Talk

Advanced search

Should I report this, even without evidence? Probably no point :(

(12 Posts)
user1471518295 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:54:43

I took my son to a football match yesterday (his father bought 2 season tickets, but was on holiday with his wife, so I did the 80 mile round trip as my son was desperate to attend the match).

Walking back to the car park after the match (it was dark and a bit drizzly) there were around 25,000 supporters all leaving at the same time.

We got to the top of the road, which is double yellow line all the way, with a pavement wide enough for two people to walk side by side. Some people had put their bins partly on the pavement, but this still left enough room for people to walk past in single file.

Suddenly, a car drove up, mounted the pavement (probably going around 5 miles per hour, so not very fast) as if to park. As it was double yellow, this was clearly illegal.

However, not content with that, he continued to drive along the pavement, still at around five miles per hour (above fast walking pace) with people having to jump out of his way.

As he passed me, I knocked on his window with my knuckles. He continued to drive (by the dustbins now, so no longer leaving enough room for pedestrians to get between the bins and the car on the pavement which was STILL moving forward).

It was becoming pretty dangerous with several small children (it is a very family oriented club, so always very busy) trying to walk with their parents. I ran up to the car, and knocked on the window again and yelled at him to stop the car before he hurt someone.

At this point, he jumped out of his car, started shouting at me that he had young children in the car and what did I think I was doing hitting his car!

Having gone past him, I now walked back, and told him that he was illegally parked, had been driving on a pavement full of pedestrians and he was behaving very stupidly. He then told me he had photographed my actions (!) and was going to report me.

I took a photo of the front of the car, and was ready to report him this morning, but the blasted photo is just showing the full beam of the lights and no number plate.

It was an Audi, and had a man and woman in the front (I think maybe Asian) and a couple of small kids in the back. Was anyone else at the Watford match yesterday and did they by any chance see this vehicle or take a number?

Or (this is the AIBU bit) should I just leave it and let him run someone over when he does it again?

PamplemousseRouge Sun 20-Nov-16 14:03:43

Please report this if it's possible OP

Redglitter Sun 20-Nov-16 14:06:58

To be honest without a car registration no there's nothing the police can do.

whyohwhy000 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:07:39

Given that our country has the highest coverage of cameras in the world, there's a good chance that CCTV picked out something. Give Hertfordshire County Council a call tomorrow and report this.

WLF46 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:08:50

Report it and give all the evidence you can. Hopefully he does "report you" as well, he would be stitching himself up in the process! The police will investigate whether anyone in the area had CCTV which may have captured the incident.

Incidentally you have done nothing wrong by "hitting" his car, even in the unlikely event you smacked it hard enough to do any damage you would be able to claim force majeure, attempting to draw his attention to his illegal and dangerous driving behaviour.

WLF46 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:10:52

Also, even if your photo looks like it doesn't show much of any use, the police may be able to match up whatever evidence they can see with CCTV, other people's camera footage, etc. It's highly likely someone else was recording the incident too, deliberately or otherwise.

ohtheholidays Sun 20-Nov-16 14:24:15

Good for you OP and yes I would report him!

What an idiot he could have killed someone!

Lorelei76 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:27:37

Presume this was his way of avoiding the road? Or was he drunk?

toptoe Sun 20-Nov-16 14:27:53

Report - CCTV may help

youarenotkiddingme Sun 20-Nov-16 14:30:25

Yep report.

VoodooPeople Sun 20-Nov-16 15:25:27

You'd probably better off going on the Watford/Leicester fan forums and posting this question. Far more likely to find someone who was at the match on there rather than Mumsnet!

Check out whether the road in question has cctv here:

traffic.hertsdirect.org/cctv.aspx

Cherrysoup Sun 20-Nov-16 17:11:53

Report, there's loads of CCTv along Vicargae Road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now