Talk

Advanced search

Outrageous sexism alert.

(245 Posts)
derxa Wed 16-Nov-16 18:29:08

I was at an agricultural trade fair/show today (AgriScot). I went to look at quad bikes because ours is knackered. i asked the salesman about one of them. He said, 'Do you want it for a toy?' What would be the perfect MN response?

Meadows76 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:31:17

How is that sexist?

JustAnotherSadOldNumber Wed 16-Nov-16 18:32:42

Did you want it for a toy?

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Nov-16 18:32:55

I'm not sure I understand?

Did he mean do you want it for work or leisure?

How is that sexist?

derxa Wed 16-Nov-16 18:32:56

He assumed I wanted a quad bike as a toy because I was a woman. I run a sheep farm.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 16-Nov-16 18:33:24

"Yes, I plan to play at rounding up toy sheep with with it on our 1000 acre toy farm, you twat".

EveOnline2016 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:33:42

Depends if I wanted it for a toy or for any other use.

PilkoPumpPants Wed 16-Nov-16 18:33:46

I'd pressume it would be used for fun and not for actual work though. Male or female.

mrsmalcolmreynolds Wed 16-Nov-16 18:33:50

Meadows presumably because OP thinks this wouldn't have been said to a man looking to buy a quad bike?

JustAnotherSadOldNumber Wed 16-Nov-16 18:33:56

I think the perfect response would have been, "Yes, i have some land i mess around on." or "no, i need it for [insert reason]."

WLF46 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:03

"Yes" or "no" perhaps!?

The salesman wants to know what you'll be using it for, so that he can help you get the right one!

I'm fucking outraged on your behalf, he gives all salesmen a bad name, trying to help you out like that.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:14

^^ Sheep was a lucky guess, derxa!

derxa Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:33

Well if I had been a man he would never have said that. Farmers don't use quad bikes as toys/leisure.

WLF46 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:51

You don't know he assumed you wanted it for a toy as you're a woman. You are assuming that.

FindoGask Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:53

I bet there's not as many women as men who run sheep farms. He made an assumption based on his experience - wrongly, but it wasn't a terrible one. If he'd continued in the same vein after you'd put him straight, that would have been sexist.

JustAnotherSadOldNumber Wed 16-Nov-16 18:34:59

He assumed I wanted a quad bike as a toy because I was a woman

Lot's of people buy them the mess around on.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Nov-16 18:35:37

How did he 'assume' you wanted it for a toy, when he asked a question?

JustAnotherSadOldNumber Wed 16-Nov-16 18:35:41

if I had been a man he would never have said that

Actually he probably would have,

Namechangeemergency Wed 16-Nov-16 18:35:51

I don't think he would have said it to a man either.

I am about as urban as you can be but I understand that quads are a vital bit of kit on a farm these days.

Perhaps people are responding to you in a puzzled way because they are not aware of this?

(I only know because I have friends who farm, otherwise I would be clueless)

Meadows76 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:35:58

He assumed I wanted a quad bike as a toy because I was a woman did he? Or maybe he was the type to describe these really cool quad bikes as toys. Many people do. Once my DH bought a tractor and the salesman said 'you are going to have a lot of fun with that big toy'

I'm sorry, I missed the sexism completely and even after explanation can't see it.

Over sensitive maybe?

JustAnotherSadOldNumber Wed 16-Nov-16 18:36:45

"you can't have a bike you're a woman"

Would have been sexist.

Asking if it was a toy isn't....

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 16-Nov-16 18:37:44

You don't know that he was being sexist. You are assuming. And how the hell is this AIBU?

gunsandbanjos Wed 16-Nov-16 18:37:50

If he'd asked if you were buying it for your husband that would possibly be sexist.

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Nov-16 18:37:53

Jesus wept

I think you're assuming far more than you're accusing the seller of assuming here.

Anyway, what did he say when you pointed out you thought his question was sexist?

ego147 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:38:03

You could have asked him some technical questions so he realised that his initial comment was out of order. Then told him that you were going elsewhere where the sales person doesn't make sexist assumptions.

Channel your inner Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman.

Once you've got your quad bike, go back to the sales man and tell him 'big mistake'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now