Talk

Advanced search

To think she over reacted

(69 Posts)
friendswithacat Wed 16-Nov-16 20:12:29

It was recently a friends birthday. Friend has (and likes) cats. Presents and cards had cats on them. However, she is a bit upset as she feels she is being called a crazy cat lady! Is she BU

NavyandWhite Wed 16-Nov-16 20:15:30

How many cats does she have? 😺

Bailey101 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:16:17

I have cats and always get cards with cats on - last birthday I got 12 cards, 9 with cats on and 3 with cars (my other passion) grin

She sounds like she's overreacting a bit.

LauderSyme Wed 16-Nov-16 20:16:56

Did you scrawl "Oi nutter" all over them?!

If not, she is definitely BU grin

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 16-Nov-16 20:17:12

grin

Oh dear.

SquinkiesRule Wed 16-Nov-16 20:20:45

My sister always gets Horse or cat cards for her birthday, she isn't crazy but does like both cats and horses.
Debenhams has crazy cat lady mugs in the Christmas gift section, get her one for Christmas.

Biggles398 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:21:45

Most of my cards have animals on. I like animals. No big deal, people are being thoughtful.

hesterton Wed 16-Nov-16 20:23:16

People like to make a link like that. She's being a bit silly.

TotalPerspectiveVortex Wed 16-Nov-16 20:24:07

I got a crazy cat lady card this year & I don't have a cat!! But everyone knows I love them & want one as soon as we have a cat-friendly home. I thought it was sweet people knew me so well DP was a bit worried I'd be upset

Bahhhhhumbug Wed 16-Nov-16 20:28:59

Well not BU exactly but maybe a little over sensitive. I am sure if someone sends a card with a 'mad cat lady' theme it is done from a place of affection. I don't think anyone would bother going to the trouble of sending someone a card with a theme of something they know that person likes ,just to take the mickey. I call my ex sil 'mad dog woman' as she has rescue dogs and has three or four now but it is taken in the way it is intended as a bit of banter not ridicule.

friendswithacat Wed 16-Nov-16 20:31:26

She has 3 cats. Thanks for replies. She's lovely and I feel bad we might have caused inadvertent upset.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 16-Nov-16 20:38:26

I have one cat and still class myself as a crazy cat lady. It's nothing to be offended by!

PilkoPumpPants Wed 16-Nov-16 20:43:29

Make sure all of her Christmas presents have dogs on to balance it out.grin

Meadows76 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:45:41

She isn't BU if that's how she feels. Maybe she does not want the fact that she likes cats to define her.

RubbishMantra Wed 16-Nov-16 21:08:25

Nearly all the cards I get have cat pictures on them, often a lot of presents are cat themed. Including a couple of lovely original cat paintings. Never offended me.

I have 2 cats.

Here's one of my boys, doing a MN head tilt. grin

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 16-Nov-16 21:09:30

But it shows that the cards/gifts are chosen specifically for her with thought! Better than a generic card and gift that came from the present drawer for those occasions you forget!

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:11:32

We have 4 cats (not my choice; DH envisages himself as some kind of portly pied piper of the feline world and brings home new ones each time my back's turned) and every card I ever get has those claw-riddled ignorant swines all over it. I'm just giving in and accepting my fate at the crazy cat lady of the midlands region.

Moomichi Wed 16-Nov-16 21:15:39

I think she needs to read it as her friends know her well and know her interests. Maybe she's a little insecure at the moment? ..

SabineUndine Wed 16-Nov-16 21:18:12

Where I work I'm pretty sure they think I'm a crazy cat lady and I don't give an arse. There are worse things to be.

Eevee77 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:18:45

I love cats. I've had 3 cats. But there is also more to me than cats. Anything more than one novelty item would not be appreciated.

Autumnchill Wed 16-Nov-16 21:29:04

I think out of the 20 or so cards I got, there was only 2 without cats on and even the bottle bags had black cats on (until recently I had 3 black cats)

AlexaTwoAtT Wed 16-Nov-16 21:30:29

I expect cat cards. I have one cat!

AlexaTwoAtT Wed 16-Nov-16 21:31:29

The cat cards only. Not cat anything else.

RubbishMantra Wed 16-Nov-16 21:32:26

^ claw-riddled ignorant swines^ grin

On a serious note though, Whoooo, your DH doesn't just let random cats follow him home and keep them without getting them scanned at the vet for a microchip does he?

iklboo Wed 16-Nov-16 21:41:01

My birthday cards referenced cats, wine & gin. It was fine. I do like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now