Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel sorry for teachers after looking at Facebook selling tat (lightheaded)

(29 Posts)
CherryChasingDotMuncher Mon 21-Nov-16 13:39:02

Like many MNers my guilty pleasure is trawling FB selling sites looking at tat, especially Christmas tat.

I can only feel sorry for the poor teachers in this country if some people really do buy the tat on offer. See photo examples. I'm not a teacher, but can I urge MNers to pretty please, if they do but their child's teacher anything, make it a bottle of bloody wine! grin

Do teachers actually receive these things?!

Ericaequites Mon 21-Nov-16 14:10:44

I know a widower of a teacher who had to clear the house of hundreds of cutesy things, lotion sets, and such when downsizing. A gift certificate to an independent bookstore is nicer than wine for teetotalers than wine.

BaraK9 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:15:26

Haha. I'm a teacher and a friend sells this sort of nonsense. Whenever I see her pics I think, thank God my students only ever get me chocolates or booze haha.

I teach 1:1 and have lots of contacts with the parents, though.

ItchyFoot Mon 21-Nov-16 17:17:22

Pencil shavings.... Brilliant grin

lazyb0nes Mon 21-Nov-16 17:21:12

As a teacher that candle would give me the rage purely due to the haphazard mixture of upper and lower case letters!

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:22:54

I'm a teacher and buy the DCs teachers Boots or Costa vouchers each year. No point buying stuff that won't be used.

ChocolateButton15 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:23:13

The pencil shavings is the worst....Happy Christmas....here have a ball of rubbish!

Gingernut81 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:24:08

This was one of my personal favourites from a pupil one Christmas 🙈

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 21-Nov-16 17:28:21

I'm retraining to be a teacher after many years of working in the city.

I know it's the thought that counts but... pencil savings in a bauble?

My mum was a teacher, and a popular one so most years we lived on chocolate for months at Christmas. Then one year she recieved an entire family of sponge faces.

This was a sponge with bath cubes as ears and a flannel as hair tied with a bow then it had googly eyes stuck on the front, and a fabric lips stuck on the sponge with glue - she had loads of them, turned out the local browny group had made them to sell to their parents in a drive to raise some funds. It was a very sad year due to lack of chocolate.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 21-Nov-16 17:29:23

That frog is amazing!

Mybugslife Mon 21-Nov-16 17:38:15

I hated dd's teacher last year for various reasons...the main one being she told dd she couldn't be dealing with her upset after she cried because another child had been bullying her.

Anyway I wished I'd seen that god awful bauble last year!!!

ElizaSchuyler Mon 21-Nov-16 17:46:12

The mix of letters on the candle would cause me pain.

One year I bought dds teacher school books for an African school accompanied by an oxfam card & magnet. This particular teacher was heavil involved in church & charities & sought us out, said it was the bat present ever & shed given the whole class an explanation.

rollonthesummer Mon 21-Nov-16 17:48:26

I usually get wine-it is very much appreciated!

Evilstepmum01 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:53:42

These are being sold on fb just now! £1 hun!

steff13 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:54:11

Pencil shavings! It's literally a ball full of garbage!

My daughter is in kindergarten this year. She wants me to knit her teacher a scarf. This is her first year of "real" school, so I'm going to have to see what the done thing is. I know it's not alcohol here. I gave her preschool teachers restaurant gift cards.

Evilstepmum01 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:55:15

Think special grandma a mistake! 😂

LindyHemming Mon 21-Nov-16 17:58:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

steff13 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:59:01

The mix of letters on the candle would cause me pain.

Ugh, me too! I hate when personalized items use a mix of fonts. It makes it look generic, IMO.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 21-Nov-16 18:03:17

I don't mind the green star with the little thank you, it's reasonably tasteful.

The mug with the kit Kat... hilarious!

MrsGsnow18 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:11:25

Whilst it's the thought that counts I do sometimes wish my school would ban Christmas presents! I do get some lovely gifts of Yankee candles/chocolate and sometimes wine but these 'more personal crafty' gifts have really taken off over the last few years confused
I'd much rather parents gave some money to a charity at Christmas!

Evilstepmum01 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:24:09

To be fair, I've seen worse!
Is this now the done thing tho? One has to buy dc teacher a present? What happens if some parents don't get teacher a prez cos they can't afford to?
My ds is in nursery and while I probably would buy a box of chocs for all staff to share, not sure I'd want to do this in primary or secondary!

glitterazi Mon 21-Nov-16 18:31:25

Do teachers actually receive these things?!

Yes. Yes, they do. Someone I know was proudly showing off her gifts for the teachers on Facebook.
Don't get me wrong, they were very nice, but they all said "Your the best teacher ever."
I think I'd have cried if I'd have received one of those. Hope the recipient wasn't an English teacher as they'd have despaired. grin

glitterazi Mon 21-Nov-16 18:33:51

Oh, and this is why I don't buy presents for teachers. Not only is it a ridiculous fad, by the amount of threads on here saying how they don't want something or laughing at stuff/what do I want that for? etc show half the time they're not appreciated anyway and you're better off saving your money!

Pigeonpost Mon 21-Nov-16 18:38:48

My mum used to be a teacher. On the last day of term my sisters and I would lie in wait for her to come home so we could raid all the chocolates. SO many mugs though, so many. I always get my DS's teachers something they can eat (chocolates, fudge etc). Not homemade.

thisismeusernameything Mon 21-Nov-16 18:59:39

I think it should be compulsory for all the teachers on here to show us all the tat they receive on the last day of term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now