Talk

Advanced search

To ask you for freezeable Recipe ideas?

(7 Posts)
livvylongpants Mon 28-Nov-16 13:16:51

Started back working full time last week after 3 years part time and finding I just do t have the time or energy to be making a meal when I get home.

So today I have had delivered a large freezer but am now stuck on what to cook and freeze in there?

Want to batch cook on a Sunday and just be able to microwave or defrost something simple when I get home. To feed me, dp, 16 yo DSS, 5 year old DD, 3 yea old DS and Toddler DD

Thanks in advance

atticusclaw2 Mon 28-Nov-16 13:21:12

bolognese
lasagne
meat balls
chilli
currys (various)
Thai curry
moroccan chicken
beef/lamb stew
stroganoff
quiches
pies
fish pie
cottage pie
shepherds pie
moussaka
steak diane

sugaredplumfox Mon 28-Nov-16 13:26:46

I find stronger flavours freeze best as defrosting will take some of the taste away. Try bolognese but with extra garlic etc, casseroles, chillis and mild curries as you have DCs. My sister also freezes cooked roast chicken and mash and then defrosts with a bag of micro veg for a quick roast.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 28-Nov-16 13:27:27

Bolognase with lots of veggies
Chilli with lots of veggies
Curry
Stews
Soup

My top tip is label everything! I freeze in ziplock bags so they don't take up as much room as Tupperware boxes, so write on the bag what's in it and when I made it

Freeze in single portions (the little ones can split a portion between them) so you they defrost quicker and it's not a big deal if you want curry and dp wants chilli for example

PamplemousseRouge Mon 28-Nov-16 13:29:42

Hi OP, Atticus has already come up with great suggestions, so I'm struggling to think of any more really. How about meals like risotto, soup, pasta bake, potato gratin or vegetable gratin?

THirdEeye Mon 28-Nov-16 13:34:00

I personally wouldn't batch cook --that much--; but l would make larger portions of the food you usually make and then put portions into freezer bags.

I would also add more vegetables/beans/lentils to make a dish go further. For example, when l make a bolognese/chilli I always add cubes of frozen spinach, finely chopped carrots/celery and a handful of red lentils.

Some ideas

Make a beef stew and serve with mash. You could make it with a pastry top (use pre made from the supermarket) for another meal and serve with some steamed/frozen vegetables.

Make a chilli and serve with rice/jacket potatos. You could then serve the chilli in wraps/loaded tacos/enchiladas and serve with salad for another meal.

livvylongpants Mon 28-Nov-16 13:39:59

Lots of good ideas thanks! And didn't know that about flavours melloiwng with defrosting!

Have bought lots of the takeaway sized single tubs, as between the 4 kids there's lots of meals they don't all like so liked he idea of taking out a separate meal for each.

The plan going forward is to cook extra and freeze but at the moment I have an extra freezer I need to fill.

Just made a pea and mint soup so that's the first thing to go in, hoping it will help my diet having easy access health stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now