Talk

Advanced search

House of Fraser ad - steaming pile of wank?

(125 Posts)
OrangeKitchen Sat 19-Nov-16 15:20:30

Don't watch much tv but this ad has just stuck out for me - in that I want to hurl something at the telebox every time it's on. It's awful.
Who is it aimed at?
Does anyone like it?
Why?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sat 19-Nov-16 15:24:28

I haven't even seen it and I agreegrin I hate all these Christmas ads, I'm a grumpy git.

Nottalotta Sat 19-Nov-16 15:26:28

Nope. Hate it. It's very similar to last year's but I liked that one!

SmellySphinx Sat 19-Nov-16 15:29:15

All advertisers have gone fucking crazy with not only the type of nonsensical content of these christmas ads but also the length of time they are on for! I almost always forget what the actual ad is for after the first 2 minutes.

I have a special hatred for the Sainsburys one.

SmellySphinx Sat 19-Nov-16 15:30:10

Sorry, not what they're for (duuuuuurrrr) I mean who made the ad

SaagMasala Sat 19-Nov-16 15:30:51

I hate it.

I hate the song.

I agree its quite similar stylistically to last years, but I did quite like that one. I liked that song, and the ad itself I thought was good as it was something different - not twee or self-indulgent.

What I don't like about BOTH ads is that they are obviously targetted at a specific demographic which doesn't include my age group. I definitely will not shop there again, as they so clearly don't want me.

OrangeKitchen Sat 19-Nov-16 15:35:08

Not seen the Sainsbury's one - but I can imagine. Yes, advertisers must be on something this season. I've never seen such a collection of desperate tripe as this year's Christmas ads.
Wtf is with all the manic cutlery banging?

OrangeKitchen Sat 19-Nov-16 15:36:56

saag, what is the intended demographic??

pipsqueak25 Sat 19-Nov-16 15:51:16

'house' is awful but i like 'sainburys' and 'aldi' but 'john lewis' is my fave this year

KindergartenKop Sat 19-Nov-16 15:58:41

The house of Fraser ad really scares me. It's so dark!

NavyandWhite Sat 19-Nov-16 16:07:10

What is it?

FasterThanASnakeAndAMongoose Sat 19-Nov-16 16:07:29

I quite like it blush

It's definitely not aimed at me though and has confirmed what I already suspected - I am (at 32) too old and uncool for HoF. I never really shopped there anyway.

Don't get me started on the Tesco one though angry

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Sat 19-Nov-16 16:08:05

I like the airport one with the bears

idlewilde Sat 19-Nov-16 16:08:52

The point behind adverts like this is to get people taking about them. So I guess they have achieved it! grin

dementedma Sat 19-Nov-16 16:10:02

I like the Aldi one

PinkiePiesCupcakes Sat 19-Nov-16 16:12:10

youtu.be/L2uPAWrgL6s

This is it, its terrible.

SalemSaberhagen Sat 19-Nov-16 16:14:17

I was going to start a thread on this the other day. I hate it an irrational amount.

The80sweregreat Sat 19-Nov-16 16:15:10

The dancers are so thin! ( envy!)
Walked through the Lakeside one the other week. The perfume was making my eyes sting and there were some v interesting men's jackets in gold and leopard print! Dh in his north face waterproof rolled his eyes when i suggested he might like one ( ordered in an XXXL size, which they dont do no doubt! )I can honestly say i have never bought anything in there at all.
It was busy and still going strong, so its popular still.

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Sat 19-Nov-16 16:17:15

I have a hatred for all adverts (film trailers in particular) that are so...manic is the only word! Bang! Bang! Bang! Fast moving images for your brain! Bang! Artistic! Bang! Cool! Bang!

mum11970 Sat 19-Nov-16 16:19:12

Vistaprint advert does my head in. Poor grandmother getting a calendar with pics of the grandkids for the fourth year running and still looking surprised when she opens it. Not a Christmas advert but I'm also sick if seeing the stupid woman who can't eat a feckin yogurt without falling over and getting it on her nose.

haveacupoftea Sat 19-Nov-16 16:22:03

I hate the message, Christmas is coming for you. It's not Halloween hmm

The bit with all the diners doing a weird table dance...wtf.

Still not as bad as Sainsbury's though. It makes me want to not shop at Sainsbury's.

SaagMasala Sat 19-Nov-16 16:22:10

I used to shop in HoF quite a lot. Have bought some lovely posh frocks evening wear there. And perfume. I prefer the ranges of many items they stock, and in the past I liked the overall look and layout of the store.
But they obviously aren't interested in the over 40's white middle class any more.

I'll stay with John Lewis instead (even though they are definitely not as good as they used to be)

perhaps I'm just getting old & grumpy.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 19-Nov-16 16:23:10

Our local H of F has spent most of this year revamping the store and introducing new brands. The trouble is, they're all high end brands and they've removed the mid range ones. Won't be spending anything in there then.

surferjet Sat 19-Nov-16 16:26:53

Totally LOVE it!

Best Christmas advert by far ( as was last years ) they're not going for the surgery sweet nonsense.
Well done House of Fraser.

The80sweregreat Sat 19-Nov-16 16:28:13

I rarely go to the cinema, but i agree the ads and trailers are appalling.
Loud, in your face and ( sometimes) seem to show the whole film. Or just the very best bits.

Thank god for the mute button on tv ads.

Sainsbury one is pathetic this year. The 'man ' featured is on their christmas wrappers for ginger bread men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now