To follow my dream??

(4 Posts)
QueenOfTheNaps Thu 17-Nov-16 11:10:10

This is going to be a long one so apologies in advance.

I have DS12 and was a single mum, in every sense of the word (NO financial or emotional support) for 8 years. I trained to teach and worked my way up to a managerial position in a large secondary school which was stressful but rewarding. Then I met DH. He swept me off my feet and within 9 months myself and DS had moved in with him, quite far away, so I gave up my job and became totally dependent on DH. He is lovely, loves my son as his own and was happy for me to take up a housewife role. At first I found it lovely, no stress etc. DH has a well paid job with short hours so we are able to spend a lot of time together. (Please this isn't a stealth boast)

Recently I've found myself feeling very.... dissatisfied. I know I'm incredibly lucky in my situation, really I do. I miss the importance of having a job (SAHM is all very well and good when u have a child to actually stay at home with...) but the thought of going back to teaching fills me with dread a little bit.

So... I've been thinking more and more about the career that I originally wanted to follow (before darling DS came along during my uni years and scuppered that plangrin) and I feel that I would love it. The only problem is it involves 6 months training abroad.

Am I being totally selfish in pursuing it? Spending 6 months away from my family is a selfish thing isn't it?
I know the answer is I should just get a job nearby but I'm tired of feeling unsatisfied and unchallenged. This new career would definitely be challenging. And because DH earns well and doesn't mind supporting us I feel the job would really have to be 'worth it' satisfaction wise to go ahead with that.

At the moment, as my username suggests, I'm tending to spend most of my days napping, watching boxsets, baking and eating. Not good for me and certainly not a good example to DS.

Yes, a true first world problem if ever there was one. I just feel a bit low and pointless right now

OhBollocksFuck Thu 17-Nov-16 11:13:03

Go for it. Life's short.

Sorry but your life sounds boring at the minute. Follow your dreams.

It's nothing to do with your DH or DS (it's your life, your decision) but surely they'd prefer you to be happy and fulfilled even if it did mean 6 months away from them.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 17-Nov-16 11:15:47

Hmm. I don't know. I'm usually in the Go For It camp but it doesn't really sound like you're making much effort to do things that would make your life more meaningful (to you) right here. There are eleventy hundred things you could do today that would make you feel better than napping and box sets!

Yakari Thu 17-Nov-16 11:26:38

I'm all for follow your dream but I also think you need to be pragmatic. So what's the plan? A good place to start with the training and what it really looks like.
Is 6 months abroad the only way to train? I would look at alternatives.
And also what does abroad mean - 6 months and no time home, 6 months but back every weekend/fortnight/monthly/only once in that period?

Then what happens after training, what chances are there of a job? Would you set up on your own - are you entrepreneurial enough for that?

If you and the family really work the details through then it's likely to be very obvious which way to jump. And if the answer is that dream won't fly, then that's the time you look for another one. You may just be bored and clutching to an old dream versus understanding what your new dreams are.

Either way good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now