Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To think my child won't bath again?!

(15 Posts)
ChampagneSupernovaX Sun 27-Nov-16 21:06:09

Posted here for traffic as I'm new and I need help!
We've just moved into a new house if it makes a difference, and 3 days in this happened.
My DS has loved baths ever since he was born (now 18 months) the other day he slipped and half his face went under the water, he's done this before In our old house and it's never bothered him.
Ever since this happened he has been scared to sit down in the bath, he'll stand, he plays with the water, but he just won't sit down. When we try to put him down on his bum he goes rigid and screams, and if we do get him to sit he'll panic and stand straight back up again, I've tried things like extra toys, my DP has got in with him and held him.. I don't know what to do, I feel like it's traumatised him but I'm unsure why as he's done this before and I'm gutted because I used to love seeing him have so much fun (it's the one time of day he just went wild because he loved the water) any suggestions would be really appreciated!!

sleepy16 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:10:48

Don't make a big deal out of it, my ds went through the same and eventually he sat down (it did take a while though).
Just make bath time fun, and let him sit down when he feels ready.
I promise you he will.

3littlemonkeys82 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:15:14

My son slipped in the bath and point blank refused to get in again for a week, we eventually got him to get in... whilst wearing his wellies so that the water wouldn't touch him! He would only stand up initially but still dipped toys in the water. Another week or so later and he was back to splashing around as he did before... just don't make an issue out of it. Missing a few baths won't hurt him at that age.

SoTheySentMeA Sun 27-Nov-16 21:17:28

Interested to see what replies you get. My 18mo hates baths.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 27-Nov-16 21:19:50

Would filling the bath while he was already in it help? Or playing in it with no water at some point?

Make like there's no problem or he'll pick up on your tension and concern and behave accordingly.

Bearfrills Sun 27-Nov-16 21:19:57

DS2 did this at about the same age, he hadn't had a slip or anything, I think it was just an odd phase. We got a full length rubber bath mat so that he wouldn't slip over while standing and let him get on with it. It actually made washing him slightly easier because 90% of him was out of the water so we could soap him up then rinse him down with a jug of water.

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, let him stand and he'll get over it on his own.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 27-Nov-16 21:27:46

If he's still enjoying his bath while standing, is there really a problem? My dd (2) always stands or crouches and loves her baths.

Wolfiefan Sun 27-Nov-16 21:31:36

Can he sit in an empty bath? Fill sink and use a jug to wash him. You'll end up with a very small amount of water gradually going in the bath. Give him a washing up bowl full of water to play with toys in and distract himself?
This is why you need to watch them like Hawks. DD would often just kind of slip over and almost roll on her face. Scary. Couldn't step away for a second. Can't recall how often I had to catch the slippery baby! shock

Nanny0gg Sun 27-Nov-16 21:36:06

Buy a 'magic' bath mat?

ChampagneSupernovaX Sun 27-Nov-16 23:36:15

Thanks for all your replies, it's comforting to know other little ones have gone through this stage!
We had a bath mat to stop him slipping, it was just typical that the time we didn't have it in we couldn't quite grip him before he slipped - que mummy guilt because I should of labelled the moving boxes better, I couldn't find it anywhere!
Hopefully he'll just find his own way back to enjoying them if I just leave it, just upset that my slap dash moving techniques may have caused him to be scared of something!
sotheysentme my little one really started enjoying baths when I bought him some light up animals that go in the bath.. Sainsbury's if I remember rightly, for 3+ but he had them at 6 months and loved them and still does!
Thanks again ladies!

angelikacpickles Sun 27-Nov-16 23:39:19

Both of my children went through a phase of not sitting down in the bath at around 18 months to 2 years old. DD went on for ages, DS took quite a while too. Both eventually went back to sitting.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 27-Nov-16 23:40:52

My DD was burned in a bath at about that age (not our fault, really bloody stupid and odd bath). I bathed with her for a while as she was pretty phobic.

BumDNC Sun 27-Nov-16 23:41:36

My 12 year old hates baths, always has and will not go in a shower at all. Obviously I have persevered with it and tried all those things but getting her in and out fast seemed to help alleviate some of the anxiety

CherrySkull Sun 27-Nov-16 23:42:52

my kids went through this.

take him swimming, it managed to sort mine out smile

GlitteryFluff Sun 27-Nov-16 23:42:54

Have you tried seeing if he prefers a shower instead? (If you have a shower)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now