Talk

Advanced search

To not want move house

(46 Posts)
ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 14:15:14

Dh and I have agreed that our 4 storey house is too big and too much maintenance
We have looked for alternative property in our city and we really really don't like other area than ours . It's full of bars theatre etc and really trendy .
To get a smaller house in our area which is only 6 streets of varying size terraces you either have large - can't afford . Medium - ours or v v small .
I was brought up in a detervhed house and am really really noise sensitive . I can hear neighbours both sides talking , sex etc .
Have looked every area other than ours - have to drive everywhere and it's just houses nothing else . Here we have a small theatre community centre deli etc .
So we agreed let's get an easier to manage house in another area which is a 6 min train ride away and it has the sea 5 min from house . Saw a very good condition semi with lovely garden two streets from train station to out area . We put offer in as the prop was being fought over .
Went there today it's beautif but very conservative in nature - lots of retired folk . Quiet .
I felt like I had swallowed a stone emotionally .
This is a god decision - logically . Good house
Good area
But boring to me .
We are in our mid 50 s and we love music theratre but cd cone on train for it ! But we just don't want a tiny house here -and our size is just too big .
It's v v hard to buy here as it is v v popular bro g full of academics profs and a certain vibe . If we leave ( been here 14 or so years ) we won't afford to move again
. Am terrified .

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 27-Nov-16 14:24:33

But you're six minutes away from the area by train! And it sounds like you're moving to a nice place. What's the issue?

I take it subdividing your current property was out of the question?

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 15:00:15

Yes re sub dividing as the kitchen is downstairs and then living rooms upstairs then bedrooms then more bedrooms . The layout doesn't lend self to division as the kitchen is accessed via a room .
This is a vibrant area and full of friends and intrest . Victorian .Other area is semi detatched unfirom and bungalows . Very middle England etc .

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 15:02:33

I guess it's because I've brought my kids up here have old pals all around me and a lovely lovely local pub and bar / theatre Intresting shop v near
The other house is an older demographic butcher post office but does have the sea !

NapQueen Sun 27-Nov-16 15:04:58

If your heart isn't it in it then you can't force that.

Dh and I and the two dc live in a garden flat smack bang in the middle of our ideal area. It's 2 bed and we will need 3 eventually. Sadly our ideal area is six streets. 3 beds in this area are ££££.

Even 6 mins away on public transport wouldn't be my ideal - far from it.

Could you rent in your ideal area a smaller size property and see how you get on?

NapQueen Sun 27-Nov-16 15:05:32

Alternatively, air B&B the rooms on the top floor and hire a cleaner with the income?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 27-Nov-16 16:14:08

I wouldn't want to move either. Perfect for me would be a house overlooking the beach with a city centre the other side grin

If it's four storeys is there scope to convert one floor or the basement into a self contained flat?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 27-Nov-16 16:15:04

Or what is 'v v small' because with four storeys I think your perception of your house being medium sized might be skewed!

mortgagefreesoon5 Sun 27-Nov-16 16:26:58

I wouldn't move from the area where you are happy. I am also a towniegrin I love living near shops, amusements, etc. I know 6 min don't seem a lot but I wouldn't want to move.
If renting the tops floors is not possible, could you buy a small size house, in the same location, and spend money on noise proofing the place?

mortgagefreesoon5 Sun 27-Nov-16 16:28:03

Your location sounds lovely btw

MrsMozart Sun 27-Nov-16 17:27:41

So don't move. Close off the top floor.

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 17:36:08

I can't Clyde offctop floor my teens sleep in 3 rd floor and another on 4th
We have the only other b room !
To close off bottom floor wd mean moving the stairs - the frount room leads to several rooms at mo
When I say v v small I mean two small rooms upstairs
And down only with offshute bathroom at ground floor

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 17:41:14

Mortgage
That may indeed be possibility
We did it with this - well thought we did - it was cheap board builder put on nit amplified sound instead ! 😳

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 17:41:56

Nap what are you going to do ?

NapQueen Sun 27-Nov-16 17:55:41

Probably cry lots. Then move out of the area.

I'm incredibly sad about it, and baring a windfall I need to learn to get on board with it.

My lovely uncle is a single bloke in a 3bed in our area which is paid off and I've been trying to convince him to swap (with us still paying the mortgage on the flat so he will be mortgage free still) but he is rather set in his ways.

He was telling me a while back he has it willed to me which is lovely and generous, so my suggestion would just speed up the process of course, as he has probably another 30 years on this earth will probably out live all of us

Dh and I have said we will buy a practical family home, and once the dcs move out, come back to these few streets.

Josephinebloggs Sun 27-Nov-16 18:05:46

It doesn't sound like it's time for you to move OP. If you were ready you would feel differently about the houses you have looked at.

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 18:10:02

Joseph yes maybe u are right
I can't get evicted even tho it is right on paper and for all practical reasons .
Nap all the best to you - I really feel for you .

Josephinebloggs Sun 27-Nov-16 19:34:21

I'm the same age as you OP. My house is technically far too big for me and DH, lots of rooms shut up and unused, but I'm buggered if I'm moving (even to release several hundred thousand in equity) because we aren't at that next stage yet.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 27-Nov-16 19:36:51

Unless you have an unlimited budget you have to compromise on something

You've decided you can't compromise on detached so you need to compromise on location. 6 minutes away is still close and tbh not worth crying over

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 19:40:15

I know harder it's v near but it feels different and looks different .
We have sandstone vic terrace - arty area .
The other area is red brick semis retired area ....

Didiusfalco Sun 27-Nov-16 19:41:21

I think youre 10 years off needing to make this move and you might feel differently by then. Are you somewhere in Jesmond btw?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 27-Nov-16 19:51:16

Don't move. You don't want to and it sounds like you'll be miserable in the new area unless the sea is a decider?

Get out your calculator and work out how much it'll cost you to move. There are estate agent's fees, legal costs, removal charges, redecoration money and possibly new furnishings to suit, plus the stamp duty.

Moving isn't cheap; that money could go on maintenance.

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 21:29:35

Didi not there no - where is jjedmond ?

ginorwine Sun 27-Nov-16 21:41:11

Good for you Josephine
How will you know when you are ready do you think ?

user1477282676 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:44:53

How is it too big and too much maintenance? You're only in your 50s and your teens should be helping. Don't move...it really sounds like you're happy there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now