To report childminder

(31 Posts)
Redissuereader Sat 19-Nov-16 21:47:11

And who would I report them to? Walked past childminders house the other day and saw a baby outside crying. I hace has discussions with said childminder before and she is very aggressive and defensive, always complaining about how people are watching her every move because she is a childminder and apparently people are just dying to report her for anything at all. On my way home from school drop off the other day I saw a baby outside crying. I didn't know what to do and didn't have my phone on me so couldn't call anyone immediately. I decided that I was too angry to confront directly and I needed to enlist help, I live about 150 yards away and was on way home to get phone and go back and ring police. On the way I met a neighbour, another parent, and explained the situation, she said she knew exactly who I was talking about and she would go round as the childminder is quite ditsy and she would knock on and let her know. A bit later the neighbour called to say that she had called round and there was no answer for ages, she had to go into the house and found childminder and her friend chatting in the kitchen. Childminder said that they were just on the way out but no one had their coats on, baby had been outside for at least 10 minutes completely alone (other than me stood nearby making sure no one took the child away). So my question is, is it unreasonable to report this childminder to the authorities and if not then which authorities would you report her to? I personally think if it were my child that had been put in thy danger I would want to know, but maybe I'm wrong.

wigornian Sat 19-Nov-16 21:51:19

Yes, I think you should - this is appalling! shock

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 19-Nov-16 21:51:47

the authority you report her to would be Ofsted

DeadGood Sat 19-Nov-16 21:52:48

Jesus, yes, report. Someone will know who to report to soon!

Poor baby sad

Rainydayspending Sat 19-Nov-16 21:55:12

"Ditsy"? Was this baby in a pushchair? (I hope so). The image is terrifying.
Definitely report. The reason people report her isn't because she's a childminder. It's because she shouldn't be responsible for children.

yoowhoo Sat 19-Nov-16 21:55:14

Absolutely you should call! I can't believe you haven't done it yet (not blaming you!!) But please report immediately. I would hate to be the mum of that poor baby.

baconandeggies Sat 19-Nov-16 21:55:59

Baby left outside? Call NSPCC to report it and they'll contact the appropriate people.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 19-Nov-16 22:07:12

YWBU to not report. Her priority should be the children. Not sitting chatting shit and gossiping.

ThirdTimeLuck Sat 19-Nov-16 22:09:50

Report, ring OFSTED.

Trifleorbust Sat 19-Nov-16 22:18:44

I don't disagree that people seem to have higher expectations of childminders and nannies very often than they do of themselves as parents - perhaps something to do with resentment of the cost of childcare!

But irrespective of that, you can't leave a baby outside in the street for ten minutes on its own. Was the door closed?

The only circumstance in which I might say YABU would be if it was a very rural area and the baby was in a huge private garden and clearly visible from the room in which the CM was standing. Even then I wouldn't do it myself and certainly not with someone else's baby.

CorkieD Sat 19-Nov-16 22:23:30

Absolutely report her. It would be unthinkable not to.

Redissuereader Sat 19-Nov-16 22:39:15

Can OFSTED shit her down though? I'm
Not suggesting that she shouldn't be, I'm just thinking they might not have enough power to go to the parents of this child. I don't know who they are, but it's them I want to tell.

glenthebattleostrich Sat 19-Nov-16 22:45:55

Yes ofsted can remove her certification so she can't legally childmind. Do you know her address? You can find her registrationn number by searching online using her address.

I usually get annoyed at CM being evil posts (as a minder) but this woman should be reported. If a child in my care falls asleep in the buggy they are brought into the hallway not left in the cold.

ChipIn Sat 19-Nov-16 23:05:08

That baby could have been in all kinds of danger and the person responsible for him/ her was totally neglecting her duty. I'd be fuming and would never send my child back there if I was the parent.

Absolutely report the woman.

OlennasWimple Sat 19-Nov-16 23:14:39

Yes, Ofsted is the right place to report your concerns

DancingDinosaur Sat 19-Nov-16 23:17:32

Definitely call ofsted.

BackforGood Sat 19-Nov-16 23:24:31

From OFSTED website: (my bold)

If you are concerned about anything you see or hear at an early years or childcare provider, you should raise this directly with the service.

If you cannot resolve the matter in this way, or if you have safeguarding concerns , please contact Ofsted on 0300 123 4666.

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 23:25:53

Ofsted and maybe NSPCC helpline too.

Tarla Sat 19-Nov-16 23:29:17

I'm a CM and when I'm not working I leave my own toddler outside if he falls asleep in the pushchair (fenced in yard, quiet area, visible from the kitchen, etc) because he sleeps better that way but I would never do this with a mindee unless I had express instructions from the parents - for example a parent might say, like I do for my toddler, "oh, xxxx sleeps better outside". And even then, even if I had those express instructions, that mindee would be in my sight and/or hearing (preferably both!) at all times. They certainly would not be out of my sight, visible from the street and crying their eyes out.

Call Ofsted and report it, they'll do the rest.

tapdancingmum Sat 19-Nov-16 23:44:54

I would also phone my first response number. If you google first response and your county the number will come up. They are the people responsible for Safeguarding children.

Blueskyrain Sat 19-Nov-16 23:49:53

Its not socially acceptable in this country, but it's the norm in Scandinavia. Even in winter.

AlexaTwoAtT Sun 20-Nov-16 00:31:09

Report her.

Tarla Sun 20-Nov-16 09:09:52

bluesky, it's very common in my area of the UK to leave your sleeping baby/toddler in the back garden, loads of the mums from school do it and we all just potter about in the kitchen with the pushchair in sight (I usually sit at the kitchen table with a cuppa and the laptop).

It's not common though to leave a baby crying outside and, from the sounds of the friend having to go into to house to alert the CM, the kitchen was at the back of the house while baby had been left at the front? So out of sight as well as out of hearing. I don't believe that there are baby snatchers hiding behind every bush however there is a safe way to let a baby sleep outside and an unsafe way. This way was very unsafe and a childminder shouldn't be taking such risks with someone else's child.

Redissuereader Sun 20-Nov-16 10:17:15

Well this is it, our health visitor actually told me this was a good way of baby getting some fresh air as long as well wrapped up. It was the distance between them and the fact that I was with baby crying and no one could hear or see!

insancerre Sun 20-Nov-16 10:25:47

In the EYFS, it says children should be within sight or hearing, so she technically hasn't broken the law as she may argue that she could hear the baby from within her house
She may also have permission from the child's parents to let the baby sleep outside
But you should report to ofsted if you feel concerned about the welfare and let them visit the cm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now