8 year old is not too old for playmobil?

(36 Posts)
Lionking1981 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:26:49

My 8 year old has lots of playmobil on Christmas list. I think it's ok because I know they like it and will play with it for a good year. DH thinks it is too young and a waste of money, thinks we should be encouraging more mature things as our child is immature for their age. Their friends are playing on x boxes, building lego etc but our child is not interested in that. 8 year old loves playing schools with figures and taking them on holidays and to the park. Aibu?

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 24-Nov-16 22:28:22

Not too young . DD is 7 in December and she's asked for more . She plays with it a lot and I bloody love it .

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 24-Nov-16 22:28:36

Old not young blush

holidaysaregreat Thu 24-Nov-16 22:29:17

YANBU my DD still adores fluffy toys. Tell OH not to wish away their childhood! You could get some more grown up things too?

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 24-Nov-16 22:29:41

Mine is the same age and has a huge collection, to which is hoping to add another set or two at Xmas.

IneedAqueenMortificadoNickname Thu 24-Nov-16 22:29:53

Definitely not too old. My 10 year old has asked for more playmobil. That and lego are his most played with toys

PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 22:30:02

I have playmobil on my Christmas list...

We have the advent calendar this year (with no children)

sj257 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:31:45

My son is 8 and wouldn't play with it, but if yours will and they want it then get it! ☺

sleepyhead Thu 24-Nov-16 22:32:32

Yanbu. Surely it's about what he likes doing now, not what he might like in a year's time or more?

I swithered about whether to buy ds1 the Octonauts toy he wanted a few years ago because I thought there was a chance he'd grow outbox it as he was 6 and most of his friends seemed to be getting into consoles etc. It turned out to be a great buy, and actually a lot of those "grown up" friends like playing with the playmobil, Lego and the Thunderbird's toys when they come over (ds1 is now 10).

Blumkin Thu 24-Nov-16 22:33:35

Argos seem to have quote a lot of play Mobil on sale at the moment. <misses point of thread>

Scholes34 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:34:04

Consider it a sound investment for the grandchildren!

Sushiqueen Thu 24-Nov-16 22:34:36

My teenage dd still has all her playmobil and at 8/9 it was on her Christmas list. She asked for the playmobil advent calendar when she was 10.
So no I don't think 8 is too old at all.

NoobThebrave Thu 24-Nov-16 22:36:39

Playmobil is fab smile my son was an avid fan until about 10 when he switched to lego but 7 marvellous years of creation and play. Dont make them old before they are ready...is he immature or are others just pushed to be 'grown up'???? Playmobil or xbox...I know which I prefer!!! My DS also liked childrens engineering kits from maplin if that makes your DH feel better?!

DoinItFine Thu 24-Nov-16 22:39:37

My 8 year old wouldn't play with it and would consider it too young for her. But she was never into Playmobil. Her younger sister loves it and I can't imagine her growing out of it by 8. Toys like that grow with your imagination.

An 8 year old who enjoys imaginative play is not too young for her age. That makes me really sad.

I guess I was that kid.

Admittedly I am now an axe murderer. But a very successful one. VERY. wink

Let her ge herself. She's a little girl. There is plenty of time for computer games, shoukd she ever like them.

expatinscotland Thu 24-Nov-16 22:41:16

My 11-year-old and 8-year-old love it.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 24-Nov-16 22:41:27

Quite sad that any 8 year old would consider themselves too old for playmobil. It's suitable till at least age 11/12.

mumtomaxwell Thu 24-Nov-16 22:42:24

All 3 of my children love Playmobil! My twins got most of the space range for their 8th birthday this year. Their younger sister has her own collection too. It's brilliant stuff and my parents still have some of mine from when I was about their age!! Plenty of time for consoles she says having bought one for the children this Christmas

expatinscotland Thu 24-Nov-16 22:44:53

My friend's now 18-year-old DD played with hers till she was nearly 14. She's now a very well-adjusted young woman who has a lovely boyfriend, part-time job, just passed her driving test, is very active in charity work, an athlete and is in a top school for 6th form and looking forward to uni.

DoinItFine Thu 24-Nov-16 22:46:41

My 8 year old considers herself too grown up for all kinds of things.

It's less sad than it is amusing.

Kids are kids, even the pompous ones. grin

Differentiating yourself from your little sister is a big thing when you are 8 and there is less than two years between you.

I know, I remember how my sister and I never liked the same stuff to remind people that we each had different names and whole identities.

Ruprecthepanbasher Thu 24-Nov-16 22:47:16

My two have loads of playmobil as they often got a set for Christmas until they were around 9 or 10. To be honest, they never played with it quite as much as I'd hoped but we loved it so probably got a bit carried away!

I'd definitely still buy it for your son at age 8. My 9 year old has asked for a huge (and I mean HUGE) teddy for Christmas and we're torn between thinking he's too old and buying it as it will probably be the last Christmas that he wants a cuddly.

TreehouseTales Thu 24-Nov-16 22:52:00

I wouldn't have bought it for an 8 year old (mine prefers lego etc) but if your kid likes it buy it!

OvO Thu 24-Nov-16 22:55:42

My DS just turned 9 and still loves Playmobil.

I wanted to buy some more dino stuff this Christmas but when I looked last week it seems they've stopped doing it. <sadface>

5foot5 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:30:18

Oh Playmobil is terrific isn't it? I remember it took DH and I 4 hours and 2 bottles of wine to build the fairy tail castle but it left me almost wishing I was German.

I am sure my DD was still playing with it a lot at 8. Go for it.

Oh the advent calendars... We had two but gave them away to a young relative when DD was a teenager. How I miss them sad

5foot5 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:32:06

Fairy tale. Jeez. What would fairies look like with tails?

mygorgeousmilo Thu 24-Nov-16 23:33:36

Not too old. There's a playmobil land in Fresnes just outside of Paris, my kids absolutely love it. It's something like €3 entry and the playmobil is cheaper there, too! Also they often do good deals on Argos and eBay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now