Talk

Advanced search

to think that loud music should be played in public toilets?

(44 Posts)
Stanky Sun 20-Nov-16 13:55:52

Sorry, just reading the other thread about the fart on the bus (could be another verse for wheels on the bus?), and how many people have stomach/bowel problems, are forced to dash into public loos.

Wouldn't it be better to have loud music playing to mask any embarrassing noises? I know that we should all grow up and get over it, but sometimes I feel self conscious even going for a wee, in case a weird noise happens. The silence can be crushing when a stranger is in the cubicle next to you, and you end up having a stand off of who makes noise first. It's always better when the other toilet is flushed, or the dryer is going, and then I feel free to go.

Would/does loud music in toilets make things better?

Sirzy Sun 20-Nov-16 13:57:10

Would make it even harder for me to get noise sensitive ds in so based on that, although I do get where you are coming from, I think yabu

worridmum Sun 20-Nov-16 13:58:23

The only problem with that is loud music would put of alot of people with SEN such as autism is slight embarshment more important then the comfort / useabity of others with disabilities?

Stanky Sun 20-Nov-16 13:59:24

That's true.

peachesandcreamdream Sun 20-Nov-16 13:59:57

YANBU

I'd love it

JeepersMcoy Sun 20-Nov-16 14:00:56

Surely the important question here is what music?

I vote for Flight of the Valkyries. grin

eddiemairswife Sun 20-Nov-16 14:03:21

I think they have music in public lavatories in Japan.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 20-Nov-16 14:04:30

I would prefer having music, I have a whole host of stomach issues and before I go anywhere, I work out where the nearest paid for private public loos are and make sure I have 30p on me.

I get that some people have issues around loud noises so I do understand why it's not possible, wish it was though would make my life better confused

WeAllHaveWings Sun 20-Nov-16 14:34:22

Stanky we ladies in toilets (me included!) are so easily embarrassed. We have 3 cubicles in our ladies at work and sometimes when they are all full there is a 3 way silent stand off with each person trying not to make a sound first or with stage fright.

dh tells me the gents are completely different with farting, grunting and straining all very common.

Instead of music I think there should be the sound of a waterfall to help things along. Would reduce queuing significantly.

WLF46 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:37:51

It can be very uncomfortable when you hear a woman in another cubicle crying or groaning or straining etc, but I think loud music would cause all manner of other problems. If someone was being raped for example, it might mask their muffled cries for help. If someone has a headache and is throwing up, the last thing they need is loud music.

SuperManStoleMyPants Sun 20-Nov-16 14:38:29

I really don't get this, if you're in the toilets you're all there for the same reason. I don't find it shameful or embarrassing. Why all the hang ups?

bumsexatthebingo Sun 20-Nov-16 14:42:36

I agree with you. My ds has asd and is sensitive to noise and I think he would actually prefer constant loud music to drown out flushing and hand dryers a bit rather than those noises taking him by surprise. If he didn't like it he'd just use his ear defenders.

S1lentAllTheseYears Sun 20-Nov-16 14:45:44

Ambient sounds maybe?

A fart? Oh no! It was just a wave crashing on the shore!

WyfOfBathe Sun 20-Nov-16 15:18:29

There are public toilets near me which play classical music whenever the light's on grin but this means that DD suddenly develops a need to go to the toilet whenever we go passed them "but it singggs to me! I need to goooo weeeweee!"

booklooker Sun 20-Nov-16 15:25:56

Maybe some Oom-pah-pah type music where all the folk in cubicles could try to fart along in time

MatchyMatcha Sun 20-Nov-16 15:50:21

Hand dryers are bad enough. I don't get why women who have been through labour can be embarrassed about a poo plop or a fart.

Lillagroda Sun 20-Nov-16 15:56:02

You can get a little gadget that makes a flushing noise to cover your own noises. Like a key ring thing with a button to press. It's a Japanese thing.

TiggyD Sun 20-Nov-16 16:02:34

Push It by Salt 'n' Pepper?

Patience By Gnus & Roses?

Let It Go By thingy?

Ring Of Fire for the day after curry night?

MrsMook Sun 20-Nov-16 16:03:16

Toilets are there for a purpose. There's no point in being squeamish about them.

I wish powerful modern hand dryers could be quieter though!

StomaSavedMyLife Sun 20-Nov-16 16:09:49

I think a gadget to play a tune when things are going badly would be a great idea!

But I do understand how many small children and people with SN are upset by the extra noise.

crashdoll Sun 20-Nov-16 16:16:24

Only at work please. I don't want to let one rip and come out to wash my hands to find then big boss there.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sun 20-Nov-16 16:25:32

Oh what a good idea! I hate it when friends or colleagues come to the loo with me (especially as a pregnant person who sees to be trumping a lot blush) I hold it in and go again later.

As an aside if you feel you're going to make a, ahem,'big splash', stick some loo roll in the toilet for a softer landing grin

Nataleejah Sun 20-Nov-16 16:26:51

Don't understand what noises are embarrassing in the toilet. Toilets are there to pee and poo.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sun 20-Nov-16 16:27:20

Also there's nothing worse than when a colleague is in the next loo, one of you made an embarrassing noise and you're playing the silent game of "you leave first". It just means you're both in your cubicles for ages waiting for the other one to leave!

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 20-Nov-16 16:28:32

I think tastes vary too much.

Not everyone can daintily poop with Cradle Of Filth playing in the background.

(Only band name I could think of which might be a euphemism for 'toilet'.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now