To wait for nap to finish?

(17 Posts)
basketofironing Tue 22-Nov-16 10:37:01

Part AIBU part WWYD.

Currently sat in my car in a supermarket car park. In a parent and baby space.
DD fell asleep on the way here as I planned the journey to coincide with nap time. I drove around for a bit then decided to come to supermarket as petrol light was on. DD will be awake soon anyway.

Had been sat here with engine off for a few minutes when a car pulled up in front of me, passenger got out and asked if if was leaving. I explained that I had just arrived and was waiting for DD to wake up before I go shopping.

Passenger was fairly irate about this and told me I should go and park in another space if I was just going to sit here. Explained again that I am going into the shop as soon as DD wakes up and that I won't be moving my car to another space. I pointed out the two available spaces further down the row. She got back into the car and they drove off in a huff. Assuming they parked elsewhere.

So, AIBU to be sitting here whilst she sleeps? Would you have moved?

(On a side note, I just saw the car next to me pull out with no children in the car. Pisses me off when people park in these spaces with no child. Not even a car seat in there!!)

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 22-Nov-16 10:40:18

YANBU. If there were other spaces available there is no reason for you to move. Some people just try to pick fights for no reason.

I wouldn't haven't given so much info when asked if I was leaving. I'd have just said "no, sorry".

Artandco Tue 22-Nov-16 10:44:36

I don't really understand those spaces, I mean a supermarket carparl even a large one isn't that big. Even if you park on furthest space it's only a 2 min walk into the store

Eminybob Tue 22-Nov-16 10:48:30

Personally I would have parked in a normal space if I knew I was going to stay for a while, then moved into a p&c space when ready to go into the supermarket.
That said, I would never begrudge or confront someone parking in space with a sleeping baby.

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 22-Nov-16 11:25:02

Artandco the gaps in between the spaces are bigger so it's easier to get your kid in/out of the car

MissMooMoo Tue 22-Nov-16 12:36:48

The whole point of the spaces is that they are wider to get the child in and out of the car.
You weren't doing that so YABU.

Lulu1083 Tue 22-Nov-16 12:40:51

She hasn't done it yet MooMoo but she will

Hellmouth Tue 22-Nov-16 12:43:21

Did you read the post MooMoo? She's waiting for her baby to wake up ... what's the point of going to another parking space?

OP, YANBU

basketofironing Tue 22-Nov-16 12:56:00

MooMoo if I had parked up just for her to have a nap/feed/whatever I would have parked in a normal spot but as I said in the OP, I was going into the shop so would eventually need to get her out!

basketofironing Tue 22-Nov-16 12:58:08

Eminy I agree with you there, hence why I wasn't sure if I WBU. She'd been asleep for half an hour (which is her usual nap length because she is a demon baby) so thought she'd wake up soon after I turned off the engine. As it happened, the little bugger slept for another 20 minutes while I sat there twiddling my thumbs.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Tue 22-Nov-16 13:02:35

She was unreasonable to be irate when other P&C spaces were available, but I think I'd have parked up in a regular space until after the nap.

Trifleorbust Tue 22-Nov-16 13:05:49

I think those spaces are there to be used while you shop, not while your child has a nap. Take your daughter out of the car and do your shopping, or find somewhere else for her to have her nap.

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 22-Nov-16 13:40:05

Trifleorbust the OP had parked up to go and do her shopping. She just hadn't left the car yet because her daughter was still asleep.

MissMooMoo Tue 22-Nov-16 13:47:16

Yes I did read the OP, she was not getting out to shop until her child woke up.
She could have parked somewhere else meanwhile.

Trifleorbust Tue 22-Nov-16 13:58:09

I can read, ShowMe. I just think it's quite rude to park up and not get out of the car.

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 22-Nov-16 14:15:26

It's your business what you do having parked. You could equally well be sat in a coffee shop or wandering around hunting Pokémon or just sitting on a bench somewhere. YANBU and she was BVU!

Spam88 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:28:14

YANBU at all. Presumably all those who think you should have parked elsewhere and only moved to a P&C space when you were ready to get your DC out of the car also always move their car into a normal space after getting their kids out (when there is another adult with them to supervise little ones of course).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now