Talk

Advanced search

To call social services?

(70 Posts)
Latetotheparty26 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:29:39

DD's friend from nursery (19 months old), got picked up by both parents yesterday I saw mum get in the back of the car and she placed their child on the floor between her legs and dad drove off. No car seat, nothing. I was gobsmacked that ppl could do that, with no regard for her safety!
I told the Nursery manager this morning who called social services and the police. Both services told her that because she didn't witness the incident, they couldn't do anything about it! So - should I call them? Or should I confront them myself when I see them next?

MaryManchego Thu 24-Nov-16 12:32:35

I've seen someone do similar. I called the police immediately on 101 with the registration number and direction they were heading (they put a child in the front footwell)

DartmoorDoughnut Thu 24-Nov-16 12:33:18

Of course you should!

ChipIn Thu 24-Nov-16 12:34:32

What good would come from confronting them? It'll more than likely just get their defences up and cause issues. Call social services. The nursery manager, I expect, is fully trained in how to deal with such incidents and she saw it fit to involve SS and the police, therefore it seems logical to me that you would.

MistressMolecules Thu 24-Nov-16 12:35:01

If you witnessed it and that is the only reason they can't do anything or say anything to the parents as the nursery manager didn't witness it then yes you should.

user1471451684 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:35:09

I wouldn't call as it has nothing to do with me, footwell I would expect is safer than unsecured on the seat

Lottapianos Thu 24-Nov-16 12:36:17

Absolutely right to be concerned and to contact Social Care. I would avoid confronting them however as no good is likely to come from it. Well done for recognising a huge risk when you see it and actually acting on your concerns, rather than looking the other way

Leanback Thu 24-Nov-16 12:42:55

user thats a very harmful attitude. We all have a duty to report legitimate concerns when it comes to the welfare and harm of a child.

user1471950254 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:47:20

Shocking! As they can't deal as the nursery worker did not witness it I would definitely report it.

user1471451684 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:50:56

Yes there is a duty for me the duty kicks in at a higher level. I hate the thaught of government interference in my life. I have intentionally moved my family to a remote area so they can live freely, and therefore wouldn't do it to others.

NavyandWhite Thu 24-Nov-16 12:57:20

I doubt SS have the resources or the inclination to act on this tbh.

Maybe the nursery manager could speak to them?

WouldHave Thu 24-Nov-16 12:57:29

Certainly report it. But it would make sense for the nursery to station someone outside at collection time so that if they see the same thing they can back you up.

mouldycheesefan Thu 24-Nov-16 12:57:40

Wonder why the nursery manager isn't raising it with the parents?
User147 surely living freely doesn't extend to not using the appropriate car restraints, that is nonsense. What if someone was abusing a child, would that be their free living choice?
"It takes a village to raise a child" is true. If everyone in that village ignores a child in danger because it's their living free choice, then that is frankly ridiculous.

Losingtheplod Thu 24-Nov-16 12:57:48

I would leave it this time, as SS and police have already been made aware. If you see them do it again though, I'd make a note of the registration, and call the police at the time.

chipsandgin Thu 24-Nov-16 13:00:17

Intentionally moved your family to a remote area so you can do things like this & put your child in danger userblahblah684, surely not?

Putting your child in the footwell isn't 'living freely' it is being a shit parent.

Reporting shit parents to SS/police isn't 'government interference', it is putting the needs and welfare of the child above the idiocy of the parent.

Hope you reported OP

WouldHave Thu 24-Nov-16 13:01:17

user1471451684, a child in the footwell would almost certainly be crushed to death in a front end collision, and would be injured in virtually any other type of accident. If you were in this situation and heard subsequently that the child had been killed, would you really be so sure that your decision to say nothing was the right one?

As for government interference in your life - sorry, sometimes that's the price we pay for ensuring that children are safe.

user1471451684 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:02:50

Mouldy I am saying that for me my sense of duty to protect would kick in at a higher level such as abuse.

SVJAA Thu 24-Nov-16 13:03:22

user1471451684 neither is safe! In the event of a head on smash the entire engine block could end up in the footwell.

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 24-Nov-16 13:03:35

user684 don't be so bloody ridiculous. I hope you don't ever do that to a child, are you really that uneducated that you think that is safe?!

WouldHave Thu 24-Nov-16 13:03:37

I would leave it this time, as SS and police have already been made aware

Dangerous advice given that both have said they will do nothing at all unless someone like OP reports this.

WouldHave Thu 24-Nov-16 13:05:18

user1471451684, do you seriously say that a child being put at risk of death or very serious injury is a "lower level" concern than abuse such that you can ignore it?

user1471451684 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:06:05

In my state they just repealed the manditory seatbelt law. Therefore it's not a legal requirement to secure you or your kids. People still do because logic and reason suggests that it's a sensible thing.

Ragwort Thu 24-Nov-16 13:06:46

Would the social services/Police really have the resources to go and investigate?

WouldHave Thu 24-Nov-16 13:08:35

When it comes to the safety of a child, yes they would, Ragwort.

NavyandWhite Thu 24-Nov-16 13:10:06

Ragwort ime no they wouldn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now