To ask for a pay rise 2 weeks before going on maternity leave? (teacher)

(18 Posts)
Bumbleclat Thu 17-Nov-16 17:35:23

I passed my NQT year very successfully in July.

All of my Newly Qualified Teacher friends were automatically moved up to the next pay scale in October and back paid from when they started back at school in September.

I have my appraisal tomorrow (which the head tried to convince me that there's no point in doing because I won't be there for the duration of my ML) and I want to pluck up the courage to ask about this but am worried I'll be met with discrimination because I'm due to go on ML in 2 weeks time.

I would really appreciate your experience of this one if you have any- maybe how to phrase it?

AIBU to ask?

Thanks

JontyDoggle37 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:38:25

I'd be saying 'obviously in not here to talk about my goals for the next year as i'll be off, but I would like to confirm when my pay will be reviewed and updated in light of my qualification'. Simple.

c3pu Thu 17-Nov-16 17:39:19

If you're being treated differently from everyone else due to your pregnancy, then that is discrimination indeed.

Perhaps politely point out the deal your colleagues have all received, and ask if you'll be getting the same?

If the answer is no, ask why not.

And if you believe that you are going to be discriminated against, smuggle in a recording device and go to the union/tribunal.

Boysnme Thu 17-Nov-16 17:39:54

I would ask, you can't be discriminated against because of ML. What's the worst they say? No?

Trifleorbust Thu 17-Nov-16 17:40:07

You can't be discriminated against because you are on ML, it's illegal. The pay rise is based on work you have already done and a qualification you have achieved. I would make it clear that I expected my maternity pay to be based on my up to date salary.

LIZS Thu 17-Nov-16 17:40:12

It won't affect your Smp as that is based upon what you actually received in the relevant weeks. Yes just ask how your pay will be reviewed in light of qualification.

LadyNymeriaGhost Thu 17-Nov-16 17:45:40

You have to move up the scale as if you'd performed to your usual ability anyway. So if you're sure to go m1 to m2 at the end of this year, mat leave shouldn't affect this, nor your pay rise from last year.

Bumbleclat Thu 17-Nov-16 17:59:16

JontyDoggle37 succinct thank you, wish me luck!

Bumbleclat Thu 17-Nov-16 18:01:07

Thank you every one smile

CrazyCatLaydee123 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:05:31

I got moved to M2 after my NQT, despite the fact that I am going on parental leave from January.

HairyScaryMonster Thu 17-Nov-16 18:30:30

Perhaps worth mentioning if you feel it would help thst it won't affect mat pay as its not going back to your qualifying week (unless it is???)

Willow33 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:04:28

I was told I couldn't go up on the mps when I went on mat leave.

Soontobenewmummy Thu 17-Nov-16 19:18:08

Good luck OP! Just wanted to add my recent experience as I'm going on mat leave soon. A few PP have mentioned that your mat pay won't reflect any pay rise as it wasn't in place during the relevant 'qualifying weeks'. I was in this position - pay rise between this period and start of mat leave. I've successfully argued to my employer that this isn't fair and mat pay should be recaluated to reflect my salary at point of going on mat leave - and they've agreed! I found a useful page on the HMRC website which suggests that legally that should be the case (on my phone so I can't link to it).

Good luck with your negotiations!

Bumbleclat Thu 17-Nov-16 19:47:55

Thank you. It should be back paid from this September so should be reflected in my MP iyswim.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe 2 weeks of negotiation ahead!

sdaisy26 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:59:37

I've just been researching this for a friend (am also a teacher).

Firstly, as you get enhanced mat pay, the qualifying period doesn't matter, you should get your mat pay on your new salary.

There should be no issue with you going up the payscale from Sept 2016 as that is based on your performance last year.

You also shouldn't be excluded from a payrise next year solely because of your maternity - mat leave counts as continuation of service & not as an 'absence' as such. Willow33 I'm sorry you were given such bad information, it simply isn't true.

If you think head is going to be tricky then might be worth talking to your Union beforehand? I actually have a document with all the relevant links / info on - pm me your email address & I'll send it on if you like.

Bumbleclat Thu 17-Nov-16 20:02:37

Thanks so much, I'll pm you smile

Bumbleclat Sat 19-Nov-16 05:04:22

sdaisy26
Thank you so much for the info, I felt armed when I went in.
Thank you all, I used some of your phrasing and it was great within 2 minutes of the meeting starting, the head had agreed to move me up to next pay rung and backdate from September. I was so relieved when it was sorted.
Thanks again.

Squeegle Sat 19-Nov-16 06:15:33

Well done grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now