Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour is driving me insane- AIBU

(16 Posts)
torroloco Wed 23-Nov-16 20:29:35

I moved into a flat a year ago. At first- all was fine. I even got on with my next door neighbour- while we weren't the best of friends we could have a chat on the porch etc and a couple of times i've gone to knock for a bit of milk/bread/eggs etc if I was a bit short before payday.

Anyway- approx 4 months ago he brought 2 large Alsatian type dogs. To live in a one bedroom flat, and to be left there 12 hours a day while he works.

He either leaves them in the garden- which is covered in dog shit and stinks. I honestly don't think he has picked up a single dog turd in the garden- and my bedroom overlooks his garden so I can never leave my bedroom window open which obviously isn't ideal as it isn't getting any air.

And then theres the barking- it's either in the garden which frightens the children next door (and keeping in mind they were out there all during the summer holidays so the kids could barely play in the garden) and not to mention keeps me awake- not ideal if i've been working nights. And if they are kept inside it comes through the floors- and it literally feels like the floors are vibrating. They can do this constantly for up to 2/3 hours.

Neighbour has tried to approach him- but was met with a physical altercation. I believe the police were called but unsure what the outcome was.

I contacted my landlord assuming he had the same landlord as me and 2 other neighbours- but it turned out he owns the property. Telephoned environmental health about the dog shit but I don't know if that went anywhere- they seemed totally uninterested.

I'm at my wits end.

AIBU and what the hell can I do?

pipsqueak25 Wed 23-Nov-16 22:16:22

talk to environmental health again asap barking for a start, this is spoiling the enjoyment of your home, you could also speak to rspca to get advice as this does not sound like good conditions for the animals, being left for hours on end and the flat is possibly shitty if there are two dogs locked in. you could also speak to your neighbour who spoke to him and get feed back. even if this twunt is buying his own place it does not mean he is above the law. if things kick off phone the police for advice and log any incidents.

Matchingbluesocks Wed 23-Nov-16 22:18:15

Call the council anti social behaviour team

baconandeggies Wed 23-Nov-16 22:23:44

Honestly - I would just move. Explaining my reasons to the LL on my way out. Altercation? Sod that.

WindInThePussyWillows Wed 23-Nov-16 22:25:14

Is the garden shared?

birdladyfromhomealone Wed 23-Nov-16 22:32:33

I feel for you OP but if he owns the flat AND he garden he unfortunately can do what he likes with regards to the dog poo.
Can you ask your LL who the freeholder is? It might contravene the ground clause if a freeholder owns the land the building sits on.
If your neighbour is a leaseholder the freeholder is the one to make him stop.
It may well be easier for you to look for a new flat in the long run sad

dingdongdigeridoo Wed 23-Nov-16 22:36:53

I doubt you can do much. If he owns the place then there's barely any chance he'd be evicted for anti social behaviour. It doesn't sound like he's keen to change.

Personally I'd move. It's one of the very few advantages of being a tenant. Do it before the summer months roll around and find somewhere where you can keep the windows open!

As you have been friendly with each other before, I'd start by talking to him. If that doesn't work then you could go back down the environmental health route for persistent barking.

YelloDraw Wed 23-Nov-16 22:49:52

If you rent I would just move! Thank god you don't own it.

AskBasil Wed 23-Nov-16 22:55:38

I would report him to the RSPCA, someone who keeps his dog's shit around the environment, is probably not someone who is actually looking after them properly.

And then, I would move. As someone else said, this is the one glorious advantage of being a tenant - you are free to move away from nuisances like this.

Minta85 Wed 23-Nov-16 22:56:52

We own our flat, but had to ask permission from the freeholder to get our cat, as the lease states no pets allowed. This permission can also be withdrawn at any time. Get in touch with your property management company and check if your neighbour actually has permission to have his dogs, as he might not. Even if he does, the permission could be withdrawn if you explain that the dogs are causing a noise disturbance with their barking and that their waste is being left in the communal areas (the garden). There might also be a clause in your lease or tenancy agreement that specifies 'quiet hours', typically between 11pm and 7am. If the dogs' barking is keeping you awake within these times, then this clause of the lease is being broken and would be further grounds for complaint.

DoNotGoSoftly Wed 23-Nov-16 22:59:24

Move. It is not ideal but this fella took two dogs into a flat. What does he need two dogs for anyway - he lives in a flat?

Don't speak to him, he won't change and then if anything happens with the Environmental Health / RSPCA then he will be wondering who set this off.

Move and be thankful you don't own the place as others have said.

ElizabethHoney Wed 23-Nov-16 23:01:44

I'd ring environmental health daily until they do something (noise and smell), and also contact the RSPCA.

Also, look into the Freehold agreement or get your landlord to, and keep nagging the landlord to tackle the problem. Is there a company that manage or service the communal areas or a residents association? If so, go through them as well.

Failing that, the police. And failing that move. But I really hope it doesn't come to that. This guy is being profoundly unfair and selfish.

Nanny0gg Wed 23-Nov-16 23:03:56

Council dog warden?

2kids2dogsnosense Wed 23-Nov-16 23:16:51

RSPCA are a waste of space - don't expect them to shift their backsides! As long as the dogs have food and water that won't even try to interfere.

However, as others have said, the council may be able to do something regarding a noise nuisance - and if there are rats attracted by the filth, they might be able to insist that it's cleaned up. If the dogs get out of the garden not suggesting you would make a hole in the fence or anything, obviously they could be seized by the dog warden.

Seriously though, if the dogs are aggressive as opposed to just noisey, the postman might be prepared to make a complaint about them.

torroloco Thu 24-Nov-16 01:00:08

Thank you everyone.

I have no idea what to do if i'm honest- I can't really afford to move. My rent here is cheap and the area is decent- if I moved and paid the same rent, I would be in a not-so-nice area and I really can't afford to pay anymore in rent.

The garden is not communal- he is in a ground floor flat and the garden is attached to the back of his flat. The neighbour next to him (who has the children) also has a garden as do some neighbours at the back of us.

I tried to talk to him on the path once- and he just shunned me. I think he must of overheard me talking about it with the neighbour one morning. I honestly do not mean to criticise and would even offer to help him with the dogs if necessary.

I think I will have to try environmental heath again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now