Gallstone pains, please help..

(47 Posts)
Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 14:50:31

I apologise as I have posted in general health but not getting any responses.
It's causing me some bad anxiety so I really need someone to clarify whether they had the same issue or if it's even a symptom of gallstones.

I was diagnosed January this year, referred for surgery, got scared and backed out.
Since then I have a gnawing, cramping type of pain in the upper centre of my stomach, it's like someone gripping my stomach tighter and tighter and then it eventually goes and then comes back again.

This comes on several times a day, everyday, sometimes omeprazole works and other times it has no effect.
The pain comes on when it wants, whether I've eaten or not (sometimes its worse when I haven't eaten)

I am scaring myself witless thinking its something more serious, its making me feel depressed. I know I need to go back to the GP but would just like to know if anyone has had similar experiences with gallstones.

twocockersarebetterthanone Fri 25-Nov-16 15:01:39

Sounds all familiar to me. I had my gallbladder out last year and had very similar symptoms beforehand.

Had it out and it's been much much better. Don't be scared!!

Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 15:06:27

Gosh thank you. I was worrying it was another health problem causing it.
Tried to google but couldn't find much, the doctor didn't tell me what the symptoms were other than the bilary colic I would get once in a while.

Confused59 Fri 25-Nov-16 15:18:24

Had similar symptoms earlier this year . Stones removed in April followed by gallbladder removal in September . It is an awful pain would rather childbirth and l have 5 children . Hope the pain eases soon

yellowfrog Fri 25-Nov-16 15:21:20

sounds like what I had with gallstones. I would suggest going back to your GP ASAP and rescheduling the surgery. The surgery is totally fine - way less painful than what you are going through now!!

Flumplet Fri 25-Nov-16 15:24:00

Sounds like when i had gallstones. Sometimes moved around to my back also. Do have it removed it was the best thing I could have doneZ

Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 15:31:22

The pain is also constantly in the centre of my tummy, its a deep burning cramp sensation. It is no way near painful as the bilary colic though, that's like going through labour contractions but constant!!
I will book GP apt tomorrow, I know I need to get this done, its causing me too much anxiety.

yellowfrog Fri 25-Nov-16 15:33:22

Honestly, the surgery is fine. Go in, let them do their stuff, come home and recover with tea and biccies on the sofa for a couple of weeks smile

Mulberry72 Fri 25-Nov-16 16:03:10

I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago f after suffering from choleycystitis for 18 months. As far as I'm concerned the pain was very similar to labour pain and I was hospitalised twice for IV (I think) antibiotics. Once I'd had my gallbladder out I was like a new woman, they did it by keyhole so I was in and out the same day. Hope you get sorted OP flowers

Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 16:08:01

Bless you Mulberry have had the pain you're describing, its worse than labour, because its constant! No amount of trying to get into a position to get rid of it, seems to ease it.
I have booked an appointment, not til the 16th December though sad will try to see if I can get a cancellation before then.

user1471465062 Fri 25-Nov-16 16:10:58

Please don't be scared. I had mine out 4 weeks ago and it is so much better than the daily pain I was suffering.

thecitydoc Fri 25-Nov-16 16:13:44

if you had not backed out of surgery ........

Millymollymanatee Fri 25-Nov-16 16:14:01

I'm four weeks on as well and life couldn't be better. It's a pretty minor op these days, go for it.

HolyCrow Fri 25-Nov-16 16:15:58

I had mine taken out. I honestly thought i was dying, the pain was worse than childbirth. I had keyhole surgery and was home by the end of the day. I had a few weeks off work but don't regret it for one second.

snozzlemaid Fri 25-Nov-16 16:26:43

I had a few bilary colic attacks and also the pain you're describing at least twice a week before having my gallbladder removed in April.
Go for it. It was fine and so worth the while to never feel that pain again.
I hope you get the courage to go through with it this time.

franhat Fri 25-Nov-16 16:34:04

I'm 3 weeks on from keyhole surgery too, the pain from the surgery was gone within a few days and the scars are healing really well. Definitely recommend. Gallstones pain is horrible.

Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 16:43:32

thecitydoc if only...
Except I had childcare issues at the time and bad anxiety about having it done. I am more bothered about the pain now than I am surgery and my husband is back in a week so that's why I'm going to do it this time.

RockyTop Fri 25-Nov-16 16:44:14

I've recently been diagnosed with gallstones and it sounds very familiar.
Sorry to slightly jump on your thread, but those of you who've had the surgery how long did you have to wait between being referred and the op taking place?

Flumplet Fri 25-Nov-16 16:48:39

About 5 months between diag and op I think for me. However i got a stone stuck in my bile duct and got jaundiced before I was
Diagnosed. They sped up my op I think because I kept getting hospitalised with infection - horrible.

Millymollymanatee Fri 25-Nov-16 16:50:44

It was quick for me. Referred in August, operation 31st October.

Potatoooooo Fri 25-Nov-16 16:53:55

Crikey. That's a while to wait isn't it flumpet
When I got referred last time it took about a month for referral to come through then you have to go for some health checks and to see consultant and then they book an op date for you. I think each hospital has its own waiting time, mine was 4 weeks

Hestheoneandonly Fri 25-Nov-16 17:22:58

I feel that pain. By far the worst in the world. Try buscophen ins tablets and strong neurophen to relieve symptoms

crystalballbroke Fri 25-Nov-16 17:47:44

I had it done 15 years ago, was in for a night.

The pain with attacks was the most intense pain I've ever experienced. I'd sweat, have crushing pain where I couldn't breathe, would have jaundice and grey stools (sorry tmi!) - my pathetic gp kept saying I had indigestion based on these symptoms.

I had attacks from giving birth until ds1 was 6 months when I finally had the op, after continuously returning to my gp with my "indigestion."

I have panic attacks and health anxiety all stemming from this time. I honestly thought I was dying and nobody cared. I was young and fully breastfeeding ds1 and feeing very vulnerable. I managed to still feed ds throughout and after the op, with him lying on a cushion at my side.

The relief after the op was life changing, but unfortunately I did have some complications a couple of years post op.

Wishing you courage and strength. flowers

snozzlemaid Fri 25-Nov-16 18:15:55

I had to wait ages as my appointments kept getting cancelled (initial scan and consultant appt).
I first went to my GP in August, finally saw the consultant in January and it was removed the following April.

Mooey89 Fri 25-Nov-16 18:19:54

You need the surgery OP.
I don't want to scare you But my surgery was put off for ages. My gallbladder ended up fusing to my liver, a stone passed to my bike duct, I developed jaundice, I ended up with sepsis, in intensive care and nearly died.

It's such a routine operation but if left it can lead to complications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now