Talk

Advanced search

To detest the word(s) gifting/gifted

(26 Posts)
Approximateh0usewife Wed 16-Nov-16 12:43:48

Reminds me too much of the kardashians.

What's wrong with giving and receiving?

mickeyjohn Wed 16-Nov-16 13:05:07

Yes yes yes! When did it become a verb?!!!! Arghh!

claraschu Wed 16-Nov-16 13:06:10

Horrible words. I also hate gifted when applied to children. Ugh.

Guitargirl Wed 16-Nov-16 13:10:17

I don't even like the word 'gift'. It just sounds like people trying to make their presents sound posher.

iklboo Wed 16-Nov-16 13:13:25

Gift means poison in German. Gifting / gifted makes me think of nefarious practices.

SheSparkles Wed 16-Nov-16 13:15:11

YANBU. Add it to birthing/birthed. Also "we're pregnant"

DustyOwl Wed 16-Nov-16 13:25:10

I wince every time I hear, however no one around me seems to mind. confused

HarmlessChap Wed 16-Nov-16 13:27:21

But gift has been used as a verb for centuries and is also listed in the OED as a verb so really YABU, it may not be awfully common but its not grammatically incorrect.

waterrat Wed 16-Nov-16 13:30:31

Thought u were referring to gifted children. I really dislike that. As if all children aren't gifted . Sorry...not what you meant !

donkey86 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:30:46

Agreed. Gave, not gifted.

limitedperiodonly Wed 16-Nov-16 13:36:17

I hate it too.

Topseyt Wed 16-Nov-16 13:54:47

Sorry, but it isn't wrong at all. Gift can be used as either a noun or a verb.

In the legal and financial world "to gift" and "to give" have slightly different meanings.

If you "gift" money then it is considered a gift and you are not expecting it back.

However, you would "give" someone a loan (and expect repayments). A loan is not gifted because it is not a gift.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 16-Nov-16 13:58:06

I don't mind gifting or gift.

Grab, on the other hand..... "Can I grab a ticket from you tomorrow?" "Shall we grab a sandwich?"

No!

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 16-Nov-16 14:00:39

In terms of giving presents, I can see it being used e.g.

'I was going to lend these baby clothes to my friend, but decided I'd gift them to her instead' - therefore defining the difference between giving as in lending as opposed to giving with no expectation of a return.

'Gifted children', as a phrase, can fuck right off though.

myfavouritecolourispurple Wed 16-Nov-16 14:41:29

OP - you are so right.

Some of these things are just bandwaggoning - this is one, "curate" is another (what's wrong with choose or select) and another one is "impacting" instead of "affecting".

I was going to lend these baby clothes to my friend, but decided I'd gift them to her instead

What's wrong with

I was going to lend these baby clothes to my friend, but decided I'd give them to her instead?

I think it's still clear from the context.

HarmlessChap Wed 16-Nov-16 15:02:52

Some of these things are just bandwaggoning

AIBU to hate when people shorten phrases such as jumping on the band wagon into one portmanteau word such as bandwagoning (even if the also spell it wrong) grin

Theoretician Wed 16-Nov-16 15:21:07

We've had this exact topic before. As has already been pointed out on this one, gifting and giving do not necessarily have exactly the same meaning.

Theoretician Wed 16-Nov-16 15:25:39

I was going to lend these baby clothes to my friend, but decided I'd gift them to her instead

There's nothing wrong with replacing "gift" with "give" in that sentence, but there is also nothing wrong with "gift" in the first place. Presumably it just grates because it's less familiar. If people use it more often, it will stop grating, and a useful word with a slightly more specific meaning won't be driven out of the language.

I reckon though of us who care about language have a duty to use "gift" instead of "give" whenever it's appropriate. (I admit I never use it though.)

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 16-Nov-16 15:30:11

Sourced and gifted both irritate me. Stop making a meal out of everything! You bought a present, you are not the Messiah!

ItShouldHaveBeenJingleJess Wed 16-Nov-16 15:45:32

Yes to both sourced and gifted! Horrible words.

Mondegreens Wed 16-Nov-16 16:03:08

They both make me want to scream, tbh -- there's a kind of wide-eyed mummy-blogger virtue-signalling going on that I find really fucking annoying. 'Gave' is perfectly clear as an alternative to 'lent'. And 'gift' meaning 'present' just makes me think of gold, frankincense and myrrh, rather than a cheap Body Shop bodywash and loofah.

HeyRobot Wed 16-Nov-16 17:15:06

purple I had to read that a second time as the first time I was confused why you hated a member of the clergy grin

BertrandRussell Wed 16-Nov-16 17:20:14

Not quite as bad as "snacking".......

MatchyMatcha Wed 16-Nov-16 17:21:00

It's better than ' sourced ' which will forever send you to my fucking pretentious twat category, with no chance of return.
I heard ' re-imagined ' the other day, which is a fancy way of saying ' up-cycled ' or ' re-purposed ' apparently, like those two words weren't bad enough. ffs.

BertrandRussell Wed 16-Nov-16 17:23:16

When I was young "gift" and "present" were toilet/loo words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now