Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a "norovirus isn't that bad" thread for emetophobes?

(9 Posts)
slomow Thu 17-Nov-16 23:26:59

Huge emetophobe here. Everywhere I look it's evident the norovirus season has started. I've seen so many on here worried about getting it/kids getting it etc.

I thought it might help instead of having panicky threads we could share some stories about d&v where it was not as bad as we thought or any kind of positive outcome?

I'll go first:

I got norovirus in March this year and it's the first time I vomited in 20 years. When that happened I was reminded that the actual awful feeling is the nausea that you have before you vomit, and that the vomiting itself is actually just a mechanical relief from that nausea. When you are nauseous you always imagine that there is "worse to come" - but actually you are experiencing the worst at the time.

Slowmow Sat 19-Nov-16 09:20:23

Bumping this only once it may not be of interest to anyone but just in case it is...

mrswhiplington Sat 19-Nov-16 10:01:27

The only "positive outcome" I experienced last time I had d&v was 4lb weight loss. I had to take 4 days off work and couldn't look after my family. Totally miserable time.sad

AliceInHinterland Sat 19-Nov-16 10:05:40

I agree that the nausea is the worst - and I normally only vomit once, at most twice then feel like a new person! It usually lasts less than 24 hours (this time only about 8 hours total). It's better than a cold that lasts weeks and makes you feel miserable, and work are usually glad that you stay away, whereas with a cold they can be sceptical.

ClassmateHB Sat 19-Nov-16 10:05:59

That you don't always catch it.

Twice norovirus has affected my close family. My children, my partner, my dss.

Twice I have had the nausea (psychosomatic?) But nothing else.

My hands have been peeling from bleach each time, but I've still not succumbed.

dontbesillyhenry Sat 19-Nov-16 10:36:50

I feel so on edge at this time of year. Sadly ive passed my phobia on to my DD who gets in the biggest state if someone in her class is ill.
I cant help but panic and feel so sick when someone in the family is ill and instantly I get stomach cramps and nausea.
The thing that worries me the most is getting it when you have plans i.e travelling somewhere or parties etc and them being spolied

Julju Sat 19-Nov-16 11:45:09

Agree with the comment about the nausea being worse than the vomiting, which lasts for seconds and generally gives you some relief so you can sip water and sleep.

I think it's something you need to give into. Not worry about spoiled plans and homework but just let your body recover.

What has helped my anxiety around D&V loads is having a bucket with thick gloves, bleach, one-use sponges, etc. for keeping toilets and buckets spotless. Nothing worse than nausea and a less than pristine bucket or toilet bowl

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Sat 19-Nov-16 11:53:14

I'm not an emetophobe but thought I'd pass on this tip. Cat litter. If someone is sick, throw cat litter over it and then go have a cup of tea. It'll soak up the liquid and take some of the smell away. You can get most of it up with a dustpan and brush.

Candlelight123 Sat 19-Nov-16 13:13:12

You might not catch it, DS had horrid D&V bug in summer, husband Also caught it but I remained unscathed! A great victory for an emetophobe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now