Talk

Advanced search

Transgender Children

(875 Posts)
LouBlue1507 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:18:48

Just watching yesterday's 'This Morning'... Two children who decided at 2 and 3 years old they wanted to be the opposite sex.

Am I the only one thinking that gender identity disorder is a mental illness and should be treated as such! Instead of indulging children and jumping on the bandwagon! Just because your child doesn't like dresses and plays with cars doesn't mean they should become a boy!
You wouldn't give an anorexic liposuction yet these children can be given hormones at 16 to change their gender?!

I genuinely want to know if anyone thinks anything similar!

Stormwhale Thu 17-Nov-16 09:22:51

I don't think it would even exist without the gender stereotypes that society have created. If children were able to just play with toys, without labels, there would be no reason for a child to think like this. I don't think a 2/3 year old child is able to have the thoughts that their genitalia is incorrect. It can only be about toys or interests.

PilkoPumpPants Thu 17-Nov-16 09:24:17

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous as well. People don't seem to understand that transgender means someone feels they are in the wrong body, not that they enjoy activities or looking like the oppposite sex.

The sooner gender stereotyping stops the sooner we'll stop seeing transgender children who have no understanding of the meaning.

Being transgender isn't being a girl and loving football or cars. These parents are causing so much damage to their children.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:32:22

I have no clue how a 2 year old would know if they were the "wrong" gender.

NavyandWhite Thu 17-Nov-16 09:34:58

Same 001

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:35:11

I agree that a boy liking dolls doesn't mean he is a girl and a girl that likes cars isn't a boy.

it's almost like it "fashionable" fro kids be trans and actually devalues(?) the process for those who are genuinely suffering from gender disphoria.

I wanted to be boy when I was young, I felt it desperately unfair that boys were given opportunities that girls weren't. I cut my hair, dressed like a boy etc. However, that didn't mean I thought I was actually a boy.

WellErrr Thu 17-Nov-16 09:35:39

The parent tells them binary.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:35:45

dysphoria*

LouBlue1507 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:40:38

I agree that it's the toy and clothes stereotypes that are to blame. But it seems to me that having a child who is different these days is fashionable. 'Look at me and my different child, look how accepting I am'

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 17-Nov-16 09:40:50

I have treated my child's GID as a mental disorder, however the many different therapists we have seen have said it isn't a mental illness.

There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon now for sure but there are also a lot of children struggling and parents doing their best, don't put us all in the same category please.

MidniteScribbler Thu 17-Nov-16 09:41:27

I think it's ridiculous. I liked Lego and Matchbox cars growing up. There was never any suggestion that I was anything other than the gender I was born as, I just happened to like Lego and Matchbox cars.

I don't doubt that there are genuine cases of gender disphoria, but I think they are rarer than the media would like to portray. And just like any major surgery or modifications, I don't think it should be allowed until after the age of 18.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 17-Nov-16 09:41:48

Look at me and my different child, look how accepting I am'

Oh piss off you clearly have no idea what it's like.

pipsqueak25 Thu 17-Nov-16 09:46:11

at last people talking sense, it is the latest -trend- in thing, i have every empathy for people that are actually struggling with this and it is real , but as for the other idiots and these stupid 'parents' of the 2 / yos well, ffs.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:02:11

elsa but that is how it appears - it's "fashionable" to have an unusual child - and things like "Oh this 2 year old girl who likes cars must be trans" - it will eventually replace words like "tomboy" and will not really helping people with genuine dysphoria.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:03:48

It's like someone exclaiming "I'm a bit OCD about having all my bras and pants matching!"

WalterWhitesNipple Thu 17-Nov-16 10:05:29

I completely agree op.

Now I'm just going to grab some popcorn grin

PilkoPumpPants Thu 17-Nov-16 10:07:34

I'm really alarmed how many HCP are happy to keep labelling these children and young teenagers as trans as well.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 17-Nov-16 10:08:50

I cant watch this stuff as its a confusing headfuck

regardless of the fucked up and twisted politics, I think there should be an age limit for this, and that having a segment on a morning TV show (next to raincoats for dogs and a cake recipe) is just irresponsible broadcasting

maddiemookins16mum Thu 17-Nov-16 10:11:14

DD wanted to be a horse at 3 years old and live in a stable. I really think children that age have no idea and it's encouraged by barmy parents.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 17-Nov-16 10:14:09

Some idiots come along, seek a bit of attention and use their children to get into the spotlight, then families like mine, who have been through more than you could possibly imagine due to my child feeling this way get lumped in the same category.

If you are going to base your opinion on all children who feel this way look into it more and don't just take a few fame hungry people's word as gospel for us all.

timeforheroes Thu 17-Nov-16 10:16:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 17-Nov-16 10:22:10

Last night DD aged 2.4 announced to me "I'm boy!" I corrected her. She then announced "No! I Turtle".
We adopt the approach of calling her a girl, dressing her in whatever is practical and appropriate for the day (mostly joggers and t shirts), allowing her to play with whatever she likes.
I do feel the "prevalence" of transgender is mostly due to gender stereotypes and it's the "buzz word" of life today. There are some genuine cases of feeling that your body is not right, but sadly they are over shadowed by the rest.
It scares me as I may have gone down that route as an older child/teenager as I was very much a tomboy and very insecure about myself. Now I'm proud to be female.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:23:07

No-one is basing their opinion on the entire trans matter from these kind of people. They are commenting that people like the ones in the OP are actually doing more harm than good by coming out and saying "oh my child just loves ponies, so they must be a girl, so that's what we will tell them.. and then parade them on TV For all to see"

No-one would be able to go on TV with a child who is 2 and go "He's quite shy, he has Autism" or "He likes arranging his cars by colours, he has OCD" or "He's a real live wire, and gets distracted, he has ADHD" or "oh sometimes he gets really cross, and other times he's happy as can be, he has Bipolar"... it completely makes genuine disorders less understood and almost minimises them, because people eye-roll and go "Oh dear, not another xxx"

KC225 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:23:14

Here in Sweden, DD friend's brother is 4 and loves wearing his sister's clothes. Last Christmas he asked for only frozen items including an Elsa dress which they bought. I was there when a neighbour asked the hunting/fishing carpenter DAD if he thought his son wanted to be a girl to which he replied 'right now, he's three and he wants a dressing up oufit and that's all that matters.' They seem bemused by it but it's no big deal.

I don't doubt the heartache and soul searching that must be endured people genuinely feeling trapped in the wrong body but this rubber stamping small children into categories is uncomfortable.

00100001 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:23:20

elsa ^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now