To give my BF as next of kin when in hospital?

(10 Posts)
MonkeyPuzzledTree Tue 22-Nov-16 22:42:26

Was thinking about this after looking on the "partner" thread!

I've begun to call my boyfriend my "partner" recently, as the nurses in my hospital (I'm hospitalised a lot!) often try to refuse my BF as next of kin. We've been living together 6+ years (longer than some marriages one kindly nurse remarked!)

However one actually told me off for being stubborn when I refused to give any other name angry Even though I haven't lived with my parents for years and they live a good hour away hmm

NHS website says "There is therefore no reason that your partner shouldn’t be treated as your ‘next of kin’ despite the fact that you are not married."

Why should the word fiance make any difference? Should I just refer to him as this?

Ps. apologies for the slightly rambling thread, it has been bothering me though!

summerblues Tue 22-Nov-16 22:47:05

You are right, it is annoying and shouldnt make any difference.

However, if the worst should happen and any major decisions have to be made on your behalf, I think the law states next of kin is nearest relative by blood or marriage?

MonkeyPuzzledTree Tue 22-Nov-16 22:52:53

summerblues it's not apparently defined by law?
"Despite widespread use of the phrase, who is next of kin to a hospital patient is not actually defined in law."
(from a quick nhs google)

I'm thinking about getting a next of kin card to avoid any confusion, not that my parents would make a bad decision as they're well aware of my wishes.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 22-Nov-16 22:59:00

You can choose who your next of kin is. Tell them who you want it to be.

attheendoftheday Tue 22-Nov-16 22:59:12

You can have whoever you like as Next of Kin! It is Nearest Relative that is defined by law, and even that recognises partners with whom you've cohabit education for more than 6 months in the same bracket as spouses.

Birdsgottafly Tue 22-Nov-16 23:01:53

Next of kin can change depending on the circumstances.

Who you trust to make decisions about somethings, may not be the person who 'should' own your grave/remains. I've known Mums cut out of the burial etc process, for the (childless) Patner to them go on to remarry/live with someone else.

It starts to be defined in Law when it comes to the Mental Health Act, a blood relation can be privy to the plans made, even if their is a nominated NOK.

Hadalifeonce Tue 22-Nov-16 23:04:47

You can name anyone as next of kin, they don't have to be a relation or spouse. You could list your milkman if you wanted.
There is no legal definition of Next of Kin.

Greengoddess12 Tue 22-Nov-16 23:05:30

It's a fact that in law it's just easier to get married if you want to secure a future together in thry eyes of the law regards property, kids and legal definitions.

NotWeavingButDarning Tue 22-Nov-16 23:09:17

Yep, any old person can be your Next of Kin. Basically, it's whoever you say it is. What you call the other person makes not a blind bit of difference. Put your foot down and don't be afraid to tell the nurses that it's none of their damn business who you name.

Ice3 Tue 22-Nov-16 23:11:37

I had DH as my next of kin years before we were married. It was never a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now