Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to take my 5 year old to an audition that she hasn't asked to go to?

(48 Posts)
wwwdot123 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:54:00

My daughter does dancing and acting. Her acting teacher thinks she is good for a 5 year old and suggests that she is at the stage where she could go to auditions.

There is an audition coming up, you have to send a video tape first, which I've already sent. However, would it be wrong to take her to an audition she hasn't asked to go to?

QOD Mon 21-Nov-16 22:54:54

No

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Nov-16 22:55:43

Depends. Would she like it? Would she be committed to doing something she wouldn't enjoy?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 21-Nov-16 22:55:53

Ask if she wants to go?

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 22:56:17

Yes, you may well panic her and put her off completely. I was a performing child so I know first hand, I loved it but it was me driven, not my mum or teachers.

Have you even mentioned auditioning at all to her?

WorraLiberty Mon 21-Nov-16 22:56:46

I take it you've spoken to your daughter about it?

What did she say?

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 22:56:49

Sorry that should say no, not yes. What an irritating typo, I need to go to sleep!

wwwdot123 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:57:24

She enjoys her acting. I asked if she wanted to go and explained what they do and she just says that she doesn't mind... I don't think she really fully understands auditions, she just understands that if they say act this, she will.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 22:57:40

* yes YWBU. Bloody hell!

summerainbow Mon 21-Nov-16 22:58:14

Take her for a day out and to show her and you what it it all about .

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 22:58:57

Does she want to perform properly on stage/screen? or is acting just fun? What's the rush, why not wait until she asks?

WorraLiberty Mon 21-Nov-16 22:59:11

But she needs to understand what will happen if she manages to pass the audition.

What's the audition for anyway?

wwwdot123 Mon 21-Nov-16 23:00:16

PaperdollCartoon - no rush at all from my end, was just following her teachers advice.

WorraLiberty - a film.

WorraLiberty Mon 21-Nov-16 23:03:28

Well I think you need to explain the commitment part.

Find out how much hard work and how many hours she'll have to put in, should she pass the audition.

Although that's not an easy thing to make a 5yr old understand.

FreshHorizons Mon 21-Nov-16 23:03:39

I would wait until the day that she asks to go to one. I can't see the rush- it sounds as if it is more for you.

wwwdot123 Mon 21-Nov-16 23:05:43

FreshHorizons - why would it be for me? I work full time and I suppose the last thing I want to do is ferry her around to things that she has to be at, it would be difficult, but could make it work. I was just trying to follow the advice from her teacher...

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 23:06:06

I wouldn't bother listening to the teacher, just because a child is good doesn't mean the HAVE to audition for things. A child who wants to perform will seek it, if she isn't asking to I really wouldn't push it, if it's for her she'll come to it herself.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 23:08:16

Teacher says she's got enough that she 'could' go for auditions, which is great. Doesn't mean she should, or needs to.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 21-Nov-16 23:08:26

Good enough*

Jellybean83 Mon 21-Nov-16 23:13:51

Not at all, as long as there is no pressure at all on the child then I don't see the problem. If she enjoys acting and is good enough at such a young age then why not show her how she can advance her hobbie. If she doesn't like it then you just don't do it again until she can decide for herself.

Enidblyton1 Mon 21-Nov-16 23:18:00

I would!

You don't need to make a big thing of it. Just give it a go and see if she likes it grin

If she doesn't enjoy it, you don't need to do it again... But she may love it, get the part, and really enjoy the experience...

Lorelei76 Mon 21-Nov-16 23:22:38

What Jelly said.

teenyveg Mon 21-Nov-16 23:30:32

My dd got offered auditions from around yr dd's age. The first few I didn't take her to as i knew we wouldn't be able to comitt to all it required (additional practices, rehearsals etc)
When she was 7, she really wanted to try some so we took her. she didn't enjoy them so we have just focused on her skills and if she wants to try again at any stage, fine.

I think there is real value in holding off until they understand all that is involved and aren't too bothered about rejection. If your dd really wants to do any, then there is plenty of time. If she is good, other offers will come.

WorraLiberty Mon 21-Nov-16 23:31:14

I think it just depends on what happens if she gets the part.

How long will filming take?

How much work will she have to do?

How much travelling will it involve?

How many hours will she need to put in?

Will it prevent her from doing other things that she loves?

MistressMolecules Mon 21-Nov-16 23:51:03

I'm with Enid on this, give her a chance and then let her lead from there. She may love it, she may hate it but without giving it a go she won't know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now