So Kinder Egg gifts are packed by families in Romania for 22p an hour....

(47 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1477282676 Tue 22-Nov-16 04:25:31

It's a piece from the Sun so I won't link...there's no reason to think they're lying about this investigation. There's a video of a woman working from her home in Romania.....she's given the components and basically puts the toys in the eggs which are then sent to the confectionery factory.

Piece work. There's no hygiene checks or anything either....though to be honest I'm more upset by the fact that this woman gets so little for her work. Her kids help her too.

It's not on is it?

LouisvilleLlama Tue 22-Nov-16 04:45:39

It's not but unless you thought it was a machine isn't it known that companies pay shit wages to those in poorer countries

LouisvilleLlama Tue 22-Nov-16 04:47:06

" Kinder Chocolate contain dangerous levels of likely carcinogens"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/kinder-chocolate-bars-found-contain-possible-carcinogens-germany-food-cause-cancer-riegel-a7120091.html

user1477282676 Tue 22-Nov-16 04:50:20

Louis God! I didn't know that!!

And whilst you're right about companies paying shit wages like this I just assumed the things were packaged in a factory by people on a production line...paid proper wages.

LouisvilleLlama Tue 22-Nov-16 05:11:12

Yeah it was a German watchdog it was found in 3 products so generally you don't have to worry but scary that it wasn't found or known for ages

Totallybonkersmum Tue 22-Nov-16 05:16:10

YANBU. I'll avoid them on both counts above this Christmas!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Nov-16 13:14:35

Hi all,

Ferrero, the parent group of Kinder Egg products, have been in touch and asked us to post the below statement on their behalf:

"We are appalled and deeply concerned by the allegations of unacceptable practice in Romania concerning the behaviour of one of our suppliers that we have seen published today and have launched an immediate and thorough investigation to establish all the facts as a matter of urgency. Ferrero has a strict Code of Conduct for suppliers which is a condition of the contract. The Code of Conduct rejects imperatively the use of children in factories and requires that all employees must be guaranteed a salary of at least the minimum wage (local or national), both for normal hours of work and for overtime.

"All our suppliers are subject to regular independent checks to ensure that they observe the terms of our strict Code of Conduct. We confirm that we work with Romexa, and Prolegis (an approved sub-contractor of Romexa) who are subject to regular independent inspection. Most recently, in May 2016, it was found that the Ferrero code was being strictly complied with. The audit was conducted by SGS, who are the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company.

We will investigate these allegations immediately and would like to reassure that we have already taken immediate action to fight against any such malpractice."

QueenMortificado Tue 22-Nov-16 13:15:53

Christ, thread opening to official statement in less than 12 hours, Ferrero PR dept run a tight ship don't they!

HateSummer Tue 22-Nov-16 13:17:03

Well, good on them for releasing a statement so quickly on MN. shock.

Twogoats Tue 22-Nov-16 13:24:07

Romania is in the EU, shouldn't they be following EU regulations?

Hysterectical Tue 22-Nov-16 13:44:03

Whon do you think stitched your knickers? Kinder eggs =sugar=bad
Cheap crap clothes=ok

MorrisZapp Tue 22-Nov-16 13:48:44

Can I ask a genuine question here? If companies removed their factories from developing countries, what would the impact be on local citizens? Assuming they're complying with local law I mean.

user1477282676 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:02:36

Morris It's not a factory though. The contents are placed in the eggs by homeworkers.....in their own homes which have not I might add, been checked for cleanliness.

That is the least of my issues though. The fact is that in Romania where the work is done, families are all mucking in with the work....small children are helping. It's wrong.

user1477282676 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:04:47

Thanks for the update Rebecca...and I agree that it's very good Kinder have responded to this!

LoreleiGilmorethesecond Tue 22-Nov-16 21:11:32

I'm sorry but the lack of potential cleanliness outrages me more than the workers minimum wage! Children as young as three (some younger no doubt) play with these toys!
Just think of all the germs/illnesses/ diseases your children are putting in their mouths. angry

Sweets101 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:17:22

Well if they lose their income I'm sure they will be nothing but grateful over your concerns.
Families all over the world have to muck in to survive.

Sweets101 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:19:07

Just think of all the germs/illnesses/ diseases your children are putting in their mouths.
My DC go to nursery, it's a regular occurrence.

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 22-Nov-16 21:20:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HardcoreLadyType Tue 22-Nov-16 21:22:26

Yes, gosh, Lorelei!

We wouldn't want British children ingesting germs, would we? A much more important issue than those furrin children working in sweatshop conditions. I mean they're furrin, FFS!

WhisperingLoudly Tue 22-Nov-16 21:29:18

Crikey ferrero move fast shock

LoreleiGilmorethesecond Tue 22-Nov-16 21:38:40

I didn't mention British or Foreign, you did.
It's not only British children that eat Kinder eggs.

Sure the families that need the money from this rumoured job will not miss the money, or tiny toys. Perhaps you can pay them instead to pack your children's Kinder eggs with the extras nasties for add bonus! Yum

User1987654 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:46:00

Hey Ferrero, you're a major corporation with lots of ££££ there is no excuse whatsoever for possessing such a lack of poor hygiene. How can you not afford to hire workers to assemble parts in a factory setting that is in a hygienic environment when lots of small food producers all over the world without your money, can do it all the time as standard practice?

How can you be so ignorant to have never inspected where the components were being assembled when again, hygiene and safety are of paramount importance to a food manafacturer?

The fact chocolate is not only being handled but objects are being inserted into the chocolates and all this is being done in people's homes! And with the help of their children and their snotty grubby little hands. How utterly filthy. How utterly irresponsible. How utterly disturbing. Your chocolate eggs might as well be filled with roaches as it's on the same level of filth.

LoreleiGilmorethesecond Tue 22-Nov-16 21:47:52

Allllllllllllllllll of the above!!!

guest2013 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:52:47

Really? We're Romanian, what part of the country is this in??? We can't believe this to be true. 22p is a Leu, no one would work for that little.

littlemissanxious Tue 22-Nov-16 21:54:45

Wow. Does Ferrerro actually read mumsnet?? Hey there Ferrerro, can you please send a box of choccies my way? I'd like to examine the box (and chocolates ) for any signs of inequality pay being given to the labourersshockgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now