To get the dog to bite me so it will be pts?

(187 Posts)
midnightlurker Mon 28-Nov-16 14:51:11

Dog coming into my field and attacking my horses. One minor injury, several incidents of damage to the rugs (like little coats) they wear. Now a chunk out of one hind leg requiring vet attention. This dog has tasted blood, it will not stop here. We have beefed up the fencing as much as we can - rented land...

When I phoned the Police they were bloody useless. If we see it in action they will come but they will not take the dog as it is not a human it is attacking. And I can't legally hit/hurt it to get it off my horse.... So aibu to lie in wait for it then pull it off my horse so it gets me? Then it is a dangerous dog and has attacked a human, so the Police have to act.

Cannot see any other way to protect my horses sad.

And if the owner is reading this - STOP it! Put it on a lead!!!! It is not funny or clever to injure livestock.

DrQuinzel Mon 28-Nov-16 14:52:04

And what if the dog kills you?

WTAFF Mon 28-Nov-16 14:54:14

Indeed - what if it kills you or seriously disfigures you?!
M

Soubriquet Mon 28-Nov-16 14:54:31

When I saw the title I immediatly thought WTF!! YABU!!

But now it's not as black as white as that.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You can't encourage the dog to bite you though. You don't know what damage the dog will do to you. Or if it will even bite you to begin with.

Maybe the horse will kick the dog badly enough to deter it. Can you put up CCTV?

NavyandWhite Mon 28-Nov-16 14:54:52

You've spoken to the owners I'm guessing?
Really sad that this is happening to your horses. It's not the dogs fault though.

JosephineMaynard Mon 28-Nov-16 14:55:14

Isn't this rather risky?

What if the dog seriously injures you?

WalterWhitesNipple Mon 28-Nov-16 14:56:29

If you don't mind the possibility of being killed....go for it.

MysticTwat Mon 28-Nov-16 14:56:40

Don't you have the same rights as farmers?
To shot on sight of it coming onto your land?

Where is the owner?

Katy07 Mon 28-Nov-16 14:57:12

Mesh netting around lower half of fence - keep anything out. If you're inclined to lie in wait for it then why not just catch it and get the police to pick it up - they can identify it from its microchip and contact the owner. Trying to provoke it into biting you so you can have it put to sleep is a cowardly and shitty thing to do. The dog doesn't know it's doing wrong, it's the owner at fault.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 28-Nov-16 14:57:17

It probably won't bite you though. Think it through, if the dog regularly bit humans it would already be in trouble...

What a terrible situation though, poor horses sad

Have you seen any of this first hand?

Blackfellpony Mon 28-Nov-16 14:57:58

Just because it's attacking livestock does not mean it will attack a human.

Who does the dog belong too?

KoalaDownUnder Mon 28-Nov-16 14:58:21

Do you know who owns this dog??

StefCWS Mon 28-Nov-16 14:58:21

tel the neighbours that you'll shoot or poison the bloody thing if you see it again (im an animal lover so I wouldn't really) but if they love their dog then they might stop it roaming around of its own accord

or you could trap the thing and send it to ive with someone new far far away

StefCWS Mon 28-Nov-16 14:58:39

Live I meant to say

FlyingElbows Mon 28-Nov-16 14:58:41

Nice idea but it's bonkers and dangerous. Do you know whose dog it is? Have you called your local BHS welfare officer or the legal helpline if you're a gold member to see if they can offer any guidance?

TheWitTank Mon 28-Nov-16 14:59:39

Awful! I'm so sorry, what a terrible situation. As a dog and horse owner I completely understand your predicament. It's a shame really that the horses haven't managed to give it a decent wallop (and I hate saying that!). Can it not be shot for bothering animals?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 28-Nov-16 14:59:40

Can't you shoot it?

Some info here...

www.bhs.org.uk/safety-and-accidents/common-incidents/dog-attacks

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 28-Nov-16 15:00:10

I'd have thought the horse would trample the dog, quite frankly.

Do you know who the owner is? Can you put up signs around the field saying that a dog has been attacking your horses and ask people to call you if they know whose dog it is?

Have you seen the dog in action? Facebook post locally describing dog and asking if anyone knows who it belongs to?

MackerelOfFact Mon 28-Nov-16 15:00:20

Well the dog is either enormous or completely fucking stupid as it will presumably end up being kicked to death if it persists with this as entertainment. Can you put an electric fence up? Or spray it with water or something?

Don't get it to bite you though! shock

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 28-Nov-16 15:00:31

It's the animal accompanied? Do you know the owner? What have you said to them? Do they know their dog does this?

The police can act, because this dog is a direct danger to every person around it when it behaves like this.

If you can film the animal and its owners, I would. It's great evidence.

Are there children in this field at any time? Is it linked to a stables?

More details on police powers here:
m.askthe.police.uk/content/Q653.htm?viewsinglecontentelementid=32567

mumonashoestring Mon 28-Nov-16 15:01:31

The police are being fucking lazy - there's a requirement in law for a dog to be "under close control", i.e. the owner has to be able to recall it and get it under control instantly no matter what the circumstances. If this isn't the case the dog can be deemed dangerously out of control and can be put to sleep, or at least compulsorily muzzled when out in public. The owner can also be fined and/or banned from keeping dogs.

Are you a member of the BHS or Countryside Alliance or anything similar? Some of these groups carry free legal advice as a membership benefit and tend to be able to put you in touch with firms that have experience of livestock related or rural crime.

Esssa Mon 28-Nov-16 15:03:51

Borrow some sheep. Watch till it appears and worries the sheep then the farmer is within his rights to do away with it. Obviously this would require 24/7 observation to prevent damage to someone elses livestock plus be prepared to pay the farmer for any loss they incur for helping you. Plus a bottle of their favourite tipple. That should fix your problem! Possibly not a popular opinion but I would be desperate enough to try it in your position

Frouby Mon 28-Nov-16 15:05:02

I am pretty sure it worrying livestock is a criminal offence. As is being out of control.

I would contact your local dog warden who will be more clued up on the relevant legislation.

In the meantime I would stick signs up stating any dogs found worrying the horses will be shot on sight. And the owners pursued for vets fees etc.

Mileymoocow Mon 28-Nov-16 15:05:03

I'm sure farmers can shoot dogs harassing live stock, no reason why you couldn't. I'd be more inclined to take a rifle round to the owners house in hopes that they'd respect your wishes of never seeing their dog again though grin

Mamabear14 Mon 28-Nov-16 15:05:56

I used to watch our pony trample barbed wire to get out to the horse in the next field so I wouldn't imagine mesh would do that much if the dog is determined. It might in combination with an electric fence though. Someone stabbed one of ours with a screwdriver in the leg as they used to jump the gate to get in. People are idiots. The police couldn't do much about that despite the vet report either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now