To feel panicky about repeat blood tests?

(10 Posts)
JustSpeakSense Thu 24-Nov-16 17:29:04

After a recent visit to the doctor I was offered routine blood tests (cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid etc) today I got a phone call from the receptionist to say after receiving the results the doctor has requested further 'full blood tests' in a months time.

The receptionist could not tell me why, or if there was a problem (there obviously is) she kept repeating that she was not able to talk to me about results just book an appointment for more tests.

I have booked an appointment next week to discuss the results with the doctor.

Should I be worried? Is this common?

WindPowerRanger Thu 24-Nov-16 17:32:36

Some things might not be caught with just one test. Other things might need a comparison or monitoring over time.

The latter was the case for me with my white cell count (one aspect of it remained low over months, which was actually good news: it turned out that such a low level was actually natural for me. Had the doctor only relied on the first test, I could have ended up having unnecessary invasive treatment).

Mrsemcgregor Thu 24-Nov-16 17:35:17

Similar to pp, my white count was high (indicating it was fighting something) so had to do a repeat a month later to check I wasn't still fighting something. Talk to the GP and he/she can tell you why.

HughLauriesStubble Thu 24-Nov-16 17:36:35

I agree with wind, I wouldn't worry about it. More than likely the gp just wants to make sure the results are consistent before proceeding with treatment. If it were anything serious surely the gp wouldn't wait a whole month to do repeats anyway?

Temporaryname137 Thu 24-Nov-16 17:37:20

I got told I had high cholesterol, and they didn't ask for a re-test, they simply texted me and said, "abnormal result, please come into the surgery". So I think yours sounds more as if they think there's a minor anomaly in the test.

If they thought there was anything serious or to worry about, they wouldn't wait a month, I'm sure!

JustSpeakSense Thu 24-Nov-16 23:05:59

Thank you all for your responses

carelesswhisper27 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:10:11

I agree if it was something they were overly concerned about they'd have you back in immediately.

It's likely a slight anomaly, they want to check for fluctuation over time; in case they caught the start or end of something for example. Your GP will be able to explain specifically what the anomaly was - and how 'abnormal' it was; in my case it was only ever so slightly out.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 24-Nov-16 23:13:50

As others have said, it unlikely to be anything to worry about.

However, I suggest you ask the surgery for a print out of the results which will show a set of numbers under each function tested and post them on the General Health board to ascertain why your doctor has asked for a repeat in a month's time.

Tezza1 Fri 25-Nov-16 04:22:49

Isn't it routine to have to actually see the doctor face to face to get the results of blood tests? I have to have a blood test every three months, and I have to physically go in to see him and get the results.

Hellochicken Fri 25-Nov-16 11:17:57

It is really common. If it was something worrying then the Dr should ask you to make an appointment to discuss - not just repeat it.

Like pp said with 2 results, they can see if their is a trend etc

If it was on the borderline of one of the normal ranges, then if repeated and it is back in normal range then often nothing further needs to be done. Particularly if you arent having symptoms and the bloods were just ordered routinely.

This is one of the problems with "routine" blood tests, but your Dr must have thought the advantages of the tests outweigh the risks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now