So much vanity

(8 Posts)
Gingerlilly Wed 16-Nov-16 21:42:39

AIBU to not let my 15 year old dd get a waist trainer! Seriously are we going backwards? I have explained all the health issues and really why does a 15 year old need a cinched in waist, She is only a size 10 anyway. (Thats fat apparently, so she must think Im huge!) I am just so sad about the constant pressure that teens feel to look all gorgeous all of the time. I know times are different but I'm sure all this vanity is getting worse and worse. Anyway Ive said no and now Dd is sulking upstairs because I also won't pay for a gym membership. This whole argument has ended with me, dh and dd all not speaking to each other as usual.

user1477282676 Thu 17-Nov-16 04:10:05

Well I would pay for the gym if I could afford it. The waist trainer will more than likely just be a fad...she'll probably dump it after trying it on.

If she wants to get fit, what's up with the gym? She's 15 after all...not a little girl.

Waist cynchers aren't ideal I agree but in reality they're not that different from a pair of spanx.

Stanky Thu 17-Nov-16 06:18:02

I don't think that there's anything wrong with a gym membership, but they can be expensive.

The pressure on young girls to be skinny is a shame. I don't know what the answer is other than to try to help her see that she is beautiful just the way she is, with or without make up.

Sirzy Thu 17-Nov-16 06:19:49

If you can afford a gym membership - maybe as a Christmas present? - I would.

Make sure it's a decent one, get a proper induction and plan put in place.

mickeyjohn Thu 17-Nov-16 06:27:44

Most gyms do student rates so wouldn't have to cost much. They're usually pretty good at providing appropriate sessions for that age group too. I think it's a great idea - fitness isn't about vanity, it's hard work & great for self esteem. She should go if you can afford it!

mickeyjohn Thu 17-Nov-16 06:28:09

Too much, not to much!

NicknameUsed Thu 17-Nov-16 06:33:33

I wish my DD would consider a gym membership. She is a proper couch potato.

GreatFuckability Thu 17-Nov-16 06:37:14

A waist trainer is NOT the same as spanks. They are dangerous and unhealthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now