Talk

Advanced search

To start dd at nursery before Christmas?

(18 Posts)
harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 11:38:52

I've just got a new job and need childcare asap. No family or friends to help. Dd was due to start nursery in January but now I'm thinking in going to have to start her next week. Is it a bad idea before Christmas because it doesn't give her a chance to get settled?

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Nov-16 11:41:48

I don't think it all make much difference really. It might be best if she starts when nobody else is new as the staff will only have her to settle in. And there will be a lot of nice activities at this time of year.

And if you need to start a job, then you have to do it!

harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 13:02:37

Yeah I suppose there will be a lot of nice Christmas stuff happening. I just can't help but feel guilty.

SVJAA Sat 26-Nov-16 13:06:15

Mine started November last year (1 and 2 at the time) and absolutely loved the run up to Christmas, it helped them settle in because there was something to get excited about every day.

HRarehoundingme Sat 26-Nov-16 13:09:59

How old?

Children start nursery any different days of the year - so if you want her to start now then why not.

nephrofox Sat 26-Nov-16 13:12:47

I don't understand what Xmas has to do with it. They're usually only closed for a week between Xmas and NY. She could easily end up having longer than that off after a January start due to illness etc

harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 13:12:58

She was 2 in September

harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 13:13:18

Am I being daft?

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Nov-16 13:16:41

I'm a teacher in a nursery at at parents evening last week a lot of the parents were telling me how much their school enjoyed coming. I was thinking 'I bet they do!' because even the most full on dedicated parent can't do all the fun things that dc do in a nursery day.

On a normal day there is
A craft activity
Painting
Play doh
Dressing up
Sand
Water
Singing time
Dressing up
A home corner
Bikes
Construction
Small world
Mud kitchen
Climbing frame
Slide

Allthewaves Sat 26-Nov-16 13:44:39

Nursery settling is hard (well for two of mine who were/are velcro children at times) but it think its a great time.

Day care usually decorated so it looks fab, staff are happier, so many different activities.

harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 14:12:30

Oh good I'm feeling better about it now I know that she'll most likely be enjoying it.

When does the mum guilt ever end??

SVJAA Sat 26-Nov-16 14:36:38

It doesn't unfortunately, well not for me anyway.

ConvincingLiar Sat 26-Nov-16 15:02:18

It doesn't sound like you have a choice so just get on with it. My DD has been in nursery since 6m and absolutely loves it. How much time would you have off over Christmas? Might be worth sending in every possible day for continuity.

Allthewaves Sat 26-Nov-16 16:54:07

Nope but I know mine settle well once I leave (I watch through the window lol)

Volleyfeet Sat 26-Nov-16 16:56:57

Just watch out for the bugs! My daughter went for settling in session prior to Christmas, caught a vomiting bug and had her first Christmas throwing up!

BeanAnTi Sat 26-Nov-16 16:57:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

insancerre Sat 26-Nov-16 16:59:48

I've got a baby staring at my nursery on Monday
We are also only closed on the bank holidays
There's no need to wait till after christmas

harveyyspecter Sat 26-Nov-16 19:18:21

I didn't think about the bugs side of things. I think she will enjoy it and like people have said, I don't really have much choice. It will be good for both of us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now