Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what the hell is HYGGE and why is everyone suddenly so obsessed with it?

(4 Posts)
goodeyebrows Thu 17-Nov-16 09:50:00

It's everywhere! The paper, social media, on television. Why has it just appeared out of nowhere and everyone suddenly obsessed?

Lottapianos Thu 17-Nov-16 09:53:48

It's a Danish word that means having friends round and getting all warm and cozy together in Winter. I saw Sandi Toksvig explain it on QI the other week. She said at always involves alcohol too grin

I think the reason we're hearing so much about it is because retailers think it's a great way to convince people to buy obscenely expensive throws and blankets and scented candles and such like

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Thu 17-Nov-16 09:57:09

I like it but its yet another thing that's being hijacked and turned into a cynical marketing ploy to get us spending! The original concept is great.

GeorgeHerbert Thu 17-Nov-16 09:57:15

It's a Danish word that just means everything nice, living well, being cosy, surrounding yourself with nice people and simple nice things. I think it originated because the Danes have such long cold winters they became exports and looking after themselves! It's been pounced on by interior decorators and Sunday supplements who clearly don't believe that people in the UK can do 'cosy'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now