Talk

Advanced search

To not understand how anyone would go to Dubai

(227 Posts)
GladAllOver Thu 17-Nov-16 16:36:39

A woman reports being raped, and is promptly arrested for having non-marital sex. And this isn't the first time. How can anyone choose to go to such a savage, uncivilised place?

news.sky.com/story/british-woman-arrested-in-dubai-after-reporting-rape-10660134

BadKnee Thu 17-Nov-16 16:48:35

You are right in your comments about the article that you linked but YABU to say no-one should travel anywhere where there are atrocities/rapes/violence etc.

People have been travelling to all sorts of countries which when their record is examined have done much the same. I don't think it would achieve anything if they stopped

JellyBelli Thu 17-Nov-16 16:52:20

YANBU.
Saudi Arabia has a terrible attitude towards women. A woman who has been raped and finds herself pregnant will be lashed for having extra marital sex. She stands no chance of getting a conviction. If she flees a burning house and her clothes are burned off she can be lashed.

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadu Thu 17-Nov-16 16:53:16

I live in Dubai.
Its a lot safer than most of the other places I've lived in.

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 17-Nov-16 16:54:12

Unless you get raped and arrested for it...

GladAllOver Thu 17-Nov-16 16:54:28

BadKnee,
Sadly rapes happen everywhere, and in this case the alleged offenders were British. My complaint is that the law in Dubai is so cruel - it is the ultimate victim blaming.

SpeakNoWords Thu 17-Nov-16 16:56:19

YANBU. There's no way I would go there or other places with similar attitudes to women. I'm constantly puzzled by how popular it is as a holiday destination.

Cocklodger Thu 17-Nov-16 16:56:30

This is why I have always refused to go. Yanbu OP.
Its not a safe country if a woman who is raped is then arrested due to the law
It would be wrong if nothing was done.
the fact that she is also PUNISHED for her rapist actions isn't 'wrong' its fucking atrocious

theothersideoftheworld Thu 17-Nov-16 16:58:58

I know what you're saying , but I don't think we can get on our moral high horse about this when we've just had a rape case where the victims sexual history was dragged through the court and this woman has had to move several times to get away from harassment and hate. Victim blaming in both cases. We are no better.

user1475253854 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:00:16

There was a programme on R4 in the past year about human rights in Dubai. Even if you are a man it's pretty terrible, people getting beaten and dying in prison etc so imagine it's 10x worse for women.

Valentine2 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:00:42

It's an abhorrent thing but I don't dont see how not going there will help anything at all? We have basically helped in every possible way to destroy Mid East. Should that mean no one should visit us? hmm
YABU

Babyroobs Thu 17-Nov-16 17:01:06

Well my friends son has just taken his whole family to start a new life out there. I presume it's because of the massive pay check, nice apartment, private schooling for his kids etc but it's not somewhere I would go for any amount of money.

JellyBelli Thu 17-Nov-16 17:01:39

I dont agree, we can get on our moral high horse about it and other issues such as FGM.
We dont have to support it or finance it.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 17-Nov-16 17:01:42

I wouldn't go. It's immoral.

SpeakNoWords Thu 17-Nov-16 17:02:11

Um, of course it's better in the UK. Of course there are improvements that could be made, but you won't be arrested for adultery if you report a rape! That's not just victim blaming that's state-approved victim punishment.

theothersideoftheworld Thu 17-Nov-16 17:03:48

It's still victim blaming though.

dovesong Thu 17-Nov-16 17:04:33

Apparently one of the reasons it's so popular among minor celebs is that the hotels offer free room and board to anyone who gets photographed there. I assume that 'normal' people actually do get duped into going there after seeing pictures of Billie Faiers et al... Ridiculous really. Why not just support somewhere with a better human rights record?

babybarrister Thu 17-Nov-16 17:04:51

Totally agree and have seen terrible injustice for many, many expat wives out there who separate ....

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Thu 17-Nov-16 17:05:48

I find it incredible that anyone goes there. Aside from the ethical issues (did you go on holiday in apartheid South Africa, you unthinking idiots?) it looks a truly vile and vulgar place.

Yoarchie Thu 17-Nov-16 17:07:22

It's a "cheap" holiday to a sunny luxurious place. (As compared to where else you could go at this time of year for sun. ).

dontrustcharisma Thu 17-Nov-16 17:08:31

YANBU Fortunatly I can't afford to go to Dubai, but even If I could I wouldnt go. I could afford to go to Turkey and don't go there for similar reasons.

oldlaundbooth Thu 17-Nov-16 17:08:47

I agree.

Plus its blisteringly hot.

Not for me.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Thu 17-Nov-16 17:09:20

I don't think it's cheap. And I pay school fees so my tolerance for haemorrhageing cash is pretty high.
Even if it were I'm not sure that excuses giving countenance to a society which discriminates against women and migrant workers so appallingly.

oldlaundbooth Thu 17-Nov-16 17:10:12

Babybarrister, like what? The father getting full custody of kids?

neonrainbow Thu 17-Nov-16 17:19:50

There's no way on earth you could pay me to go there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now