Talk

Advanced search

Dentist and tax credits

(7 Posts)
keeponkeeping Thu 24-Nov-16 23:49:27

Right so I'm panicking a bit, I have been on tax credits for the last 5 years so haven't paid for dental work, every time I go in they give me a form to fill out my details again, to update the system, the usual name, medications, address blah blah and one little blue one to sign for exemption

I have very recently had my partner move in so have stopped claiming tax credits

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, signed the forms, had some treatments, left all was fine

But I've signed them all in auto pilot and it's only just clicked after having a conversation with DP about how much more skint I am now he's moved in and said I'd have to pay for prescriptions and dentist now etc that I should have paid!

There is going to be about 2 weeks gap between stopping my tax credits payment to getting the dental work

I don't know what to do it was a honest stupid mistake and now I'm imagining all sorts!

Does anyone know how it works, can I ring the dentist and explain and just be able to pay and all will be well or is it going to draw attention to what's happened and get me into trouble? I just want to pay it and forget about it but I'm worried because I've signed something albeit by mistake I'm going to get done, or they're already going to have taken the money from where ever it comes from when people don't pay and they won't be able to just take payment from me?!

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 24-Nov-16 23:52:17

I'd just call and explain the situation. Make a note of the time and date of the call so you can prove you have attempted to rectify the situation but the dentist will probably be able to advise you.

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 24-Nov-16 23:53:00

(Please don't panic as it was obviously a genuine mistake and I'm sure it will be easy enough to sort out)

JellyBelli Thu 24-Nov-16 23:53:58

Dont panic, you're not the first person this happened to and you wont be the last. Just tell your dentist you are not sure if you need to pay or not, and they can sort it out.
If you were eligible for credits when you started the treatment, you can finish that course of treatment without paying.

Trumpity Thu 24-Nov-16 23:58:36

What pp said. If you were eligible when you started treatment (from the checkup), then any treatment under that plan is included.

Just call them and tell them the date you stopped getting tax credits and they'll advise you.

If it's anything like our practice, they won't care! They'll just amend your records and sort it.

Don't worry!

Trumpity Fri 25-Nov-16 00:02:27

Oh and they should have been checking exemption proof every time someone on benefits has a checkup (and start a new course of treatment.)

keeponkeeping Fri 25-Nov-16 00:06:56

Ok I feel a bit better now thanks!

I had images of me being carted away to prison!

None of the treatment was started before I came off tax credits so I definitely do owe them!

I'll call first thing in the morning and hopefully get it sorted

They definitely didn't ask for proof, and I remember literally signing the bottom bit that says sign and not even looking at the rest of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now