Talk

Advanced search

Again, IT IS NOVEMBER

(100 Posts)
2ndSopranos Sun 20-Nov-16 18:32:34

FFS.

My MIL has put up her Christmas tree. The dc have been round today and dd2 has now spent the past 30 minutes howling because she wants our tree up.

MIL's obsession with Christmas is ludicrous. The whole year is spent fussing over how much she's going to spend, where we are having Christmas lunch, what we will be eating.

Argh.

GreenTureen Sun 20-Nov-16 18:34:38

Too early for me. I LOVE Christmas...but 1st December is soon enough. It's supposed to be a novelty, not something up for months IMO.

Hedgehog80 Sun 20-Nov-16 18:34:41

We have decorated dd1's room already, put festive bedding on other dcs beds and tree and decorations go up next Sunday (we have a tradition to do the tree on 27 November every year)

I love having the decorations up and starting Xmas in late November

TheWitTank Sun 20-Nov-16 18:34:52

I wouldn't put mine up yet, but it's her house; if she wants a tree up now it's not hurting anyone.

smEGGnogg Sun 20-Nov-16 18:34:56

Horses for courses op.

2ndSopranos Sun 20-Nov-16 18:36:57

Oh yes I know that - it's just been hard to deal with the fallout.

Euphemia Sun 20-Nov-16 18:38:33

It feels like Christmas though. It's -2° outside, towns' and cities' Christmas lights and markets are on.

I'm tired like it's Christmas! I want the holidays NOW!

Tree doesn't go up til December in my house though.

2ndSopranos Sun 20-Nov-16 18:38:47

Just realised I posted in here instead of chat so

Aibu to think November is too early to put the tree up

TrinityForce Sun 20-Nov-16 18:39:49

God people who 'love' christmas and decorate so early are just annoying - no doubt multiple facebook posts about it and dropped into every conversation as well.

Attention seeking imo.

anyoldname76 Sun 20-Nov-16 18:40:56

im putting mine up next weekend grin so yes yabu, each to their own.

FrogTime Sun 20-Nov-16 18:43:32

Each to their own but mine will go up on 4th Dec this year.

Sad your kids are upset though. Perhaps she will have to babysit for the day so they can see the pretty lights while you drink gin?!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 20-Nov-16 18:43:38

It seems everywhere has gone festive a bit early this year. Some friends in Paris for the weekend have been sharing photos of all the amazingly decorated streets and Christmas trees, and our Christmas lights turn on locally next week. All the Christmas markets are setting up and we have the Christmas groceries in stores now (festive coffees, mince pies etc)... maybe it's because it already so cold out?

I'm trying to think of it as being good, people who will struggle to pay for Christmas this year have more time to collect things, more weeks to spread the cost over. My tree won't go up until December though!

1happyhippie Sun 20-Nov-16 18:45:17

I couldn't put mine up yet, I would be sick of it by Christmas.
I have dd1 birthday end of November then dps birthday mid December, so I never put mine up until after that.
The past couple of years, we have put it up the day the kids break up for the holidays. Around the 19th dec.
Each to their own though. It doesn't bother me if people put them up in November, but I wouldn't.

TrojanWhore Sun 20-Nov-16 18:47:42

It's one of the reasons MN has a 'Christmas' topic, so all those who want to talk about it before about Advent Sunday can do so without shoving it too early all over the main boards.

I would say that OP would approve of that.... Oh, hang on, maybe not.

2ndSopranos Sun 20-Nov-16 18:48:46

Bah humbug.

Cary2012 Sun 20-Nov-16 18:52:34

Mine goes up a week before Christmas. Two weeks before when the kids were little. I don't mind the tree and a few tasteful decs, but I'd be bored of them all if we did it earlier. And the cats play nighttime football with the baubles, and I come down in the morning to find them all over the carpet. When naughty tortie was a kitten she used to climb up the tree and knock the bloody thing over.

TheFairyCaravan Sun 20-Nov-16 18:52:46

This is what I'm posting on my Fb if I see one more bloody Christmas tree. I like Christmas, I've done almost all my shopping and wrapped it, but ffs it's too early for a bloody tree!

catmombaby16 Sun 20-Nov-16 18:53:07

My SIL & MIL are the same OP.

Does.my.head.in!!

All year it's "where you going Christmas?" "What markets shall we go to?!" Let's see who can put the most annoying facebook posts on!!!!

Grrrrrr!

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE Christmas but I like to wait till December before I put any tat decorations up in my house. They literally co ordinate diaries to do each others on the same weekend in November and invite us all round to drink eggnog and eat mince pies.

We decline.

I think around the 15th is about ok to put our tree up!

TheFairyCaravan Sun 20-Nov-16 18:54:02

FFS the photo didn't post. I'll try again.

JellyBelli Sun 20-Nov-16 18:54:10

Not before December. I remember one year there was an unseasonably hot day in november and some chocolate santas were melting in a shop window. Christmas hads never been the same since then.

miserablesod Sun 20-Nov-16 18:54:59

Well it is only 5 weeks away. Not like its months away

Bertucci Sun 20-Nov-16 18:55:08

That is ridiculous and would really irritate me. How childish!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 20-Nov-16 18:56:02

I love Christmas and the run up to it - but wouldn't consider putting my tree up until 1st December at the earliest.

We went to the German Market in Birmingham yesterday (absolutely heaving) and have written a few cards today though fwink.

Topseyt Sun 20-Nov-16 18:57:52

I can't stick it going up too early.

The tree is a job I give to my DDs. They decorate it and put it up at the start of the school Christmas holiday and it comes down on New Year's Day, if not before.

NotStoppedAllDay Sun 20-Nov-16 18:58:00

It's no fun for kids though. After initial excitement and the novelty of it has gone ( 2 days max) they are left with ages and ages to wait...... whilst selfish adults enjoy spanning it out for weeks and weeks

It's not right

It's almost 1/4 of the year on 'retailmas'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now