Strictly Viennese waltz

(19 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Sat 19-Nov-16 19:26:30

More of an, "I don't understand," really.
"That's Life," is in 4 4 time, so how can it be a waltz?

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 20:04:50

And a hand jive quickstep!

Velvetdarkness Sat 19-Nov-16 20:15:56

They rewrite them to the correct beat (is that the word?). That's why they often sound weird.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 19-Nov-16 20:21:31

It's crap. That was no Viennese waltz. I only glimpsed that one tonight as I got in from work

Don't watch strictly anymore because the dances are not real

Littledrummergirl Sat 19-Nov-16 20:31:15

The Charleston looked good but wasn't what I expect from that style. I was disappointed.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 19-Nov-16 20:36:58

It's gone way downhill

The public think what they are seeing is proper dancing but it's not! Nothing like the real hard slog of ballroom

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sat 19-Nov-16 20:38:30

i agree re gone downhill

i've totally lost interest this year

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 20:40:44

That's Life is in 12/8, lots of triplets. You can play it in 4/4 and lose a lot of the triplets and syncopation, but it is a very fast 12/8.

Puttin' on the Ritz was written as a Charleston originally, just not the slapstick sort SCD usually go for.

FrancesNiadova Sat 19-Nov-16 21:16:55

Bathroom, I see what you mean, but TBH at times the version on the TV tonight sounded like a solid 4/ 4.

thenightsky Sat 19-Nov-16 21:22:33

Last decent VW I saw was Alieca Dixon's.

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 21:26:34

Frances - yy I'm not saying the arrangement on the show was good but the initial song choice wasn't terrible, it could've worked.

thenightsky - I loved Alesha's VW but I am not sure how much that was influnced by my utter adoration of Matt Cutler... I do think Natalie and Scott's a few years back was good, but it was a Halloween one, so they get away with murder.

FrancesNiadova Sat 19-Nov-16 21:57:41

I just don't see how something so solidly 4 /4 could be a waltz. I can see that 12/ 8 could technically be like a 3 /4, but the speed of it and the triplets would detract from the lilting 3/ 4 of a waltz. I'd wondered if a Viennese was different, ( I don't know anything about dancing) !

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 22:08:46

Yes, the VW is not supposed to be as lilting as the Waltz, it only has 3 proper steps - natural turn, reverse turn and fleckerl and it is supposed to be fast, it's just that for the last 5/6 years, they've slowed them right down on Strictly. I mostly agree that Alesha's year was about they last time they did proper VWs, I just really, really like Natalie and Scott's so I give it a mental pass even though its a bit slow!

The problem is that it is not always an interesting dance to watch when done to the rules, so they mess about with the tempos and the intros and the theming to make them more watchable. Difficult-to-master dances are not often very entertaining to mass audiences.

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 22:11:57

So fast Bathroom, but not skippy? I did find it skippy, not that I'm an expert.

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 22:17:45

Yes, it shouldn't be skippy (and Ore's was, in places) but it doesn't have the swing and sway of a classic waltz. Done to strict rules, it is not an interesting dance to watch, which is why they mess around with it so much, and it really only looks good to a TV audience if you have a few couples on the floor and you film it from above. It should be flat, fast and spinny, so no rise and fall and very little lilting. Dance Macabre (the Jonathan Creek theme) is a classic VW, and you can hear in that the speed, the triplets and the sycopation.

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 22:19:32

Note - I'm also not an expert in ballroom, but I did dance for years as a child, and passed more than a few medals, and I used to play in several orchestras as a junior.

FrancesNiadova Sat 19-Nov-16 22:27:33

Thanks Bathroom, I understand the VW a little better now, (I'm music, not dance!)

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 22:27:39

I wish I understood the music side like you do. I sing, but I'm always impressed with people who really understand the subtlety of time signatures and keys!

TheBathroomSink Sat 19-Nov-16 22:44:19

I understood it a lot better about 20 years ago when I was still playing every week! Now it's a bit like trying to remember quadratic equations - and for those people who tell you maths and music go hand in hand, they are lying - I played at a junior national level for years whilst barely being able to count past 20 and as soon as they introduced letters into maths I stopped understanding a thing!!

Music and dance are intertwined for me, often in a way I can't describe. Dave Arch, who does the arrangements for the band on SCD often does an amazing job, and sometimes with music that you think will never work in a million years, but sometimes even though the arrangement is technically sound, it doesn't hit the mark on the feel of the dance, which is why you watch it and think 'meh' and other times you watch something that shouldn't work and it stays with you for years but even then you need the staging and wardrobe to hit the mark too - think Mark and Karen's AT or Cha-Cha, Alesha's Cha-Cha to Crazy in Love, and Rachel and Vincent's AT to When Doves Cry.

As much as you need to music to create the atmosphere, if the rest of the concept isn't right, the music has an uphill battle that it can't always overcome. Years back, Mel B did a paso to 'Free Your Mind' on the US version of Strictly, which was a bit out there, but the costumes, choreography and lighting all came together (not to mention, she danced out of her skin that week) and it is one of my most memorable dances, even getting on for 10 years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now