Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To buy my council house.

(38 Posts)
EveOnline2016 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:55:38

I am really torn.

Morally I know it will take from the housing stock and should look at houses already on the market

Realistic my son is asd and a move wouldn't never work for him, plus my house is stunning after all the work dh and I have done. Plus both DC are settled in school

SaucyJack Tue 22-Nov-16 18:56:57

Why do you need to buy any house?

MissVictoria Tue 22-Nov-16 18:57:45

Honestly, do what works for you.
Everyone else would put themselves first, why shouldn't you?

Unsurechicken Tue 22-Nov-16 18:57:49

Bloody do it! Others do why shouldnt you?

GreenTureen Tue 22-Nov-16 18:58:08

Generally, I don't think council houses should be sold, at all. BUT if I were in your position and was offered it, i'd definitely do it. I'd suck up being a hypocrite for the good of my family tbh.

Pootlebug Tue 22-Nov-16 18:58:17

Do you have an opportunity to buy it? Then buy it. Do what is best for your family

DryIce Tue 22-Nov-16 18:58:36

I completely understand your moral objection, and think it is admirable that you are considering that angle.

At the same time, I sadly think that individual stands like this will only hurt you. The housing market is out of control for a variety of factors way beyond the level of people like you just not buying it.

DixieNormas Tue 22-Nov-16 18:59:06

I probably would if I could afford to

GreenTureen Tue 22-Nov-16 18:59:11

Why do you need to buy any house?

Why does anyone? For security, for financial sense as after the mortgage is paid you'll be much better off, to have something to pass to your dc...

bumblebee50 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:59:14

Morally some people will tell you you are wrong, however, anyone given the opportunity to buy their Council house would be daft not to. Go ahead - it's the best thing for your family.

Manumission Tue 22-Nov-16 18:59:58

Not this again! smile

Prioritise your son's stability. Buyers aren't responsible for this housing policy mess.

Grilledaubergines Tue 22-Nov-16 19:00:09

I agree with you OP that there is that moral issue. But in your shoes, yes I'll be honest and say I'd be as immoral as you like and do it. It's financial security for your and your child's future and I don't think you should pass up the opportunity of that. It's far far cheaper than renting.

TheCatsMother99 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:00:27

My friend bought her council flat, it meant she could then do whatever works she wanted to it without needing permission or the worry that she was spending money on something that wasn't actually hers. She has just sold it, something like 6 years after buying it and the council are actually buying it back so it's ended up going back in to their stock. It was something like, if some within 10 years of her buying it she HAD to offer to housing association first.

Anyway, it's allowed her a foot on the ladder which she wouldn't have got otherwise and so she's just bought a lovely house for her and her kids.

charlestrenet Tue 22-Nov-16 19:01:44

Do it. Even ten years ago it could have been viewed in some circles as anti society but I think now, with the way things are going re council rents and insecure tenancies, if you've got any chance of securing your family's future then grab it with both hands. No, they shouldn't be being sold and they certainly shouldn't be being sold at a discount, but you haven't engineered this situation (unless you're Margaret Thatcher in disguise) and it won't benefit anyone if you make your own circumstances less secure than they might be.

OldRosesDoomed Tue 22-Nov-16 19:04:20

Only buy it if it's a good deal. It may be a council house but you gave invested in it and it is your HOME.

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 22-Nov-16 19:08:25

I don't think council houses should be sold off but I'd buy it if I were in your shoes.

EveOnline2016 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:20:02

I am happy to buy it at the full value, don't want a discount.

FIL has decided to give dh early inheritance money and it will pay for a deposit on a house. We have seen a financial advisor and be approved for a mortgage which will be £12.50 more a month so no real savings but a long term investment. This was only based on current values and not a specific.

EveOnline2016 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:21:26

I want to buy as I'm 30 and have 36 years ahead of me in work and tbh it would be an assets if DH or I needed care.

happy2bhomely Tue 22-Nov-16 19:40:11

We live in a council house. We applied for right to buy, and we were awarded the maximum discount of £102,000. With the discount applied and our deposit, we would still have needed a mortgage of £240,000.

We have an income of around £40,000, so we couldn't get anywhere near enough from the bank.

If I won the lottery, I would buy this house immediately. I love it, and although I'm a secure tenant, I am always worried that it will be taken away from us. They are bringing in 'pay to stay' too, so as we earn more, we will have to pay more in rent. Which is fair I suppose. Our rent is £750/month. Privately it would cost £1600.

If you buy it, do you intend to stay there, or sell up and move on?

Matchingbluesocks Tue 22-Nov-16 19:42:43

The problem is at a population level buying a council house is shitty but individually it's a bloody great idea.

It's not your fault, it's the governments. Make the most of this opportunity.

EssentialHummus Tue 22-Nov-16 19:50:00

What everyone else said. The policy is ill thought-out and hopeless, but as an individual you can only do what's best for you and your family.

EveOnline2016 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:16:56

I don't even plan to move. I would modify but as the only council house on the cul de sac it will not be a problem. Every other house has a 2 teir extension, my brother has his own business as a builder ( will not expect discounts as trust is more important) but the only problem would be having a drive put in but I really don't care about that.

Andrewofgg Tue 22-Nov-16 20:17:16

According to the press Pay to Stay is being dropped.

In a sense all home ownership is anti-social, isn't it? A beautiful four bedroom house in my road was sold (by executors) last year to a couple in their fifties with no children (not even grown-up ones) and a neighbour tells me that one big bedroom is now taken up with his model trains and another by her books. The other is a guest room.

You could regard that as wasteful and say that it "should" have been sold to a family with children. But then what happens when they grow up and leave?

OP Go for it. Remember that RTB was immensely popular when it was introduced and still is with buyers and aspiring buyers. You are not called upon to be society's conscience.

ConvincingLiar Tue 22-Nov-16 20:23:43

Terrible policy, but not unreasonable to make the most if it. If it makes you richer donate some money to Shelter.

EveOnline2016 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:32:31

Will not make us richer as a mortgage will be more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now