Talk

Advanced search

To be terrified by this article?

(20 Posts)
user1477282676 Thu 24-Nov-16 21:45:50

www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/24/ifs-warnsf-biggest-squeeze-on-pay-for-70-years-autumn-statement?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Facebook

It's bloody frightening!

Workers in Britain face the longest squeeze on their pay for 70 years as Brexit knocks wage growth and stokes inflation, a leading thinktank has said.

Picking over Philip Hammond’s first autumn statement, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said that by 2021, real wages in the UK – pay adjusted for inflation – will still not have recovered to their 2008 level before the global financial crisis hit.

PlayOnWurtz Thu 24-Nov-16 21:54:53

Yabu to not find a neutral take on things. The guardian is as biased as the mail and loves to generate hysteria.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 24-Nov-16 21:57:06

Yes YABU. It's the guardian, they love hysteria.

You get antsy, share it here, lots of people click it, other people share it too, they get lots of clicks = lots of money = lots more bollocks articles that spread hysteria, and on it goes.

ego147 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:09:49

The guardian is as biased as the mail and loves to generate hysteria

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/24/eurosceptics-attack-doom-gloom-autumn-statement-predictions/

*The IFS also warned that wages will not have risen in real terms for more than a decade in a downturn not seen since the aftermath of World War II.

They predicted that in 2021 wages will still not be as high as they were in 2008 as it criticised the "dreadful" impact on workers*

I don't think the Telegraph is like the Guardian

ego147 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:12:14

And the same 'hysteria' in the DM

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3968252/Real-wages-worth-2021-2008-Brexit-slowdown-makes-stall-salary-growth-worst-end-World-War-2.html

So you should really be attacking the IFS

daryldixonishot Thu 24-Nov-16 22:18:52

Well as a Civil Servant I haven't had a pay rise since 2008 so the thought of not having another one until 2021 is quite frightening!

daryldixonishot Thu 24-Nov-16 22:19:32

The same story on BBC NEWS BTW!

specialsubject Thu 24-Nov-16 22:20:51

Not news. Hasn't anyone noticed real inflation and lack of payrises? Been the same for five years or more.

ego147 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:24:18

Yabu to not find a neutral take on things

I'm not sure how you can take a neutral take on this. If you report the facts of the IFS report, then that is neutral.

It can be spun - but if you simply report what the IFS said, then it's not good.

"The outlook for wages is "dreadful" with the squeeze on pay lasting for more than 10 years, independent economists have said.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said workers would earn less in real wages in 2021 than they did in 2008.

Other analysis shows the biggest losers between now and 2020 will be lower income families, with the poorest third likely to see incomes drop."

ego147 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:25:24

Hasn't anyone noticed real inflation and lack of payrises? Been the same for five years or more

Till 2021?

BadKnee Thu 24-Nov-16 22:57:56

This has been going on for years so it isn't because of Brexit. In fact Brexit was probably partly a consequence of this.

The uncertainty however is partly due to Brexit.

Grilledaubergines Thu 24-Nov-16 23:39:00

You can't blame Brexit for this, try as you might.

I've not had a pay rise in 11 years. Brexit wasn't even a word back then.

ego147 Fri 25-Nov-16 07:00:29

You can't blame Brexit for this, try as you might

Do you think Brexit may play a part in the fact that the situation will probably not improve till 2021 - as the economic outlook is uncertain?

YelloDraw Fri 25-Nov-16 09:09:08

I've not had a pay rise in 11 years. Brexit wasn't even a word back then

No promotion in 11 years?

Livelovebehappy Fri 25-Nov-16 09:28:29

A lot of companies have tiered pay rises now, so that to get a pay rise you need to go for promotions every year, otherwise you're at the top of your pay range and will get a nominal tiny gesture of an annual pay rise. Some people don't want to progress and are happy doing the job they're doing, but are then penalised for it. Pay should rise in line with cost of living increases, regardless of whether you want to go for promotion or not.

hackmum Fri 25-Nov-16 09:31:13

PlayonWurtz: "The guardian is as biased as the mail and loves to generate hysteria."

I don't think you can have read the story properly. This is a news story reporting what the Institute of Fiscal Studies is saying. Do you think the Guardian is making up the IFS quotes or something?

NathanBarleyrocks Fri 25-Nov-16 11:15:47

Pay rise? I am on about half what I was before the recession hit due to redundancy & lack of job opportunities.

wasonthelist Fri 25-Nov-16 11:52:51

My income has reduced in actual terms by 40% (more in real terms i.e allowing for inflation) since 2008 that has "fuck all* to do with Brexit.

Loads of us are already living this, and have been since way before the referendum.

wasonthelist Fri 25-Nov-16 11:54:17

YAB totally U to be "terrified" - it's been going on for ages

FaFoutis Fri 25-Nov-16 11:59:15

It is just telling us what we already knew. I can't remember my last proper pay rise and dh has been promoted but still no pay rise. It has been years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now