Talk

Advanced search

Children losing stuff

(6 Posts)
80schild Sun 27-Nov-16 20:58:21

I have a 7 and 6 year old. I started the school year feeling faintly optimistic that they were growing up a bit and becoming more responsible. It seems like they are regressing though - both of them are constantly losing stuff. This week we have lost a coat, homework book, and two toothbrushes. I just can't take it anymore. Aside from the fact I am irritated by it, I can see it is affecting them with me constantly reminding them and nagging them.

ditzychick34 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:42:29

Just make sure that you label everything, I love my sharpie!

Allthewaves Sun 27-Nov-16 22:46:50

Toothbrush?

Mine have mild sen so organisation is not a strong point. I tend to buy super bright coats and labell with big black sharpie. It's a small school so luckily most things are easily tracked down.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Sun 27-Nov-16 22:47:49

I have numbered DS's cardigans so I can track which ones leave and enter the house. After a few conversations along the lines of "you went into school with cardigan #3, you need to look for it in the morning", and not sending another in with him, cardigan losses seem to have calmed down considerably!

stillwantrachelshair Sun 27-Nov-16 23:02:29

I love the idea of numbering things where they have multiples of them.
7yo DD has improved marginally since I started following through more with consequences. She never seems to know where her toothbrush is (how??) and I decided I was no longer help her look. I warned her we were introducing this system, reminded her of the existence of her toothbrush holder etc. She has only "lost" it once since then as I didn't help & just calmly said it was a pity that her mouth was feel funny and her breath would probably smell strange by the end of the day and, if that continued, her friends may start avoiding her. I felt really mean but it did the trick. She also had to wear a too small cardigan to school one day as she has two, one of which went missing on the Monday & the other on the Tuesday. She suddenly found her voice & went and asked at the office as they're supposed to do at her school.

Shineyshoes10 Sun 27-Nov-16 23:06:37

I'm super organised, as is DH, sadly DSs are not. 7 year old DS lost a sock last Thursday. It was not a PE day and he wouldn't have been doing it anyway with a broken arm so why was his sock not on his foot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now