Talk

Advanced search

That learning to knit in my mid 40's is a bit naff???

(67 Posts)
plastique Sun 27-Nov-16 17:56:35

How do I go about learning to knit?? Possibly start with a funky chunky scarf using those enormous needles ???

twilightcafe Sun 27-Nov-16 17:59:38

Google "learn to knit" confused

Seriously, there are loads of online tutorials and lessons on YouTube.

steff13 Sun 27-Nov-16 18:01:15

I learned from a book called Stitch n Bitch. Yarn shops and craft stores generally have classes.

soloula Sun 27-Nov-16 18:01:23

YABU I'm late 30s and just started knitting and crocheting and I love it. YouTube is your best friend here. I've learned loads through watching tutorials there. I'm more veering towards crochet as I like the quickness of projects but knitting has much more variety in what you can do that doesn't look naff. I'm proudly sporting my own hand knit socks today. Look up winwick mum sock along on Facebook for links to her free pattern and lots of lovely socks for inspiration. smile

AmpersandRea Sun 27-Nov-16 18:02:18

not naff at all.

There are some great tutorials on YouTube.

PlaymobilPirate Sun 27-Nov-16 18:03:05

I'm in my 30s and taught myself to crochet via YouTube about 18 months ago - I've got a Facebook page now and sell quite a few of my blankets etc - it's eaten away my stress!

plastique Sun 27-Nov-16 18:03:28

Ok so it's not naff!! I'll be heading to YouTube for tutorials...what about those chunky needles?? Yay or nay???

plastique Sun 27-Nov-16 18:04:13

Playmobile... What's your fab page?

TheQueenSnortsAvocados Sun 27-Nov-16 18:04:38

Not naff. Or at least no more so than me learning in my 20s!

There are tons of tutorials on youtube. I'd start by buying a ball or two of Stylecraft Special Aran or chunky weight - this is probably thinner than you had in mind, but will be good for learning. It's quite cheap and also machine washable. Wool Warehouse are a good online retailer.

Try out some 5mm or 6mm needles - you can buy plastic ones easily on Amazon.

Then watch a few videos I can't recommend specifics as I taught myself from a magazine!

Good luck. smile

PlayOnWurtz Sun 27-Nov-16 18:05:20

Loads of tutorials on YouTube go for it.

chickenowner Sun 27-Nov-16 18:05:25

Knitting on chunky needles is good for a beginner as you can very quickly make something, and the stitches will be nice and big so you can see what you're doing.

You could try googling for yarn shops in your area. They often run knitting and crochet classes, or can point you in the direction of others locally.

MissClimpsonsTypingBureau Sun 27-Nov-16 18:06:39

Go for it! Big yarn and needles might be easiest as a beginner - easier to see what you're doing and a sense of achievement sooner when you finish your first project! Knitting is ace. I like theknitwitch on YouTube but there are loads of people who post tutorials - have a look and see whose style suits you.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 27-Nov-16 18:07:10

YouTube plus size 5 or 6 needles and a ball of Aran weight yarn and you will be fine.
Definitely not naff, and the chunky needles aren't best for beginners, they're too cumbersome.

Good luck, enjoy your new hobby!

MissClimpsonsTypingBureau Sun 27-Nov-16 18:07:31

chickenowner - sorry, cross post!

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 27-Nov-16 18:07:44

I'm in my 40's and plan to learn to crochet! Not naff at all.

AuroraBora Sun 27-Nov-16 18:09:37

I can't knit (have tried but I'm too impatient!) and I think the general idea is that chunky needles are hard to get the hang of, so start on medium size needles while you learn and then move up to chunky.

I might be wrong, but my experience is that I just couldn't cast on with the 1cm needles, but can actually knit (very slowly!) with smaller ones (5mm).

KurriKurri Sun 27-Nov-16 18:10:54

Definitely not naff - knitting is brilliant. I personally would find the easiest way to learn would be form another knitter - so if you have a friend or relation who can show you, or go to a knit and natter type group where there will be lots of people willing to help you.

Watching Your tube is Ok but sometimes it's hard becau8se they are doing it the opposite way round IYSWIM.

Also if you are left handed get a left handed knitter to show you.

Once you get going it is easy - like anything, it gets easier the more you do. If you can master knit and purl then you can do any pattern as all knitting is pretty much a variation on these stitches.

And if you are stuck for people to knit for, I'll just sneakily plug one of my favourite charities Knit For Peace - easy patterns for making scarves, hats, mitts. jumpers, teddies etc for refugees, people in war torn countries and elderly people in the UK.

ElizaCBennett Sun 27-Nov-16 18:12:49

I started sewing when I was 59! I love it! I have more time now to enjoy hobbies and I worry less about what might go wrong.

I say go for it smile

madcatwoman61 Sun 27-Nov-16 18:15:20

It is never unreasonable to learn to knit! Chunky needles however can be a bit unwieldy - 5 mm would be about right

FookyNell Sun 27-Nov-16 18:15:35

Taught myself to crochet mid 40s, now a very happy hooker grin

It is very relaxing and I love seeing my little ones in something I've made for them but I need to move on to knitting for the variety that soloula mentioned.

plastique Sun 27-Nov-16 18:16:49

Fab!! So I'm going to find a knitting group..not something I thought I'd ever say..hope there's wine involved....,if not I'll start my own

plastique Sun 27-Nov-16 18:17:54

Hahaha..happy hooker!!!!

Izzadoraduncancan Sun 27-Nov-16 18:19:13

So cool! I am a 40 something knitter and hooker. The yarn available and the patterns.... you'll be hooked and bankrupt in no time 😬

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 27-Nov-16 18:19:21

Nope, not naff! I'm late 20s & only learnt at the start of this year grin. Many an aged relative has tried & failed to teach me over the years (they did suceed with sewing, embroidery & patchwork, so are quite good teachers) but I finally learnt by watching YouTube videos.

OhFuckOff Sun 27-Nov-16 18:19:54

I can't knit very well, but I learnt to crochet 18mnths ago I'm 31. I love it and even I I say so myself I'm really good, can make a blanket in about 4 hours decent single bed size. I wish I had learnt when my children were babies as I love all the frilly bonnets and matinee sets and love making them blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now