Talk

Advanced search

To say yes to a job and go for another interview a few weeks later?

(15 Posts)
Scottishthreeberry16 Sat 19-Nov-16 00:52:22

So, have been lucky enough to be called to two job interviews.

Job 1: part-time, one year contract.

Job 2: full-time, permanent.

Job 1 interview takes place 2 and a half weeks before Job 2 interview.

I desperately need a job (currently out of work). I'd prefer the permanent position but what do I do if I'm offered Job 1 first? I don't want to jeopardise my chances of securing a post (which I think will happen if I come clean about another job interview). It kind of feels wrong to accept job 1 and then let them down on account of securing another job so soon. Is this what people usually do? (have been out of the job market for ages). If I'm not offered Job 2, then I'd happily accept Job 1.

Of course, I might not get any but I feel I need to have a clear strategy.

Benedikte2 Sat 19-Nov-16 01:04:17

I had a similar problem and like you, having scruples, wasn't sure what to do. For pragmatic reasons I took the first job, then after I was offered to second job I gave my notice to the first. I felt awful and they weren't very pleased but you have to look after yourself and I doubt the bosses in either of the situations would have blinked an eye about taking the same action themselves. (Which is how they come to climb the employment ladder). Provided you do your best at the first job while you're there they won't have been materially affected and you can't be expected to adversely affect your employment prospects for years to come just because of unfortunate timing. Besides which you have no way of telling whether, when you interview for job no. 2 whether you would accept it if it was offered -- could be anything wrong with it!
Good luck

selsigfach Sat 19-Nov-16 01:05:17

Say 'thank you very much' to job 1 if offered it and go to interview 2 and hopefully get to let down job 1. Would the first post start immediately? If not, it wouldn't be too awkward.

IAmNotACat Sat 19-Nov-16 01:26:22

YA definitely NBU

We all do this. You'd be mad to not go for the full time permanent job. Job 1 will offer it to the next person in line if you accept then turn it down. This happens all the time.

oldlaundbooth Sat 19-Nov-16 01:35:22

Do it.

It's your life, not theirs. Put yourself first.

Eevee77 Sat 19-Nov-16 01:36:45

Life is too short. It would be an inconvenience to job 1 but presumably not as much of an inconvenience that a 1 year contract could make to your life? Do what you need to do.

venusinscorpio Sat 19-Nov-16 01:44:18

I totally agree you should do this. They wouldn't give a shit about you. I stupidly turned down an interview for a good job when I had a temp job that I had committed to. They let me go due to lack of budget two months later.

crazywriter Sat 19-Nov-16 02:09:43

YANBU at all. I ended up with a call centre job for a week. After going through the training I handed in my notice because I got a job offer for a more permanent grad job. Never felt guilty or regretted it for a minute. Gotta do what's best for you.

AntiHop Sat 19-Nov-16 02:48:57

Do it. You've got to do what's best for you.

Scottishthreeberry16 Sat 19-Nov-16 03:07:13

Thanks all. I don't think job 1 will start till January, by which time I'll know about Job 2. I'm a bit worried about them sending me a contract and having to sign it I guess.

HairyScaryMonster Sat 19-Nov-16 09:11:16

Well when you get the contract for job 1 check the notice period and give it before you've even started.mchances are their runner up candidate may still be looking.

ChuckGravestones Sat 19-Nov-16 09:14:29

It is not about scruples, it is about making a decision based on the possibilities offered to you. Get offered a job, accept it. Get offered another job, that is preferable, then accept that and tell the first job that you are sorry but you have been offered a job that suits you better.

Saying it is about scruples, means that nobody would ever leave a job ever because they wouldn't want to upset their employer. Which is categorically ridiculous.

Milkand2sugarsplease Sat 19-Nov-16 09:20:44

It's the way of the world. People leave jobs for better opportunities and employers know this. No boss is daft enough to think that his/her employees wouldn't jump ship if the right opportunity came along

Accept the first,

Go get the second

Choose the one that's best for you

Don't feel bad.

Good luck! star

KathArtic Sat 19-Nov-16 09:30:26

Job 1 may turn out to be better in terms of enhancing your CV. It could turn into a permanent post/more hours.

Job 2 you may not get the 'vibe' of the place.

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadu Sat 19-Nov-16 10:20:32

YANBU.
do what works for you.
You will get absolutely no thanks whatsoever for putting aside a permanent job out in order to keep virtual strangers happy.
Life is too short for that.
look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now