Talk

Advanced search

Weird noise

(20 Posts)
Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:01:56

Ok so first time in chat i normally haunt aibu (lets be fair it can be entertaining). Under my stairs whenever it gets quiet i hear scratching sounds. Best way of describing it is a cat trying to follow you to the loo. I have no cat. This is disturbing. Ive emptied the entire stair cupboard repeatedly. Nothing. No holes nothing. Could it be from underneath the concrete floors?

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:04:03

Soo that was a fail on which board to post it on....

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:06:58

Reported it tobget it moved

bloodymaria Mon 28-Nov-16 02:08:45

Mice perhaps?

GardenGeek Mon 28-Nov-16 02:10:09

Its rats sorry sad
If you have no holes then don't freak out, they are under the floorboards or in the walls.

Maybe buy a cat as they can smell it so will stay away grin

If they aren't entering the house then I wouldn't actually recommend trying to kill them, as if they die in the walls then it will smell awful and you wont be able to get it out.

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:14:16

See i though that so i looked for the tiniest gaps bit nothing i checked all the edges of the carpet. Nothing. Next door last year was convinced she had a rat in her bedroom. Theres concrete between the houses can they eat concrete? Could it be worth getting one of those sonic deterrents? I considered getting one on the sales but i cant afford to get one on a whim

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:15:32

Balls im screwed then they werent there last month but now they are

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:19:09

Up until the last two weeks ive had issues of in between me and the other neighbourevery so often it sounds like soot falling down a chimney. Only no chinmey on that wall. I have no hope do i?

GardenGeek Mon 28-Nov-16 02:28:24

If you do love animals and you can commit for life, then I wasn't full joking about the cat grin

Since I have got mine I haven't had a spider last 5 minutes grin
If ones too high he will come and pester me to go and bat it down with a broom for him to chase and eat.

Im pretty sure the rats would smell it and if not it would start digging back where the sound was and that would send them off quick sharp.

Or can you borrow someones cat for a weekend?

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:34:09

I grew up with 4 cats but i cant commit to one atm. And borrowing one would be too stressful for the only cat i would borrow. (Plus hed be more likely to adopt them as children) Has anyone tried the sonic plug in thing?

AcrossthePond55 Mon 28-Nov-16 02:35:09

Yes, rats 'eat' concrete. Actually they gnaw at it to get through it. And rats can get through spaces you wouldn't think a flea could get through.

A PP is right, a cat is the best deterrent. We live out in the country and keep barn cats to keep vermin down.

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:37:42

Would cat pee work? Its hard to get but might be worth a shot? I just dont want them in the house proper you know?

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:40:11

I know how small a hole rats can get through and ive been over the area with a fine tooth comb kind of thing. I think theyve gotten into the cellar which has been sealed off. Im in a private rent is there anything i can ask the landlord to do?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 28-Nov-16 02:51:22

Call Crystalkil and get them to come round and give you a quote. Even if you don't end up using their service, the quote process will confirm if and where you have a rodent problem. They are good but a bit expensive.

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:53:56

Thats a good idea ill google the now to se if theyre in my area

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:55:10

Balls thats only london from the website im west midlands

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 03:00:46

There is one nearby thar does 24/7 counsulatations and no call out fee so ive put my numbrr fown and it garuntees a ring back within 10 minutes. Lets see how good they are

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Mon 28-Nov-16 03:12:34

If it is an inside rat, I think the Council will come out. That was the case in Birmingham a few years back, anyway, when we had rats outside.

Pretenditsaplan Mon 28-Nov-16 03:23:02

Speaking to the local pest control its £120 for two visits but ig they havent broken through theres no way og getting the buggers. Im going to speak to my land lord tomorrow and see if theres anything he can do but for now i just have to put up with the scratching. On to my next ainu which i was going to post but thought this was my mote important one lol

DixieWishbone Mon 28-Nov-16 04:25:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now