Talk

Advanced search

Would she BU to charge her full price?

(47 Posts)
Threeboysandus Mon 28-Nov-16 19:35:29

My mum has a long term foreign student. She was arranged through an English school to stay with my mum from sept until May. The student pays my mum directly and then school directly for lessons. She is paying my mum 165euro a week for all meals and stay pkus my mum cooks for her and washes clothes etc. She told my mum a while ago she would be going home for three weeks for Xmas. My mum assumed she would still pay her rent. A couple of weeks ago she asked my mum could she not pay for the three weeks but my mam said she needed the cash, she eventually agreed to take 30 off seeing as she won't need to pay for her extra food.

Then last week the student told my mum that she was told by the school to ask for more off and that most the other students 'host parents' we're only charging 80. My mum said to let her think about it. Then today she told her that she couldn't afford to drop it to 80 but would lower it to 125 a week for the three weeks. My mum also rang the school and had words with the teacher for discussing it with the students as they had not mentioned it when originally booking her stay.

My mum and student had a big chat this evening and student is adamant that she shouldn't pay more then 80. My mum said she can't afford it and had she been told at the start she could have organised it and saved the money. The student is threatening to move out if it is not lowered. My mum depends on the Money but also hates being threatened like this..

StillMaidOfStars Mon 28-Nov-16 19:41:00

What will your Mum's expenses be for the student while she is not there?

Your Mum can't afford to not have this income? How did she afford before (and after)?

StillMaidOfStars Mon 28-Nov-16 19:41:46

Also, is there a contract in place? What does that say?

Arfarfanarf Mon 28-Nov-16 19:43:10

Can your mum find a different lodger?

I understand the student wanting to save money but she needs to understand that is not how rent works.

I rent my home.

I dont tell my landlord that i will be away for the next fortnight so wont be paying my rent!

You pay for your accommodation.
Whether you are in it or not is your choice.

It is reserved for your use and cannot be rented to someone else - so you pay.

This student needs this explaining to her.

And the college need it explaining to them.

Fine to reduce it by the amount normally spent on food etc and the cooking/washing element but she needs to pay the room fee regardless.

Your mum should do a breakdown and be very clear.
A for room
B for electric
c for food
d for washing etc

OhSuckItUpDucky Mon 28-Nov-16 19:43:13

What does her contract say ?

Moreisnnogedag Mon 28-Nov-16 19:44:26

Umm I'm kind of with the student on this. I thought the hosting thing was to recoup your costs really? Really though could the student find somewhere else to live? If yes she'll have to take the reduction

Threeboysandus Mon 28-Nov-16 19:46:12

Xmas isn't mentioned in contract just sept to May room and board. She has long term students so organises her budget for the months ahead around this. She won't starve without it but it's Xmas time and she has not budgeted for the loss in earnings

Questioningeverything Mon 28-Nov-16 19:46:26

Exactly what arf says

JenLindleyShitMom Mon 28-Nov-16 19:47:17

Student should only Be paying for the room for those 3 weeks. The extra for food, electric, gas, water etc will not be incurred so shouldn't be charged for.

Rattusn Mon 28-Nov-16 19:47:33

The contract is key here.

Generally, rent is not reduced for going on holiday.

In this situation your mum is providing catering and laundry, so a small reduction might be appropriate, but not as much as is being suggested.

Threeboysandus Mon 28-Nov-16 19:48:28

Yes Jen, that's why my mum was ok with reducing for food etc. She could get another student but would rather avoid it. I suppose she won't have a choice of she wants to stick to her guns about it.

OurBlanche Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:03

No.. the rent is worked out X over Y weeks.

If she doesn't pay for 3 weeks then the rent would have been X+a over Y-3 weeks.

Is the student taking every single item she owns out of the room when she goes home? I doubt it... therefore she is still actively using the room. Even if she does, she still needs to pay, as that is how the whole rent thing works!

And yes, the school needs to shut up and then make sure their future contracts/expectations with hosts are crystal clear!

HermioneWeasley Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:49

Contract is clear. The reduction of food etc is a good will gesture. She should stand her ground and also have firm words with the school!

Eaglesandbeagles Mon 28-Nov-16 19:52:14

Im also with arf on this, the contract doesn't mention any discount for Christmas so the student must pay it. I also dont think she can just up and leave mid contract unless the contract states that she can or else she may well be liable for the rent/payments until the time the contract will be up.

AntiHop Mon 28-Nov-16 19:53:03

Are there any short term students over Xmas? Or air bnb?

RobinHumphries Mon 28-Nov-16 19:53:52

The mum is also supplying electricity and water (well I assume the student is showering) so those costs will be reduced as well. I think £68 /week is fair to hold an empty room

cdtaylornats Mon 28-Nov-16 20:11:05

Does your mother want to have other students after this one? Canshe afford to be last in the list?

Fluffsnuts Mon 28-Nov-16 20:11:10

I'm with arf too.

We've hosted students. It's income, not goodwill. If a contract has a start date and end date and doesn't mention reduction for holiday weeks then full rent is payable each week.

GardenGeek Mon 28-Nov-16 20:14:26

No english students get a discount for renting a home over xmas,
If your mum can get a new lodger I think she should because when then the exam timetables come around it may be that they are off from easter and will have an exam sometime April-June.

So she could just decide later she is leaving again when she sees her timetable is clear for 3/4 weeks for revision.

Why not get a normal lodger?

Bogeyface Mon 28-Nov-16 20:17:04

I would love to see a LL's face if someone said "I am away for 2 weeks in August so will be paying 2 less rent"!

I think they are confusing a long term lodging situation with paying a hostel or hotel. If she wants that sort of flexibility then she needs to move out and find a hotel to live in.

diamondofdoom Mon 28-Nov-16 20:19:29

She should pay full rent. When I was in uni halls I paid my monthly amount every month, regardless of how long I actually stayed for. If I went home for Christmas or went to placement (which I'd be staying at 5 days a week for at least 2 months) I still had to pay and didn't get a reduction.

DixieWishbone Mon 28-Nov-16 20:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoliticalBiscuit Mon 28-Nov-16 20:22:18

It's a game of chicken really, who needs the other more. I think the student will give in first, finding a good home with reasonable rules is probably harder than finding a decent student. Tell her €125 over Christmas or 2 weeks notice or whatever contract says.
As above, it will come up again at Easter!

fiorentina Mon 28-Nov-16 20:22:45

If student isn't there she should empty the room, your Mum could Air BNB it whilst student is away. Otherwise student pays as usual.

Oldraver Mon 28-Nov-16 20:23:23

I agree she is contracted to pay for her room even while she is away.

But.....165e ? a week, Is that the going rate ? no wonder she is trying to wriggle out of paying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now