Talk

Advanced search

Barely pregnant and lazy

(43 Posts)
iveabigsecret Mon 28-Nov-16 18:21:30

I found out on Saturday evening I'm pregnant but only a few weeks. Suddenly the cramps I thought were period cramps make sense but I'm exhausted.

I've been shopping with a friend today and feel like I could go to bed now. Husband is wonderful and has sent me for a sit down and a cup of tea.

So aibu to basically make it to work and already arranged commitments but otherwise not do a lot. It's our first baby and no one in RL knows so I'm delighted but shattered.

Also please can you lot reassure me when I go to the GP they will be kind and not just pointing out I'm overweight(which I am well aware size14/16).

Thank you

PurpleWithRed Mon 28-Nov-16 18:23:35

When I was first pregnant but before I'd twigged and POAS I thought I was dying from some horrible disease. Felt exhausted, tearful, tits on fire, more exhausted. And sick. So much for the beautiful bloom. Your GP will be fine.

humblesims Mon 28-Nov-16 18:23:52

congratulations. flowers. yes first couple months very tiring (and a bit emotional). GP will be fine. 14/16 isnt that overweight. xx

Iambubbles86 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:24:02

Your body is in the early stages of making a whole human being, of course your exhausted, you are creating life!

I was an 18 when I had my first, they did keep a close eye on my weight to make sure the amount I gained wasn't too much but I didn't feel they were particularly judgy.

Congratulations

Iambubbles86 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:24:37

Size 18 not 18 years old (I was 22)

SparklyGlitterPants Mon 28-Nov-16 18:27:11

First massive congratulations on your pregnancy. Secondly only do what you have to do for the time being. On all of my pregnancies (4 demon incubations) I was betond exhausted before even finding out I was pregnant. I found once I was a bit into my second trimester I perked up a bit though. At the start it was a completely different story. On my 2nd and subsequent pregnancies I went to bed with my child (ren) at about half 6 each evening. Just couldn't keep my eyes open after that hour of the evening.

BreatheDeep Mon 28-Nov-16 18:27:13

The first trimester is the most exhausting in my opinion. I couldn't stay awake in the evenings at all.
GP/midwife won't care about being a size 14-16. I am too and no one has mentioned it. I think weight is only a concern if you're really big as it can cause complications in pregnancy.

MollyRedskirts Mon 28-Nov-16 18:27:29

The first trimester is infamous for making you feel like you've been run over by a truck. I was less tired when I was recovering from chemo than I was during early pregnancy! It's normal.

Congratulations!

MummyStep123 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:27:34

Yanbu at all! Making a baby is tiring especially the first trimester, lots is happening! Take it as easy as you can!

Areyoufree Mon 28-Nov-16 18:29:54

I had a friend who spent a lot of the first trimester sitting on the sofa, sternly telling her husband "I am growing a PLACENTA!" YANBU. Congrats!

Sephipops Mon 28-Nov-16 18:30:32

You're growing not only a human, but a new organ as well. I was useless early pregnancy, can't believe how much I slept! I would get up, go to work, come home, nap, get woken up for dinner and go back to sleep!

iveabigsecret Mon 28-Nov-16 18:30:55

Thank you guys..making me feel a lot less nervous about the GP stuff.

Feeling very lucky and happy just shattered.

I've been lurking on here and on baby names for a while so now finally felt I could justify joining.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 28-Nov-16 18:31:08

Yanbu! Rest and do more when you feel up to it. Don't worry about it.

I've been strongly advised by my consultant not to do anything to strain my ab muscles, so no vacuuming, mopping, lifting wet laundry or heavy things. Happy days! 🤗

CrohnicallyPregnant Mon 28-Nov-16 18:32:03

YANBU, take it easy if you can! I'm pregnant with my second, both times I spent the first 10 weeks or so napping on the sofa every day.

As for your weight, I'm a size 12-14 but short, so my BMI was over 25, and nothing was mentioned at all. I think it's only a concern if your BMI is over 30, and even then they shouldn't be judgy but there are legitimate concerns at that weight.

burgundyandgoldleaves Mon 28-Nov-16 18:33:40

Early pregnant exhaustion is hideous. It's like something that's alive. The baby is growing very fast at this stage and it does make you exhausted.

burgundyandgoldleaves Mon 28-Nov-16 18:34:10

Oh and congratulations flowers

ditzychick34 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:37:51

You are making a human being, it's hard work and you need to rest. Congratulations flowers

MoreBushThanMoss Mon 28-Nov-16 18:39:39

My first trimester I went from what DP calls my "usual hyperactive" self, who thought 5 hours sleep a night was "more than enough" to coming in from work at 7, falling asleep on the sofa immediately, waking for dinner (which DP cooked and basically fed me) then falling asleep again. Could barely keep my eyes open at work, and my hobbies (gym and running) were replaced by sleeping and dozing. (Very different wink )

So no YANBU - and you'll probably feel much more energy again in the second trimester. Be kind to yourself now, and get all the comfy sleep you can-before your belly gets too big, and then the baby's here!

sonlypuppyfat Mon 28-Nov-16 18:42:54

Feeling more exhausted than I ever thought possible was how I knew I was pregnant

SquatBetty Mon 28-Nov-16 18:43:01

Congratulations! I'm currently pregnant and a 14/16 plus I'm short and old. My BMI is over 30 sadly but no one's told me off about this - they will probably monitor me a little more closely though.

If you are over weight when pregnant you do need to be aware you may develop gestational diabetes (I did with my last pregnancy). It's not the end of the world if you do but it's not really ideal for you or the baby. Am sure your midwife can advise you further.

blueturtle6 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:43:07

Yanbu, go to bed and sleep, I used to go straight to bed after work, social engagements where cancelled. Luckily my early pregnancy was January

SpookyPotato Mon 28-Nov-16 18:45:10

I was so tired the first few months! But it gets better (usually!) I think it's until the placenta is fully grown at 3 months. Congrats! smile
I doubt they will say anything about your weight in general, if they do it will be in medical terms.. depending on your BMI they might refer you to a consultant, my midwife said if over 30. Mines quite high and I've just had a few more tests as a result but never for one moment felt judged. Looking at the waiting room when I'm there, most people are at least size 16 so it's very common.

SquatBetty Mon 28-Nov-16 18:50:12

Actually apologies - it's not my place to point this out and I don't want to worry you at this early stage. It's just I had it before and I know what steps I can take early to try to prevent it happening again (watch consumption of sugar and refined carbs and try to exercise every day)

karigan Mon 28-Nov-16 19:22:39

Yanbu. smile

When i was pregnant I had loads of energy from about 11 weeks right through to end of pregnancy; avoided all pregnancy complications and felt great.

Weeks 5-11 I got home from work and lay on the sofa. If my DH hadnt cooked me dinner every night I wouldn't have eaten as the thought of having to stand and cook was so abhorrant that I would have prefered to just go without food.

I slept about 12 hours a night during the first trimester and was still knackered. Then mid week 11 it just went- and I went back to feeling normal.

iveabigsecret Mon 28-Nov-16 19:27:35

Squat, I'd been thinking of gestational DM so I'm being really careful and keeping an eye on food and exercise.

You've all made me feel so much happier about it all. I'm feeling less like I'm being lazy and less worried about the doctors.

Thanks for all the congratulations.much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now