Advanced search

Applying for Universal Credit while getting divorced

(8 Posts)
AmericanPastoral Fri 18-Nov-16 22:28:37

My friend is divorcing her husband. He has recently lost his job. He is applying for Universal Credit and he says he needs to put down my friend's income. Does anyone know if he needs to do this? They are living in the same house. Thanks.

amy85 Fri 18-Nov-16 22:57:34

he should be claiming as a single person so they shouldn't need her income...

Do they have kids together?

He's obviously put her name on the claim for some reason or they wouldn't be asking about her income

AmericanPastoral Fri 18-Nov-16 23:00:34

Thanks. I would have thought he should be claiming as a single person but I've just looked at the website and it looks as though if you are still sharing a household you need to put your partner's details down.

Manumission Fri 18-Nov-16 23:02:00

Separated people aren't still a joint "household".

flossietoot Fri 18-Nov-16 23:02:56

It does mean the money will be paid to him- one of the biggest criticisms of it- so she won't get the child benefit paid to her for example, or tax credits

AmericanPastoral Fri 18-Nov-16 23:06:45

Fortunately they don't have children. I don't know if they will be regarded as separated as they are living in the same house.

amy85 Fri 18-Nov-16 23:20:37

I think she should ring up and check...because as they are living as seperated i.e. not sharing a bed, not food shopping together not eating together he should really be claiming as single

AmericanPastoral Sat 19-Nov-16 00:47:14

Thanks amy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now