Talk

Advanced search

to return the unwanted cards/coasters etc that come in the post?

(12 Posts)
unlucky83 Wed 16-Nov-16 12:23:08

I hate the appeals from big charities that send out cards, coasters, book marks especially at this time of year -surely most of it ends up in landfill. And you can't just chuck it straight into the recycle paper bin -cos of the coasters.
I used to stick the stuff in the charity shop box but not sure they can actually sell it...
I know it must work or the charities wouldn't do it ...but it makes my teeth itch. I would never give to a charity who sent out this crap...
So AIBU to write 'Not wanted -please return' on the envelopes and stick them back in the post box?

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 16-Nov-16 12:24:41

Definitely do that - they should then remove you from their database. I totally agree, the bloody things are endemic these days and a complete nuisance.

unlucky83 Wed 16-Nov-16 12:27:07

Some don't even have your address on - they must go to everyone.
(I am on the Mail preference service but apparently that's only if things are addressed to you)

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 16-Nov-16 12:27:43

It annoys me too. The Red Cross do it a couple of times a year, and recently the Mouth and Foot painting artists are doing it too. I know it's a good cause but the MFPA want £7 for a set of half a dozen cards. I feel guilty but can't afford to donate. I may start doing the same, sending them back unopened.

Wookiecookies Wed 16-Nov-16 12:30:28

Ugh, YANBU I once got an unsolicited letter from a charity (cant recall which) with a 2p coin attached to it, apparently, this was to help me understand and appreciate the cost of sending out the letter, so I should return it to them plus an extra donation to ensure "their trust in sending me this coin was rewarded" WTAF?

Its such a monumental waste of the charity's money that has already been kindly donated, so that puts me off donating to that charity, as I believe my money will just be placed into a kitty for this stupid endless cycle of marketing crap. Sort of misses the point somewhat doesnt it?

BTW, the coin went into a totally unrelated charity box grin

unlucky83 Wed 16-Nov-16 12:35:47

I figure by sending them back the charity will have to pay the post office to deal with them - which makes me feel guilty that will be using donated money - but then enough people do it maybe it won't be cost effective and they will stop sending it.
And it is trying to guilt trip you into donating...which I object to too.
Does anyone actually find any of this stuff useful -want it? Does anyone actually donate because of it?

Arfarfanarf Wed 16-Nov-16 13:37:46

I keep them.
I can always use a pen and a card.
I normally throw away the coasters.
Doesnt make me donate.

flowery Wed 16-Nov-16 13:42:23

It's a shame from the environmental point of view but I don't allow myself to get annoyed by it because I know they get more donations that way.

claraschu Wed 16-Nov-16 13:43:09

I hate it too, but wouldn't want to do something that would cost the charity money. I got a really annoying one from Barnardo's yesterday. If I were feeling really energetic, I might email a complaint to them.

SeaRabbit Wed 16-Nov-16 13:46:34

MFPA:
www.theguardian.com/money/2010/nov/27/mfpa-charity-cards-returns

mumonashoestring Wed 16-Nov-16 13:49:49

I return them with a note to say I won't donate to any charity that pisses donations up the wall on poorly thought out marketing campaigns.

Probably doesn't make a difference but feels like less of a waste than just chucking it in the bin.

5Foot5 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:52:56

SugarMiceIntheRain I was having a mini-rant at the Mouth and Foot Painters only yesterday - and it was £7.95 they wanted!

Don't get me wrong, I do buy charity cards. In fact I bought this years cards last Saturday. Throughout November our local library devote a room to their sale and it is staffed by volunteers. There are cards from lots of charities there from well known nationwide ones to small, local ones.

But that is my choice. I hate the idea that someone thinks they can guilt trip me in to buying their cars by sending me unsolicited goods.

I suppose it must work or they wouldn't do it but it still annoys me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now