Advanced search

what would you do?

(345 Posts)
hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 08:37:14


Here is my situation.

I have a DD who is 8 months. Before I had her, I was working (full time) in a zero hours role, although you never actually got zero hours, it was in home community care.

I split up with her dad when she was 2 months, I've had maternity pay just the basic from the government.

Now here's the problem, I need to go back to work. My mum died when I was 13, she left me her house. I don't live in it as I met my boyfriend when I was 17, but I had some money left from what my mum left me, I bought a flat. Me and DD live in the flat now, obviously will prob need somewhere bigger when she's older but luckily she's a quite good baby.

Anyway because I have this house that is rented out to people I am not entitled to any benefits apart from child benefit.

But going back to work is difficult. I have to do anti social hours. I just can't as even if my baby is in nursery they aren't open nights and weekends.

So I need to think of another job, but don't know what. And I'm really starting to panic. I'm just looking for advice on what I can do, to support me and my baby.

toastymarshmallow Sat 19-Nov-16 08:42:49

Well the obvious question is can you give the tenants notice, sell the flat and move into the house? That way you have more space and maybe would be eligible for more benefits until you can find a job that you can get childcare for.

WouldHave Sat 19-Nov-16 08:43:48

Any chance of getting work in a nursery?

formerbabe Sat 19-Nov-16 08:43:51

Anyway because I have this house that is rented out to people I am not entitled to any benefits apart from child benefit

I don't know or understand the benefits system completely...but, have you checked if you're entitled to tax credits?

LIZS Sat 19-Nov-16 08:49:22

Why do you need to work antisocial hours? Care work is 24/7 so you could do daytime shifts , daycentre or care homes. Presumably the house provides an income but without mortgage to pay.

gamerwidow Sat 19-Nov-16 08:56:57

Have you approached your local NHS trusts to see if they are taking on bank staff? They usually have day shifts as well as evenings and weekends available? It could be an 'in' to a permanent post too.

Qwertie Sat 19-Nov-16 08:57:19

Could you be self employed? I had a similar quandary & set up as a self employed cleaner for a couple of years. You can start work straight away & call HMRC & inform them that you are now self employed & they can set you up a dirext debit for NI. I made sure all my jobs had an invoice (just a notes app on my phone) so that I had a record of work & I earned under personal allowance so I didn't have to worry about claiming expenses. The tax return was really simple as I wasn't claiming expenses and had all hours and income saved in my invoices. I hate cleaning, but it worked for me at the time.

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 09:02:28

Hi, thank you for your responses.

Selling the flat wouldn't make any difference, because I'd still have a lump of money. I don't really want to live in the house anyway, it's a bit in the middle of nowhere where I don't know anybody.

I haven't really thought about being self employed, I'm not sure there's that much call for cleaners round here to be totally honest.

The problem with care work is that you do need to commit to some antisocial hours, otherwise everyone would demand the same treatment. It does seem unfair as I had worked for the company for over 2 years when I had DD so they know I'm not a slacker but it's just how it is unfortunately.

AndShesGone Sat 19-Nov-16 09:09:09

Sell either the house or flat and live on the money til she goes to school?

QuiteLikely5 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:12:13

I would look for another job within 9-5 or approach your boss a advise that you may need to leave your post owing to childcare concerns and see if they will offer you sensible hours

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 09:16:39

thank you.

I don't want to sell the house or flat, I doubt it would generate enough for the next four years anyway and then I'd still have the childcare issues.

Quite, yes, I do need another job, what I'm wondering is what smile

Artandco Sat 19-Nov-16 09:22:44

Get a live in nanny

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 09:30:46

Thank you Art but I am afraid finances don't stretch to that, and the flat is one bedroom only.

toptoe Sat 19-Nov-16 09:35:37

So you're looking for work in the day.

Are you willing to do a bit of retraining? You could think about teaching assistant work - you can do courses that are fairly short and cheap to do. But the pay is shit, unless you're able to work every day during school hours. The hours are great for your dd though.

Maybe do a nursing diploma and aim to work in outpatients/community/health centre which will be more sociable?

Or HCA in outpatients/community/health centre?

witsender Sat 19-Nov-16 09:38:04

Sell both, buy something you want to live in?

Artandco Sat 19-Nov-16 09:42:27

Do you need to work full time if you have a rent and mortgage free home Plus rent from another property? Surely your only expense are household bills and food? Then any other luxuries? Most people spend 50% income on house, so if that's paid for

HeddaGarbled Sat 19-Nov-16 09:47:45

I think I would just look everywhere that local jobs are advertised and apply for anything that's available that you could do. I immediately thought of retail as where I live we have a big retail park which is always advertising for staff but that might not be the case where you live.

My SIL works for a catering company that does school dinners during school hours and does a bit of cleaning fitted around that. That suits her really well as she gets school holidays off.

Mrsemcgregor Sat 19-Nov-16 09:55:39

How much do you need to earn each month OP, bare minimum to keep you feed, warm, clothed etc?

AyeAmarok Sat 19-Nov-16 09:59:03

How much does the house bring in per month in rent?

Scooby20 Sat 19-Nov-16 10:02:39

Surely if yiu sold the house that would give you enough for the next few years. A bit of breathing room to decide what you want to do.

Do you want a career or job? If yiu want a career use the proceeds of the house to support you through some retraining. If you are happy with anything as long as it pays, just keep looking in all the job sites and apply for whatever fits.

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 11:33:58

if I sell the house then ultimately when the money runs out me and DD will be living off of benefits which I don't want. What I want is a 9-5 job but there don't seem to be many sad and retail is the same problem, have to work Saturdays and other bank holidays.

HamletsSister Sat 19-Nov-16 11:36:17

What about advertising for a childcare swap? There might be someone else locally who could help you out, while you do the same for them?

Maybe you have uncovered a gap in the market? Could you be the person who offers School pick ups, evening hours etc but with your DD there too?

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 11:37:42

maybe but I don't think it's something I can rely on smile think you need to be a registered childminder. Plus where I live isn't suitable, it's on the small side for me and a baby tbh.

Scooby20 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:46:36

But it could give you enough money to live on while you find something or retrain. It could give you some extra time at home.

You do have options available to you. You just don't want to take them. Maybe just look for any daytime job to put you on until you decide how you want proceed. You could always sell or whatever later.

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 11:48:46

Yes, I realise that Scooby, but what I want is to work, either full time or part time, and earn enough for me and my daughter to live on. Unfortunately all the jobs I've seen involve anti social hours and so I can't take them. I'm not being awkward but as I've no one to help, I need nursery hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now