixie Mon 28-Nov-16 22:12:23

Your employer should have a supplier they order first aid supplies from. The whole first aid kit should be kept up to date too

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 28-Nov-16 22:17:20

They also have a small piece of metal in so they get detected in factory processing lines.

SapphireSeptember Mon 28-Nov-16 22:37:09

I'll ask them in Boots tomorrow, I looked in there, Wilkos, Superdrug and on Tesco's main website (the ones on Tesco Direct are £28 for a box! shock) Superdrug have some funky neon ones (pink, orange and green) but I don't think I'd get away with those at work! I liked the ones I used to buy in Tesco's because they would survive not only hand washing at work but through me having a shower! They were super sticky!

Aha, Google is my friend, clearly the shops around me are rubbish, they all do blue plasters! I think I'll get the Boots ones. But will also sort out the first aid kit thing, it really needs sorting.

Njcr Mon 28-Nov-16 23:11:14

Blue plasters are designed to fall off easily. It's to encourage them to be changed regularly and prevent dirt and bacteria transferring from them to other things. Pretty important in a food environment!

SapphireSeptember Tue 29-Nov-16 06:39:03

I thought it was just so the people who make them get more money out of us! Also, they're not waterproof. They let in more water than the normal fabric ones do. I end up taking them off at the end of my shift and letting whatever wound I have dry out.

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 29-Nov-16 07:02:24

I end up taking them off at the end of my shift and letting whatever wound I have dry out.

and that really is good tbh. wet plasters are a germ factory. you need to change them often so the wound can heal properly.

if you injure yourself often maybe you need more training in certain skills?

SapphireSeptember Tue 29-Nov-16 18:06:17

No, I don't injure myself a lot, but sometimes small nicks and scratches are unavoidable in day to day life. 90% of the things I need plasters to cover up happen when I'm not at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now